• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Mod: Mondeo Trip Computer, modified, the money shots!

vic, I don't know if you're aware but the fuel gauge for a 98 is different than a 98.5-00. If you install a newer gauge in a 98, it will read backwards. Swapping the fuel gauge would correct this issue for anyone doing a gauge cluster swap, but I don't know if this is the cause of the fuel remaining to say O-C.

Changing the fuel sending unit in the pump and swapping the fuel gauge may be the solution to my issue.

From a Mondeo forum regarding backwards fuel gauge:
the wiring was changed on the pumps/gauges.

Early cars with silvertop engines have a full voltage to the pump, which is then reduced by the float arm resistor and passed to the gauge where it earths.

Later cars with blacktop engines work the other way round. The gauge has a full voltage and the earth side is run down to the tank, through the float arm resistor and earths at that end.

Net result is that if you put an early pump in a late car or vice versa it will read backwards

If your car have the fuel remain reading backward your best trip computer is the one with rel 3.0, because your car has en early pump. The best matched pair will be early trip computer. Keep in mind that rel 3.0 and 5.0 have different configuration in some pins. You have write: " I'm ready to tear this whole thing out! :mad:" Don´t forget that if all things were easy almost anybody could do it. Just be patient.
Upto 1998

Pin1 vss
Pin2 not used
Pin3 ignition power
Pin4 illumination feed
Pin5 ground
Pin6 output to aws module
Pin7 not used
Pin8 fuel remain
Pin9 fuel flow
Pin10 instrument interface module
Pin11 alarm led
Pin12 memory power
Pin13 temp sensor live ?
Pln14 temp sensor negative ?
Pin15 not used
1998 Onwards

Ford revised the stock fuel tank sender to work with rEL 3.6, 4.0 and 5.0 and as a result the trips need to be wired in a little differently.
Pin1 vss
Pin2 not used
Pin3 ignition power
Pin4 illumination feed
Pin5 ground
Pin6 output to aws module
Pin7 fuel remain
Pin8 not used
Pin9 fuel flow
Pin10 instrument interface module
Pin11 alarm led
Pin12 memory power
Pin13 temp sensor live ?
Pln14 temp sensor negative ?
Pin15 live for 1998 onwards with rEL 3.6,4.0 and 5.0
Pin out taken from wikipedia and is right, but I´m not so sure about the temp sensor that´s why interrogation mark.
I need an important data: have you noted that there is an instant fuel flow and an average fuel flow? the instant fuel flow what are displaying? please switch the trip computer to liters, when in liters the fuel flow has readings even when the vehicle in neutral because the units are lt/hr. If fuel remain is not connected the only absent reading will be "distance to empty". Interface module is not connected and in the original vehicle is used to make a beep at the push off any button or when fuel remain is near to empty or when outside temp drops below 4°C. Of course I havent connect this pin nor made this amplifier, in north america the chime is quite different from europe and south america. Your contour is 3l?
Attached C421 is from europe so the color cables differs from north america vehicles.
I´ll be waiting for your photos hopping I can help with this little problem.

Attachments

• c421..pdf
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • W37Z1285..pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
I´ve just checked with a multimeter at pin 9 of Trip computer and this are the results: in ralenti measures about 10.56V if I accelerate gently Reads about 11.8 and the more gas pedal, readings raise up to almost 12.8v

I think the pin #43 wiring is actually working, but it's my fuel remaining that is the problem. Stopped at idle with the fuel flow wire connected, it shows 0 MPG. If I rev, nothing changes, but as soon as I start moving, it shows 99 MPG until I stop again. To me it seems like it's working fine but since the fuel remaining is not working, it will never show a correct reading. Just flip between 0 and 99 MPG.

vic, can you confirm by disconnecting your fuel remaining and tell me what the MPG shows without it? If it's the same, I know I just need to get the fuel remaining working and then I'm done. :)

Also, PM me your shipping address so I can send you some wiring for the main harness. You can removed your soldering direct to the PCM.

I think your problem wont be fuel remain. Many people does not connect it because of rel versions and the thing still reads fuel flow, with my original trip computer rel 1.0 I haven´t connected the fuel remain and the km/100lt (mpg) still get data. When you rev your engine be shure the trip is in liters, when the trip are in liters they show liters per hour lt/h (variable unit is hour), so don´t need to keep moving to show data, if you keep it in miles the variable unit is "miles" per galon so you need to keep moving. There is an Instant fuel flow read, and this is what I want to know about the numbers displayed. The trip computer needs about 2 or 3 kms to begin to show data and apply the maths to get a calculation, before that you must be reading 55km/lt. Sorry for the confusing miles and kms etc. but I really know and have experience with metric system. I assume you connected rel 5.0, have you double check that pinout is right taking special care about pin 7, 8, and 15?
As I said I get my one touch windows up working, do you think there will be people that might be interested on this upgrade? because uploading photos and writing the instructions take time and I dont look many posts asking of this issue.
Keep me informed about the readings in your trip computer

As I said I get my one touch windows up working, do you think there will be people that might be interested on this upgrade? because uploading photos and writing the instructions take time and I dont look many posts asking of this issue.

A member he named Aussie did a thread about 1-touvh up/down windows, and I followed it, but still had specific questions about which wires to pick (2 wires had same color, but were different sizes), so a full pictorial would be greatly appreciated. More people would attempt this with the right how-to.

