• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OEM Carbon Fiber Hoods Group Buy - 1998-2000 Contour

Can you weigh it if you didn't already? That's what I'm most interested in. Also I didn't see an answer to my question of the company actually producing the examples we'd be getting in the GB. Thanks.

Can you weigh it if you didn't already? That's what I'm most interested in. Also I didn't see an answer to my question of the company actually producing the examples we'd be getting in the GB. Thanks.

It is already on my car, so I dont' think I am willing to take it off to weight it, but it is considerably ligher than the stock hood, since I took them both off myself, and you almost need two people to handl the steel hood.

The hoods are produced by C-West. They had great molds and they went bankrupt. Aerokits picked up the remainder of the hoods and are offering them to sell it.

You know I'd like to know what happened to the molds for this thing. Seems like there could be a benefit in having it.

It's in the first post
If you're referring to the line, "The hood was produced by the now non existant company CWEST," the operative word is "was," implying that a finite number are still available, and as I recall the previous interest thread mentioned ten. Since this group buy needs "at least 5" but doesn't mention a maximum, it sounded as if some other company was going to reproduce them. I've been following the threads, it was a legitimate question. Thanks Mani for answering. So Aerokits is selling the CWEST product; does that mean that this is in fact capped at ten or whatever the remaining inventory is?

It is already on my car, so I dont' think I am willing to take it off to weight it.
I can understand that, but surely the seller would be willing to weigh some if you asked nicely? It'd be nice to have some data on variation as a quality check as well. Sorry if I'm coming across as difficult, just pursuing this information due to serious interest.

If you're referring to the line, "The hood was produced by the now non existant company CWEST," the operative word is "was," implying that a finite number are still available, and as I recall the previous interest thread mentioned ten. Since this group buy needs "at least 5" but doesn't mention a maximum, it sounded as if some other company was going to reproduce them. I've been following the threads, it was a legitimate question. Thanks Mani for answering. So Aerokits is selling the CWEST product; does that mean that this is in fact capped at ten or whatever the remaining inventory is?

I can understand that, but surely the seller would be willing to weigh some if you asked nicely? It'd be nice to have some data on variation as a quality check as well. Sorry if I'm coming across as difficult, just pursuing this information due to serious interest.

I think there is about 5-6 hoods.

We can always ask them to weight it, they probably have an idea since they shipped it out.

The quality is higher than what I expected, the carbon fiber wraps around to the underskin, and it is about 1 inches of wrap which is something you don't see often anymore.

I got my car back today, once the weather is nicer, I'll put it out and take some pictures.

I was able to get the car out today to snap a few pictures showing more details of the hood.

For those who had doubts about the quality, there should be no more doubts about it now.

Attachments

• PhotoEffects-6346&#.jpg
    PhotoEffects-6346&#.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
    PhotoEffects-6346&#.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
    PhotoEffects-6346&#.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
    PhotoEffects-6346&#.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
    PhotoEffects-6346&#.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0
where did you get those hood "pins"?
that hood looks amazing!!!!....someone buy my cowl hood so i can get this

What do you have holding your hood prop there?

Because of the hood latch rods, I had to move the prop over, so it won't go any higher than that. THere is nothing holding the hood prop there, the hood is quite light, so even at that odd angle it holds it there.

where did you get those hood "pins"?
that hood looks amazing!!!!....someone buy my cowl hood so i can get this

The hood pins are Aerocatch latches. Beware of fake ones around. They are rather nice, and work out great too. Used on some LeMans cars as well.

Well reading back through the thread... since it's now April it appears that dairdevyld potentially would now be in... I'll let him chime in otherwise.

1. CSVT#49
2. Redlineracer12
3. YOOOO
4. dairdevyld (maybe?)

That said... how many people do we really need? Can we get this going with 4?

1. CSVT#49
2. Redlineracer12
3. YOOOO
4. dairdevyld (maybe?)
5. rollinstylee (pending detail)

I'll tentatively add my name, but I'd still like to see a weight number from the company and a schedule for delivery before committing.

Someone PM me the details for this company... I'll get this GB going. Even if I have to buy two hoods and sell one later... I hate waiting for something like this. I can sell one of these on flea bay for a profit after the fact pretty easily I'd imagine.

Also can we get some pics of the underside of the hood? I'm curious to see what the skeleton looks like and how many layers of CF they use with respect to fiberglass... I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier... can you take a flash light and shine it from one side and see if you can see the light coming out the other? A lot of these companies really go cheap and use one layer of CF (aesthetic layer) and then use fiberglass for the remainder of the hood. This in itself is not worth very much given you can buy 3k 5.7oz 2x2 twill CF at 60" wide at $40-45 a yard if you bought it in low quantities... so for ~$140 you can have at least 3 layers of CF... if you made it yourself... well plus resins, gel coats, time to make a mold, etc. This takes a lot of time and money, which is why it has taken me so much time to do my trunk. So if the quality, and price is right... I'm willing to pay to avoid all of this time needed for making my own. I'm guessing this is where rollinstylee is concerned with weight as this would be a good indicator of how much fiberglass they used.

Last edited:
Back