• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

official pre98 only thread

Because a driver can't drive a car to its potential means that it can't run a certain speed on a regular basis? :shrug:
even if the average SE does run a 15.8, i was running 16.3-4 consistantly. thats not that much slower. i probably could have gotten the times down even closer if i had a good clutch (not one with over 200K miles on it) and stickier tires.

even if the average SE does run a 15.8, i was running 16.3-4 consistantly. thats not that much slower. i probably could have gotten the times down even closer if i had a good clutch (not one with over 200K miles on it) and stickier tires.

That is a half a second faster. How is that not much slower? And my clutch was good on mine with over 200K miles....no slipping at all. :laugh:

That is a half a second faster. How is that not much slower? And my clutch was good on mine with over 200K miles....no slipping at all. :laugh:
IMO a half second in those time ranges isnt that much faster. now a half second in the 9-10 second range is quite a bit faster.

and my clutch wasnt slipping but i was worried about launching it too hard. and considering one of the dampner springs it blew up shortly after im glad i didnt launch it hard.

look at it this way, i had ~125WHP in the lighter car. the SE has ~136WHP in the heavier car. thats only a difference of 11WHP but the zetec is probably a good 100+ lbs lighter. its a damn good race either way.

zetec isnt really that much lighter than a duratec. zetec is cast iron,the duratec is aluminum. iirc it was like 30-50lbs lighter from what i remember reading back in the day:shrug:

zetec isnt really that much lighter than a duratec. zetec is cast iron,the duratec is aluminum. iirc it was like 30-50lbs lighter from what i remember reading back in the day:shrug:
ok, so add the weight of power windows, a power seat, folding rear seats, and whatever other extra stuff that the SE has that the standard GL doesnt and its getting close to the 100lb mark.

BTW im pretty sure the duratech was about 70-80lbs heavier than the zetec. ill have to look it up.

IMO a half second in those time ranges isnt that much faster. now a half second in the 9-10 second range is quite a bit faster.

and my clutch wasnt slipping but i was worried about launching it too hard. and considering one of the dampner springs it blew up shortly after im glad i didnt launch it hard.

look at it this way, i had ~125WHP in the lighter car. the SE has ~136WHP in the heavier car. thats only a difference of 11WHP but the zetec is probably a good 100+ lbs lighter. its a damn good race either way.

Figure 15% loss with the MTX on each car and those should be around 115whp for the ztec and 145whp for the duratec. You must have had an over powered 4 cyl and and underpowered SE. LOL.

Also where does the 100+lbs come from? The zetec is a cast iron block vs. an aluminum in the 6. Both weigh the same.---------doh someone beat me to it

Last edited:

40 lbs is the diff between the 08 and 07 STi's and the 08 runs a 13.4, the 07 ran a 13 flat. The 08 even has an extra 15 hp over the 07...

so what are you all trying to get at here....? I hope it results in more pics!

Figure 15% loss with the MTX on each car and those should be around 115whp for the ztec and 145whp for the duratec. You must have had an over powered 4 cyl and and underpowered SE. LOL.

Also where does the 100+lbs come from? The zetec is a cast iron block vs. an aluminum in the 6. Both weigh the same.---------doh someone beat me to it
ok 160HP*.85=136 :troutslap:

and mine was slightly modded (intake, exhaust, and UDP) i have a dyno before the UDP at 120WHP. figure a few ponies for the UDP and its up to about ~125WHP :p

The duratech 2.5/3.0L weighs in at 360Lbs according to this.

im still working on finding the weight of the Zetec.

Where's all the pics? I was so excited with all the replies and it's you guys arguing between the Zetec and Duratec :troutslap:

Needs more pre98 pics

old_left_hand_shot

^^crappy razi side skirts^^

723264_41_full.jpg

stazi II on a pre98
723264_62_full.jpg

723264_66_full.jpg

'
DSCF0096.JPG

same car as above,first attempt at painting anything,and added mondeo clear corners and svt front brakes
723264_110_full.jpg

723264_141_full.jpg

complete svt interior swap

pre98 to post98 front end conversion
723264_183_full.jpg

Last edited:
hope that helps...and yes,they are ALL the same car:laugh: :cool:
I want to know how you did the Stazi mesh in the pre98 grill. if its fairly easy then i may try to get some more stazi mesh for my pre98 (i already have it in the SVT).

it takes some "creative" thinking. i removed the stock grill completely,getting it to stay mounted was tricky.

hey Jim, i think i recognize that body kit. i wonder where its at now....

oh yeah, its on my car.:D:D:D

Back