• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Y-Pipe Design

DocStruthers

Veteran CEG'er
What would you like to see in it?
I don't like how expensive they can be. and how they are fairly limited with options.
I don't like how one of them has a terrible bend just below the manifold on the rear bank.

Anyway I ordered a bunch of material, tools, etc. etc.

I'll be workin on this, this weekend so anything anyone wants to see. Certain design, certain flanges maybe V band vs the ball joint with 2 bolt flanges? etc. etc.

the more equal you can make the two banks before they merge would be better and change the sound... i've never had a good look under my svt yet so i don't know how hard this would be to acheive...

so the distance the exhaust has to travel from each cylinder needs to be equal? ok

I will see if there is enough room to add a loop to the rear banks "y"
sound good?

so the distance the exhaust has to travel from each cylinder needs to be equal? ok

I will see if there is enough room to add a loop to the rear banks "y"
sound good?

Equal length on our cars.....is almost impossible to do...and trust me it would have been done, a long ago :crazy:

You can add about 4 inches more then what the stock y-pipe currently has for the rear bank. Before it becomes an issue with the engine rocking back and fourth.

So equal length piping before the collector is a high request because I am up to the challenge and I can bet you anything I can make it happen.

I have a few ideas in mind plus a few drawings of what I want to try. I am waiting on my stock headers and a stock y-pipe to get a model i guess you could say.

What do you mean by rocking back and forth? to much added weight?
Or to much pipe the pipe ends up bumping on stuff?

Equal length on our cars.....is almost impossible to do...and trust me it would have been done, a long ago :crazy:

You can add about 4 inches more then what the stock y-pipe currently has for the rear bank. Before it becomes an issue with the engine rocking back and fourth.

i would love to see him do this....most of all pull it off too.

So equal length piping before the collector is a high request because I am up to the challenge and I can bet you anything I can make it happen.

I have a few ideas in mind plus a few drawings of what I want to try. I am waiting on my stock headers and a stock y-pipe to get a model i guess you could say.

What do you mean by rocking back and forth? to much added weight?
Or to much pipe the pipe ends up bumping on stuff?

Thr rear back...has the u-bend...and it is very much needed because it is programed in our tune..and also keeps that horrible rasp that we get down to a minimal. We have found the rear bank is the main cause of our rasp. Creating a true equal length before the two pipes meet is VERY IDEAL! But since we have such a long length of front bank to the y-connector...it leaves little or no room to have the rear bank to cover that distance. Leaving us with 7 inches total of a u bend. If you increase the bend as someone years ago did. He added 4 inches more and increased cfm by 160. Over the msds v-bend that we know so much of.
You can try all you want...but unless you extend the pipe under the oil pan...which obviously nobody would want (clearance). We are stuck with an unequal y-pipe.

until I came along. I'll order a mandrel tubing kit today and get to work. I have an idea, or two.

what about having the y-pipe design basically stock except have two 2.25" flex pipes then the rear bank have a loop downstream of the flex pipes THEN a collector downstream from that. There seems to be more then enough room right there specially with the CAT gone.

so that sharp turn just under the rear bank header is needed? because of our tune? but I can get rid of that sharp bend IF I create an equal length y-pipe?

also, I have to ask what if I just ran the front bank under the oil pan? sure I'd lose some clearance but that would save a lot in getting to the equal length. for SUPER lowered cars it might not be a great idea but it's a thought. could always mount a skid plate or just deal with the scrapes. :shrug:

Going equal length will not net you that much on the positive side of this vs cost. The cost of completing this task is just too much including your time to getting everything done. Just add a bit more length to the rear bank while still keeping that bend..and you'll be fine in my book.

yea. that's what i'll most likely end up doing.
I ordered my tubing and such so we'll see what happens.

So just to clarify Doc, will you be making a y-pipe that retain's the same bend for the rear bank but just with larger piping and not such a sharp bend??

Please no one get mad, I just want to make sure I got Doc and Harry were saying :).

So just to clarify Doc, will you be making a y-pipe that retain's the same bend for the rear bank but just with larger piping and not such a sharp bend??

Please no one get mad, I just want to make sure I got Doc and Harry were saying :).
Dude, if someone could get mad over your question. They're idiots! I got yo back. You just want to be sure. No harm in that.
But no, I plan to add some tubing to the rear banks section to get a little closer to equal length. Dig?
Not larger piping but longer pipe length While keeping the bend.
yes. oh wow duh you are explaining to Mr 24. der der

Dude, if someone could get mad over your question. They're idiots! I got yo back. You just want to be sure. No harm in that.
But no, I plan to add some tubing to the rear banks section to get a little closer to equal length. Dig?

yes. oh wow duh you are explaining to Mr 24. der der

Thanks bro :cool:. Yeah I just didn't want to get "flamed" or anything lol. And I dig. I'd like to see what type of gains that'll show... Do work son!!

And yes he was :).

What would you like to see in it?
I don't like how expensive they can be. and how they are fairly limited with options.
I don't like how one of them has a terrible bend just below the manifold on the rear bank.

Anyway I ordered a bunch of material, tools, etc. etc.

I'll be workin on this, this weekend so anything anyone wants to see. Certain design, certain flanges maybe V band vs the ball joint with 2 bolt flanges? etc. etc.

The Y-pipe that came closest to being equal length that I recall was made by Brullen. There was a big Group Buy back in 2003 for these. I don't have any pictures to help you on this one. Maybe there are some pictures stashed in the Archive Forums to help guide you on this.

The Y-pipe that came closest to being equal length that I recall was made by Brullen. There was a big Group Buy back in 2003 for these. I don't have any pictures to help you on this one. Maybe there are some pictures stashed in the Archive Forums to help guide you on this.

IIRC there was some fitment issues with those y-pipes wasnt there? I still want to get my hands on a brullen exhaust......you NEVER see them anymore though :(

Im pretty sure Brullen was pretty good about resolving the fitment issue too

IIRC there was some fitment issues with those y-pipes wasnt there? I still want to get my hands on a brullen exhaust......you NEVER see them anymore though :(

Im pretty sure Brullen was pretty good about resolving the fitment issue too

I think you are right that there were some people who ran into fitment issues. I found the Brullen Group Buy Thread in the archives and it has 401 posts (41 pages). Unfortunately, the first y-pipes were received right on page 30 and the Archives cannot show beyond 30 pages of posts. No active pictures were found either.

I might have an old picture on a retired PC at home. I'll check and see if one is there. The other possibility is to PM "ghodge" since he is still active and his signature shows this Y-pipe is present.

Welllll unfortunately all my exhaust work is on hold.
Roommate drama! :(

I swear they put all this sh*t in the garage just to get •••• in my way so I can't work in there.
And I really have no room to tell them what to do since I pay super low rent and pay for no utilities.

So it's a :) :( combo LOL

I found pictures of the Brullen Y-Pipe but am having technical difficulties in uploading them from Photobucket. Bear with me. I'll eventually get it right.
BrullenY-Pipe1.jpg
BrullenY-Pipe2.jpg
(Ah, 3rd time was the charm)

Back