• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Project - Face Lift -

Not fully understanding the differences between the Mondeo front and the Contours... couldn't you just purchase the Mondeo fenders and headlights to match up with your bumper cover. Then modify the bumper like you are planning and call it a day?

The Mondeo fenders won't line up with the Contour front doors

Not fully understanding the differences between the Mondeo front and the Contours... couldn't you just purchase the Mondeo fenders and headlights to match up with your bumper cover. Then modify the bumper like you are planning and call it a day?

you'd have to change the core support to make that happen too. the front clip of the mondeo is a full 2" shorter or more. mostly because their crash test ratings and such are much less, hardly exsistent if you will. i looked at this thing for a while with B and you can see by looking at the bumper that you can't mix and match mondeo parts to a contour. its all gotta be molded in :)

Unfortunately it is like TRicker says. Pictures are very deceiving and while everything looks very similar, they are actually really far off from one another. The biggest thing being the front end unibody structure on the Mondeo is physically shorter than the Contour. So while it might sound easier to get fenders, hood, headlights, inner bumper structure, and a bumper shipped over and just bolt the stuff on; the actual size of these parts is shorter. So now you're into cutting off your entire core support and having a Mondeo core support shipped over and having to weld that into place. Who knows what that will do to subframe mounts and what not. There is a slight possibility the motor is even set back closer to the firewall on Mondeos.
Plus its like Brent372 mentioned. The fender gap is different to the door line gap so you would have to graft in your stock fenders.

All in all its way too much work and unless you're dough boy fresh the cash for these parts/shipping will put you in the poor house. :cool:

Unfortunately it is like TRicker says. Pictures are very deceiving and while everything looks very similar, they are actually really far off from one another. The biggest thing being the front end unibody structure on the Mondeo is physically shorter than the Contour. So while it might sound easier to get fenders, hood, headlights, inner bumper structure, and a bumper shipped over and just bolt the stuff on; the actual size of these parts is shorter. So now you're into cutting off your entire core support and having a Mondeo core support shipped over and having to weld that into place. Who knows what that will do to subframe mounts and what not. There is a slight possibility the motor is even set back closer to the firewall on Mondeos.
Plus its like Brent372 mentioned. The fender gap is different to the door line gap so you would have to graft in your stock fenders.

All in all its way too much work and unless you're dough boy fresh the cash for these parts/shipping will put you in the poor house. :cool:

Right on. So yea... probably better of cutting off the lower half of the bumper and stitch welding the upper/fender well portion of the SVT bumper to it. If done correctly it will be seamless.

you only have to use the side. he will want to use the upper middle section of the mondeo bumper, as thats what makes it so cool looking ;) the euro plate molding. you'll see what he does. he's using as little of the contour bumper as possible to keep the mondeo bumper lines intact, but match up to the headlight and fender properly.

wow! just wow! remember, i still have those mondeo morettes. B)

i was really hoping to be able to buy this bumper within the next year before others remembered that mikey still had it. i want to do the exact same thing. i'm amazed at how long it went unsold.

No. the inner fender wells & radiator support are different. you'd almost have to weld on the entire front end for a direct swap

Not sure how many of you have taken your bumpers off along with the crash bumper, but under the crash bumper, on the core support there is a stamping of metal that sticks forward roughly 1.5". Since the crash bumper is virtually wide open/kicks forward on the backside it doesn't come into play and is of no consequence...obviously it was designed this way from Ford.
For me, its a problem so I had to build around it. The "box" looking piece is what I made up to dodge this stamping on the core support. The front of my crash bumper now has the curve to match the Mondeo bumper.
DSC01570.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

Not my best welds, but not my worst either. Aluminum can be a real SOB to weld sometimes. If you don't have a drinking problem...start welding aluminum and you will! :laugh:
DSC01571.jpg

DSC01573.jpg

Thats all for now folks.
Late

if those arent your best welds holy crap i would hate to see your best. that look great!

Thanks guys!! You know how it is when it comes to criticism...you're your own worst enemy. Welding .063 aluminum can be a real mo fo. Thicker stock is so much easier. I can see where I goofed. I don't know if my blood sugar was low or what, but I developed a serious case of the shakes part way through.
Just looking for a little more consistency is all. :cool:

I don't even want to know what nekid wimmin do to you.

Nekid wimmin make my wee wee vomit!

Thanks guys!! You know how it is when it comes to criticism...you're your own worst enemy. Welding .063 aluminum can be a real mo fo. Thicker stock is so much easier. I can see where I goofed. I don't know if my blood sugar was low or what, but I developed a serious case of the shakes part way through.

Come weld my mouth shut! :shocked::shocked:

i see it:cool:

Back