A member he named Aussie did a thread about 1-touvh up/down windows, and I followed it, but still had specific questions about which wires to pick (2 wires had same color, but were different sizes), so a full pictorial would be greatly appreciated. More people would attempt this with the right how-to.

Only problem with this upgrade is that there is no feedback loop. On BMW's and other cars that have this feature there is a load sensing feedback loop in place so that the window doesn't pinch someone's hand or what have you when you have it set for an auto-up. I'd be a little more concerned if I had kids in the car... just my two cents. There was a guy on here that was making the switches to allow this and selling them in a GB, but it didn't really take off because of liability issues.

Only problem with this upgrade is that there is no feedback loop. On BMW's and other cars that have this feature there is a load sensing feedback loop in place so that the window doesn't pinch someone's hand or what have you when you have it set for an auto-up. I'd be a little more concerned if I had kids in the car... just my two cents. There was a guy on here that was making the switches to allow this and selling them in a GB, but it didn't really take off because of liability issues.

True. I can see the draw back, but information & how-to's are always good. I for one, will install the auto up & down in my SVT if the detailed how-to is done, as I don't have kids, and when I do, we have other cars to take them in.

I think the pin #43 wiring is actually working, but it's my fuel remaining that is the problem. Stopped at idle with the fuel flow wire connected, it shows 0 MPG. If I rev, nothing changes, but as soon as I start moving, it shows 99 MPG until I stop again. To me it seems like it's working fine but since the fuel remaining is not working, it will never show a correct reading. Just flip between 0 and 99 MPG.

vic, can you confirm by disconnecting your fuel remaining and tell me what the MPG shows without it? If it's the same, I know I just need to get the fuel remaining working and then I'm done. :)

Also, PM me your shipping address so I can send you some wiring for the main harness. You can removed your soldering direct to the PCM.

And do you have news about your trip computer?

And do you have news about your trip computer?

No update. I haven't had time to do anything with this. I was thinking about asking if I could send my trip computer to you and see if it works fine in your car with your wiring. With the issues I've been having, I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with my trip computer. I've wired everything "correctly" and it will not work.

Pin 15 is looped to pin 3, and pin 7 fuel remaining. As of right now, I have no fuel remaining reading, and incorrect MPG.

No update. I haven't had time to do anything with this. I was thinking about asking if I could send my trip computer to you and see if it works fine in your car with your wiring. With the issues I've been having, I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with my trip computer. I've wired everything "correctly" and it will not work.

Pin 15 is looped to pin 3, and pin 7 fuel remaining. As of right now, I have no fuel remaining reading, and incorrect MPG.
I will be happy to help you, but remember : I live in mexico and sending your trip computer to me would be expensive because shipping insurance is mandatory, mexican post office are known for lost packages. But if you agree there is a slight possibility going shopping to mcallen by june, so if I go I will PM to you and because I always go in my mystique you can send it and I can return to you once I have tested. this will be a lost of 10 minutes and I think this will not affect my time, 10 minutes means nothing in the whole life of a man.

hey Tony, I have one to wire up in my car. If you want to come give me a hand we can try it out. however I only have a clock harness so I would need to add pins to it to make it work.

We finally have a solution for wiring in the Fuel related readouts on the trip computer! Best part is, NO Mondeo fuel sending unit or other exotic parts needed!

post-1032-125618229082.jpg

TripFuel1.jpg

M2Trip.jpg

Fuel Flow = Throttle position output wire. This has to be tapped into at the TPS - Solid White wire.

Fuel Remaining = Instrument cluster harness, pin #7 (White/Red - Fuel Level)

VSS = Instrument cluster harness, pin #6 (White/Blue - VSS)

Outside Tempature = ANY Ford OATS (Outside Ambient Tempature Sensor). Installed in engine bay, wired into Pin 14 & 15. (Note: Contour/Mystique does not have this part, you will need to buy one from Ford or salvage one from a junkyard).

All other wiring information is covered in the UK written (Mirez) How To....

http://www.mirez.co.uk/Trips.htm

Special THANKS to BuckeyeSVT (Dom) @ FCO for figuring out the fuel related readouts and sharing with the rest of us!

ZOMG, this happened while I was off the board?!?! Well that looks easy enough to wire up... except I'm probably an idiot for not knowing where the white TPS wire is or where the best place to tap into it would be... I'm guessing it comes off the TB and runs into the computer or some such?

I'm going to try and get mine fully functional again in the next couple weeks. I haven't had anyone with an E0 confirm all functions working yet. It seems everyone is 98.5-00 which may have different wiring from the fuel pump to the gauge cluster.

Everything else on mine is working though. Temp and trip functions have been awesome to have.

Yeah I was one of the first people on here to get one IIRC...maybe not lol. But I never got more than basic functions and then life happened and I did not mess with the CSVT much until recently... Just need to bug a few wires and should have it up and running in 30 minutes...

The last thing I need to hook up are the wires on pins 6, 10 and 15. Okay I do not know where to connect those wires. From what I understand pins 6 and 10 are for the chime when 50 miles are calculted left in the tank. Pin 15 I don't understand the use for where does it go I have REL 5.0. Any help will be appreciated.

Pin 15 is supposed to be looped to pin 3 which is ignition power.

Pin 6 would be wired to an external speaker.
Pin 10 I believe goes to a display that Mondeo gauge clusters have.

Back