• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Noble 3.0L Twin Turbo Build

I have a used garret gt28r I would sell you. Not sure if Stazi has his of that same size anymore. That would be two very appropriately sized turbos for your project.

Both are dual ball bearing oil and liquid cooled.

Good lucky with your build, PM if interested.

I believe people run the gt28r's on the nissan 300zx 3.0L with 8.5 compression pistons. I want to say i read HP# in the 400-500 range.

How are you going to package an intercooler? Going water/air is pretty much out of the question with twins since you've used up the extra space with another turbo, and the existing space behind the front bumper for an air/air is already undersized for a single turbo imho. I'm sure it can be done, but then again, I'm sure it won't be pretty. :laugh:

More power to you, but threads like these bring a lot of scrutiny because out of all the people that have claimed they are doing a twin turbo setup, everybody just ends up being all talk.

FWIW, let's not forget this is a FWD platform. Even though you want to spool up quicker, it's only going to hurt you in the long run. You might as well just throw up the engine in the trunk like the Noble/Rossion to make it RWD or just convert the car to RWD.

Out of curiosity... Where do you plan on mounting the turbo's?

Also I think an externally gated turbo will give you a lot more flexibility placement wise.

The GT turbo above might actually flow too much air for a 3L in a twin turbo application. You'd have some surging risks I think.

I would think remotely mounted (in the rear of the vehicle) twin turbos would be much more practical. I can't see them fitting inside that damned engine bay.

I think you'd have a lot more room for turbo's if you turned the intake manifold 180 degrees. Of course then you have to deal with a motor mount and other connections but it basically opens up 1/2 the engine bay for turbo's and other crap.

It also makes FMIC tubing routing much more efficient.

While you can size a single turbo correctly to get everything you want keep in mind more power down low is horrible in these cars. You will just spin the tires until you snap an axle. You don't want full boost down low. My mild 3L supercharger is already too much for 1st,2nd and part of 3rd. My centrifical supercharger puts all the power up top vs. a turbo setup where you have access to it earlier. It will be worse for you even with a single turbo.

You might as well just throw up the engine in the trunk like the Noble/Rossion to make it RWD or just convert the car to RWD.

Or better yet leave a 3.0 in the front and put one in the trunk too. 400 n/a hp and awd!

Why not do a "bi-turbo" (I think that is the correct term) setup? One small turbo and one big one in line with each other. Small one for instant boost and the big one to take over on the top end.

Why not do a "bi-turbo" (I think that is the correct term) setup? One small turbo and one big one in line with each other. Small one for instant boost and the big one to take over on the top end.

I thought this what he wants to do:shrug:

I thought this what he wants to do:shrug:

No, thats not where Im heading. I dont know if you are familiar with the new Ford deisels. They now run a "bi-turbo" set-up, on what I have read, the smaller turbo spools the big turbo for, im believing its for, the low end torque.
But the size Im running they are TD05's, a little bigger than the 3000gt twins, if that helps.
Placement of the turbos will be mounted to custom manifolds, right at the manifolds on each side. That reminds me, anyone know where I get a set of exhaust header flanges? Or I may just take some MSDS headers and cut off the flanges.
Intercooler wise, Im having one custom made that will have two inlet ports, one for each turbo, and one outlet. Have not determined dia yet. Any recs?
And I understand the fact that I will have no traction either way I go, single or twin. I also dont plan on running at a really high boost. there will be lots of testing and tuning, s##t will break, I will just have to make it better and stronger if it does. I have all the resources for machining and what not.

Just take a set of the stock exhaust manifolds and have a waterjet place make up some flanges for you.

Intercooler tubing size depends on how much HP you plan on making as does intercooler sizing.

Just take a set of the stock exhaust manifolds and have a waterjet place make up some flanges for you.

Intercooler tubing size depends on how much HP you plan on making as does intercooler sizing.

See I thought about doing that but wouldnt the precats be a problem? Are they butted right against the manis?

Not sure about the stockers, I could look at my spares when I get home tonight.

But I would just call Marty from MSDS and see if he would sell a pair of flanges. Worth a try.

See I thought about doing that but wouldnt the precats be a problem? Are they butted right against the manis?

no but if they cut there own what would the pre-cats have to do with anything anyway ... but I suppose you could cut up a stock set of manifolds for the flanges.

no but if they cut there own what would the pre-cats have to do with anything anyway ... but I suppose you could cut up a stock set of manifolds for the flanges.

No, Im talking about the amount of metal there is between the precats and the manis themselves.

Not sure about the stockers, I could look at my spares when I get home tonight.

But I would just call Marty from MSDS and see if he would sell a pair of flanges. Worth a try.

That would be awesome if you could. I dont have any at the moment. Do you by chance have a number for MSDS?

You can indeed cut off the precats and weld tube to the stock manifolds. I had one done by a friend of mine. The metal those things are made of is a pain in the butt to cut, but it seemed to weld well.

You have to work on it a bit to transition from the manifold to tube but any competent metal fab/welder should be able to do it no problem.

And what i meant in my above post was to take a stock manifold and have it taken to someplace that could copy it.

Back