• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Mod: Mondeo Trip Computer, modified, the money shots!

sorry, I don't want to read ten pages to find out if you ever got the best functions to work. so did you?

anyone can get a clock from any older 'tour, plus most people have a watch or a cell phone or even an aftermarket headunit...

you also already have a speedometer, and outside air temp isnt an amazing thing to know.

to me, the only reason to do this mod short of it looking cool and being hella expensive is that it will give you your fuel economy, miles till empty, and LPH...

[edit]

WOW looks like you did, now THAT is EPIC!!!

what page is the how too on? I'd be highly interested in this mod now. someone tried to sell me one before, but no one knew how to wire it right at the time so I wasn't interested. I'd love to add some more modern features to this bucket of cheap-o-plasticity...

Anybody wire in the fuel related readouts yet? I've been laid up recovering from Surgery and have not had a chance to verify Dom's findings for myself.

Anybody wire in the fuel related readouts yet? I've been laid up recovering from Surgery and have not had a chance to verify Dom's findings for myself.

X2! I just received mine in the mail...anxious to start splicing :)

Great, let us know how it works out. Also, consider modding the trip computer with different color led's and reverse lcd film (see first post). It's quite an improvement over the bland washed out factory green.

Great mod! I gotta get me one. I loved the trip computer on my 06 Pontiac Montana SV6. Be nice to give a little upgrade to Old Misty.:laugh:

it doesn't fit the dash of your pre98 .... not sure if you can change the bezel to make it work ...

it doesn't fit the dash of your pre98 .... not sure if you can change the bezel to make it work ...

Yeah, just took the ol gal for spin and I noticed it as well. Since I'm mostly mod challenged and a champion procrastinator, this one will likely never happen. I still have an EVIC for a 2nd gen 2001 Chrysler Intrepid that I meant to install, but never did. Traded in the car 3 years ago.:nonono:

Im new in this forum but maybe you are looking for a white wire that doesn´t exist in northamerica cars, The fuel flow sensor in argentina japan and european Mondeos ECU´s original equiped with trip computer is pin 43 (C421) if your car is from 1999 1/2 to 2000 1/2 that cable runs to square connector (C3001) pin 28 and of course your pin 28 is empty I assume that all ecus -within this manufacture dates- have the 43 pin fuel flow for this accesory. I have mine connected to this and I have the mpg reading. I tried to connect to white wire from TPS but the car doesnt like that obstruction and the automatic shifts very hard so I take a deep search for mondeo electric diagrams and I found the misterious pin.

I need to hear from the 98 E0 guys installing these. Have you wired up your trip computers 100% successfully?

As vic states in the post directly above, every time I tap into the TPS solid white wire, my idle gets thrown off. The idle holds around 2,000 RPMs and just sitting inside without touching anything else, if I unhook that wire from the trip computer, it drops back down to normal. Along with this, I still don't get a read out from the trip computer for miles remaining or MPG.

I have the VSS connected and working fine for average speed, total miles, and the temp sensor wired for outside temp.

vic's car is not a North American car so I can't confirm the wiring is the same between both, but I'm wondering if I have to tap in directly from the ECU as he did. I need to know if the 98 E0 guys have wired this up or not. The changes to the 98.5-00 may be the reason why this is not working for me.

I had rEL 3.0 installed originally but after reading, rEL versions 1.0-3.0 require the fuel sender with additional wires. This was on the early Mk2 Mondeo's. The later trip computers were updated to work with the standard fuel sender. This would be 3.6, 4.0, 5.0.

Both trip computers give me the same result. Did tapping into the TPS solid white wire work for you E0 guys?

Take a look to this post: "Trip computer rel 1.0" in this post you will find any explanation and also pics that I upload to get things easier to any one that want this thing working, And dont´t forget that my mystique is northamerican, any contour and mystique made in canada usa and mexico have exactly the same things (also they have the same wiring color code) , the main difference is that mexico-made cars has the lowest equipment aviable. The ECU or PCM is exactly the same in all the world so dont be affraid, just follow the instructions provided in this post.
I encourage you and people doing this upgrade to stay away from tapping the TPS since the wave form from ECU to TPS are completely different, the flow sensor is a calculation that ecu make from tps possition, o2 sensor, barometric sensor temperature, and many other things; so there is no way to make flow reading from TPS. Is like believing that your keyboard can print an A4 paper.
Also I´m doing a deep search about some button in european mondeos that can switch the tranny from ecomonic to sport, and this pin exist in the ecu, also the ossiloscope show a square waveform, so I assume is working but from factory is on some fixed possition, but haven´t had time to continue with this investigation.
Before you do anything dont forget the mpg readout missreading that I explain in this post. If you have any questions and I can assist you please don´t hessitate to let me know.

