• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Noble 3.0L Twin Turbo Build

Hey man, just a friendly warning, but you really need to do a lot more reading and learning and research in general, or else you're going to end up wasting a lot of time, money and effort, regardless of whether you actually accomplish your goal or not. Your posts make it clear that there is still a LOT about contours/cougars, the Duratec engine, and turbo setups that you still don't understand. I'd hate to see you screw this up so bad you never finish it. I think most of the people here would love to see someone actually pull off a twin turbo in a contour or a cougar, but most of the people that do have the knowledge are pretty skeptical that anyone would go through the trouble.

I thought about that, but then realized that I cant because Im using 2.5L heads not 3.0L heads. I little more work then what I wanted. Im just going take a set of 2.5 manis and port match.
Hey genius:
cluepon.gif

Still waiting on those pictures if you have them :)

This weekend for sure. Camera broke, so had to get a new one, plus working 60 hour weeks doesnt help either. But this weekdend!

I know that the compression will be higher with the set-up im going with, it will be about 9:1, I was wrong about the compression on the pistons they are lower, i think they are 8:1.

Ya know, you would get more power to the ground *and* more street cred if you use one turbo and complete an AWD conversion.

Ok so, I know the compression is different ffrom the 2.5 and 3.0, but did some measuring on a 2.5 chamber volume and a 3.0 volume and figured out that the 3.0 heads have about 6cc more than the 2.5.

I will admit I f##ked up on that part.:nonono: My question is, if I run 3.0 heads and 3.0 block, can I still run ALL of my 2.5L parts in the same locations(powersteering and alt)? Besides like the oil pan, sump and all that.

Ok so, I know the compression is different ffrom the 2.5 and 3.0, but did some measuring on a 2.5 chamber volume and a 3.0 volume and figured out that the 3.0 heads have about 6cc more than the 2.5.

I will admit I f##ked up on that part.:nonono: My question is, if I run 3.0 heads and 3.0 block, can I still run ALL of my 2.5L parts in the same locations(powersteering and alt)? Besides like the oil pan, sump and all that.

depends ... all the info is here in the 3L forum.

Thanks, I read most of it, Ill read it again and get a parts list to get the parts from my work.

what type of 3L are you going to build? from the title of the thread I keep thinking that you are buying a noble engine, and those come complete I believe so you shouldn't have to mess with the engine, just install it.

What will I have to do to use my 2.5L SVT intake mani on the 3.0L heads? I read about using split port heads, but problems with the water pump placement.

What will I have to do to use my 2.5L SVT intake mani on the 3.0L heads? I read about using split port heads, but problems with the water pump placement.

you need the buzuiki plates and you need to port the heads ... or purchase a NPG LIM mod and just bolt everything on ....

what type of 3L are you going to build? from the title of the thread I keep thinking that you are buying a noble engine, and those come complete I believe so you shouldn't have to mess with the engine, just install it.
Yeah they do, we build them at my shop, have yall messed with the 3.0L plastic intakes, Isnt that a different set up as far as hook us?

What are you going to use for tuning? How much boost do you want to run? I wouldn't suggest using the 3L intake manifolds if you plan on running large amounts of boost. Also what about the heat issues? I'm sure two turbos especially in such a tight confined space close to the engine will generate way more heat than a single turbo setup. And from what I understand even the single turbo setps temps need to be constantly watched.

I hate sounding so negative, but if you can't even address the issues associated with a simple 3liter swap, how are you gonna do with the complications of forced induction? What kind of experience do you have with custom fabrication to such a high degree? And why post if you know the reaction is gonna be negative until you've actually finished the project? My experience has always been that the people who want something done, don't do a lot of talking/posting about it, they simply go out and do it. I suggest that focus on getting more knowledge about 3 liter swaps and your platform in general. Than weigh the positives versus negatives of a twin turbo setup. I mean seriously why? :shrug: People make great numbers with one turbo and then have traction problems anyways. Don't aim to make a name for yourself on here by doing something so complicated just focus on making your car enjoyable for yourself. The last thing you want to do is waste time and money doing something that you don't enjoy. Just my .02, good luck!:laugh:

What are you going to use for tuning? How much boost do you want to run? I wouldn't suggest using the 3L intake manifolds if you plan on running large amounts of boost. Also what about the heat issues? I'm sure two turbos especially in such a tight confined space close to the engine will generate way more heat than a single turbo setup. And from what I understand even the single turbo setps temps need to be constantly watched.

I hate sounding so negative, but if you can't even address the issues associated with a simple 3liter swap, how are you gonna do with the complications of forced induction? What kind of experience do you have with custom fabrication to such a high degree? And why post if you know the reaction is gonna be negative until you've actually finished the project? My experience has always been that the people who want something done, don't do a lot of talking/posting about it, they simply go out and do it. I suggest that focus on getting more knowledge about 3 liter swaps and your platform in general. Than weigh the positives versus negatives of a twin turbo setup. I mean seriously why? :shrug: People make great numbers with one turbo and then have traction problems anyways. Don't aim to make a name for yourself on here by doing something so complicated just focus on making your car enjoyable for yourself. The last thing you want to do is waste time and money doing something that you don't enjoy. Just my .02, good luck!:laugh:

The Nobles use the plastic intake manifolds and don't have any problem's as far as I know.

I do agree with you. Twin turbo's solves nothing when it comes to traction or more hp than a single turbo. In fact, it will only make it traction worse. But he sounds like he's got it all figured out. Hopefully you prove us wrong, but with little knowledge with the duratec and turbo systems, this project sounds like SVTProdigy's all over again and we all know the dramatic ending to that project.

FWIW, I highly doubt the car will be enjoyable. With its complexity the car will have nothing but drivability/reliability issues. Having a car with just 1 turbo was enough. I can vouch for that. Made great power, but couldn't hold an idle worth squat and you just hoped it started back up after that, had overheating issues due to the ewp, burned plenty of oil, never could get the tune the way I wanted, etc.

Last edited:
Back