• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Road trip time!

Built the workbench the other day so I wouldnt be working on the tranny on the floor. Spent a couple hours in the garage tonight got the car in the air and started removing everything around the trans. How do you guys support the engine while the trans is out? I know you can get the support tool but I would rather not spend the money.

photo-63_zpsdd35158f.jpg

That is a awesome work bench u built there. As for supporting the engine idk. I always just pull both out the top no matter what I'm doing.. Once did it just to clean the engine bay hahaha

Sounds easy enough. I have a pre-98 diff coming from Terry, and just went today and bought the tools to check preload and press races and bearings in.

Good call on the pre98 diff. I just contacted him last week about one. Dont think I need it anymore as I think my issue was elsewhere, but prob. going to still pick one up for when I pull my engine in a few months.

Pulling the whole engine seems like less of a headach to me and much safer as well, so here we are...

photo-64_zpsf599c8fb.jpg

photo-65_zps45060393.jpg

Took the power washer and some degreaser to the engine bay today then wiped it down, no more black gunk everywhere.

photo-68_zps790f9231.jpg

The car already has a new clutch at 90k, and the guy was a police officer too so I am not sure what happened, maybe he was not soo good with the clutch and really jerky which would be hard on the diff.

Got back into town on monday to see that the diff arrived from HMS

photo-71_zpsb45e3811.jpg

Bolted the vice down, swapped the ring gear etc and measured what size shim I need, .072 it is!

photo-70_zps1dcaa56b.jpg

Having the right tool for the job always makes life easier, especially since I plan to pop the stock FDR back in the coug that I had HMS send me as well.

photo-69_zps5b82e76e.jpg

Back