• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Project - Face Lift -

CrazyTalkSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Earlier this spring, when there was still a little snow on the ground, I was in the shop finishing up my fog light mod. I got it finished and was happy with the results, but I was also very discouraged with the road rash on my bumper....so much in fact, that it completely took away from the fog lights. Frustrated as all hell, I kept telling myself I have to do something about it.

A week or so later fate came knocking at my door. I came across an old thread on CEG and the next thing ya know the Wife and I are heading towards Chicago to take a sad, neglected, and lonely Mondeo bumper from M!key's garage.

It is so odd to me that a bumper could feel so alone being tucked away with Mike and his family when the hospitality of them puts high class hotels to shame. To say the least they are good...make that GREAT people! Hope to chill with them again asap.

This is my thread dedicated to the facial surgery of my SVT. Bare with me on what I'm sure will be slow updates. I'll do the best I can with all the other stuff I'm juggling at the moment.

First an older picture sneaking out of the bush:
Picture007.jpg

Fog mods, dust, and bug splats:
DSC01546.jpg

Off with the old and into TRicker's hands:
DSC01548.jpg

Cut some stuff out of the way and got the bumper up there:
DSC01552.jpg

Thanks so much guys! I'll do my best not to dilly dally with this project.
Your guys praise is highly motivating for me!!

If you need help with this at all, don't as me....I work for the government so all I can do is sit around and watch and supervise. :laugh:

Looking at the pics again, the fitment doesn't even seem that bad at ALL. I can totally see the OP pulling this off. A little bit of filler under the headlight, smoothed out to the body line underneath, and filling in to match up with the fender. :shrug:

Looking at the pics again, the fitment doesn't even seem that bad at ALL. I can totally see the OP pulling this off. A little bit of filler under the headlight, smoothed out to the body line underneath, and filling in to match up with the fender. :shrug:

I think this would be the best way to fit the bumper, if it can be done with pre98 bumper and a mk1 euro bumper, it can be done with this!
IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

I don't think the body lines match up close enough to be able to mold the two bumpers. I think it'll be much easier to modify the Mondeo bumper.

holy crap - I didn't even know he sold that to ya. Nice project! Get'r done.

I would say get the mondy headlights and front fenders and it should be close enough to trim and align where needed.....

I don't think the body lines match up close enough to be able to mold the two bumpers. I think it'll be much easier to modify the Mondeo bumper.

If you look at the pictures hotdimmes posted earlier you will see that bagged has built a molded front bumper from a mondeo aftermarket bumper, he ran into the same issues once started, and molding the top part of the contour bumper to the bottom part of the mondeo bumper made it easier to do some fiberglassing to make the body lines match up, its just a lot of tedious work at that point.

holy crap - I didn't even know he sold that to ya. Nice project! Get'r done.

I would say get the mondy headlights and front fenders and it should be close enough to trim and align where needed.....

Believe it or not but mondeo fenders are considerably different than contour fenders, IIRC the fender wont fit in place because it is wider around the area where the fender meets the doors, it would very much so overlap. I think it was measured to be a full inch longer than the contour fender. Not that it isnt impossible to make it fit, anything can be made to fit ;)

*sigh*

The MK1 bumper is completely different than the bumper CrazyTalk now has, which is an MK2. The MK1 and pre98 match up better than the MK2 and 98+. The 98+ bumper is a closer match to the pre98/MK1 bumper than it is an MK2. But then again, this is all my opinion from what I have seen in pictures. :shrug:

Back