• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Road trip time!

Also the plan now is to fix up the svt and sell it if anyone is interested. I really want to keep it since it will be a pretty nice car with a lot of new parts, but I can really use the money to get the cougar going, sick of just looking at it sitting there.

I called around locally for the right shim, all these clowns pulled up some weird parts like I was speaking a different language to them. So I called the great guys at Tousley and they knew exactly what I needed, had to be special ordered from Detroit, waited awhile for that and finally was able to seal the trans back up. Found a T-red hood the other day at the yard as well. And today the weather was just too nice to not take advantage of, got the motor in after a lot of cursing at the shift cables. Buy some fluids and another couple hours of work and this thing should be doing burn outs.... NOT!

photo-84_zps9bc4cc04.jpg

photo-85_zpsa2665747.jpg

ITS ALIVE!! Well it runs again at least, still have some things to do. Need to bleed the clutch better, and buy a damn power steering pump since the PO let it go dry and is now making a horrible screeching noise. And when the UIM was off and sitting on the floor I managed to kick the TPS and shattered it so I need one of them as well. I am getting excited, never have driven a stock SVT before, only pulled out blown ones and put 3Ls in.

All these new parts and fresh fluids make me want to keep it, hmm cougar done or clean DD...:confused:

I knew this would happen, got it driving today and im in love. PS pump decided to stop screeching which is good, but I still plan to swap in a new one at some point. The TPS still connects and hangs on there barely so its good for a lil while. Now I know why the car came with new strut mounts, talk about clunk clunk clunk over every bump from almost all four corners, mostly front right. Good news is I got it all put together and no problems really, no CEL, nothing. Got it up to 70 on the highway and the only concerns are the tires and the strut mounts. The newer clutch grabs amazing, no grinds or anything, the brand new BAT struts are awesome around the corners, engine pulls great and runs/idles flawless. Forgot how fun these cars are to drive! Put the truck in the garage, got my daily items out and off I go in the contour, feels gooood.

Still some work to do, little things to fix/buy. Tomorrow I should be getting it smogged and plated. And the exterior still needs a good detail. Better pics will come as I get everything buttoned up on it.

photo-87_zps3309b0ca.jpg

photo-86_zpsb2935ffc.jpg

Nice work. Just got myself a pre98 diff in the mail today. Probably wont be going in for a while but it will be nice to not have to worry about the pos thats in thier now. Let me know when you want that ps pump and tps sensor.

Pre-98 diff is the way to go if you cant afford an LSD.

And yea man I was pretty shocked about the strut mounts too, especially at only 90k. Sure did get rid of the clunking noise and binding when turning at full lock, just need to track down another slight noise coming from the front end.

Yes and because of them jumping those railroad tracks the control arms are also shot I think, something is making noise. The headlights do indeed need attention, ill get to it after all the mechanicals are fixed. I like how they are black already tho.

Just placed the order with Rockauto. Mevotech front control arms, tie rods, and front endlinks. Moog rear endlinks, and Raybestos rear sway bar bushings. Also ordered a new regulator for the drivers side window. Hopefully all the parts get here soon so I can get them installed, get new tires and an alignment done, and enjoy the new car feel.

Just placed the order with Rockauto. Mevotech front control arms, tie rods, and front endlinks. Moog rear endlinks, and Raybestos rear sway bar bushings. Also ordered a new regulator for the drivers side window. Hopefully all the parts get here soon so I can get them installed, get new tires and an alignment done, and enjoy the new car feel.

What is your driver side window doing? You just getting the click? I just ordered a regulator/motor too.

What is your driver side window doing? You just getting the click? I just ordered a regulator/motor too.

The regulator was completely gone when I got the car, so I get nothing when I hit the switch. I got pulled over the other night and right as I was about to reach inside the door to pull the window down ghetto style the cop just drove off, thats about when my heart stopped pounding.

Everything was supposed to be delivered today which would have been great so I could install it all tomorrow(sunday). Its snowing here pretty good, saw several UPS trucks out, and the USPS lady delivering, checked FedEx this morning and it said out on truck for delivery, just checked again and now it says no attempt made will deliver on next business day. Just more proof that FedEx sucks.

Now dis b***h feels SOLID! Had some screaming brakes that will drive one insane so I put some grease on the pads, hopefully thats the fix cus I dont see anything else wrong with them. Got the regulator in but I am missing a bolt so tomorrow after I get that it will sure be nice to have a door panel and not have to reach inside the door after every bump to push the window back up, not to mention all the road noise. Tomorrow morning shes going in for new tires and an alignment, once the donut is gone THEN I will feel confident taking some corners in this thing!

photo-89_zpsdee3e710.jpg

photo-90_zps773f26c3.jpg

photo-91_zps1b9e2bf4.jpg

New tires are on, window and door panel are completed, brakes are quiet, new windshield wipers and batteries for the remote done. Only things left are clearing up the headlights and fixing the broken headrest.

Back