I did look at your other thread but I didn't realize you had a North American car so I assumed the pins were different on yours. If it is North American, I should be able to do exactly as you did and get this working.

What I don't understand is the soldering of the wire you did? You said pin #43 is missing but that's where the fuel flow signal would be connected. What does the soldering do? Is it transferring voltage from another point in the PCM and bringing it over to pin #43? How do I know what two points to solder on the PCM?

Nevermind It looked like you were jumping two points on the PCM. You're just soldering the fuel flow wire directly onto the PCM.

In the tutorial I solder this wire to the pin just because I found no way to buy and get to mexico the small pin that goes directly to the PCM harness, this wire goes directly to fuel flow input of trip computer. If you are unable to find the pins I´d suggest soldering the wire directly to pcm. Im sure that you can get some pins at the junk-yard, If you don´t want to buy from the site that carries this gold-terminals; and if you can get some 2 or 3 extra pins please let me know because if I have the pins I would be able to do things just like OEM. The white wire I solder is for transfering the logical info to the trip computer, in this pin there is no voltage, is an info in square wave form. Pin 43 is missing in the harness not at the PCM. Please note that the wire is not a jumper is a wire that I routed to the lower part of PCM because at the bottom you can find a "window" to take your wire out of the PCM and get connected to the trip computer, without compromissing the weather seal at top of PCM.
Note that the diagram atached is only for rel 3.6 or higher

Attachments

• Sin título..pdf
    185.9 KB · Views: 0
Vic, your information has been extremely helpful. I should have this up and running by the weekend. Everything else is wired and connected minus the fuel flow wire. I have a parts car that I may try to get the connector from but I wanted to keep that harness in tact in case I need a replacement down the road. I'll probably go to the junkyard instead unless I find that same type of pin connector somewhere else on the car that I can steal from.

I have two computers. One is rEL 3.0 and the other is 5.0. I plan on running the 5.0.

About PCM connector you can take any ford connector harness from 1996 to nearly 2006 because all ford models have OBD II as a standard and the 104 pin harness is the same. So you can just pull any harness or maybe only a half dozen pins within this years and the pins would be the same.
You are right rel 5.0 is the best you can place in the car, also the number of calculations per minute seems to be better in this rel, and you can take the fuel remaining just behind your dash, no need to take the fuel pump out. Take a consideration that the amount of fuel remaining in the tank isn´t being very accurate because the rheostat (potentiometer used to read the amount of fuel)P1020337a..jpg in america´s cars is not 18 ohms, niether is logaratmic, but dont worry i´ve been using it and the only issue is that when you have the last qaurt of tank the trip computer are going to display something like 5 miles to empty.
If I be able to assist you or any body else please be my guests. good luck with your upgrade.
If I have the time I am going to make the one touch window up and drivers one touch window down & up. I have just received from royal-mail this electronic relays with harness to make this happen.
If this upgrade are 100% functional Im going to start a new tutorial here and also in clubfordmondeo.com.ar just for the satisfaction to be helpful to the contour and mondeo community.

vic, what year is your car? I just finished installing the wire into pin #43 and I'm still not getting any readings on the trip computer. I've triple checked everything and it's all connected. I'm picking up 10.5 v on pin # 43, but your post says there shouldn't be any voltage. Please post your model year because this could be the result of a pin change.

vic, what year is your car? I just finished installing the wire into pin #43 and I'm still not getting any readings on the trip computer. I've triple checked everything and it's all connected. I'm picking up 10.5 v on pin # 43, but your post says there shouldn't be any voltage. Please post your model year because this could be the result of a pin change.

My car is 1999 manufactured on sept 98, but from 1996 to 2000 the 43 pin is fuel flow rate. And maybe you obtain voltage with a multimeter but with a scope you see a wave form. wave forms are usually measured by Vp-p. (peak to peak voltage). In the attachment you´ll see the trip computer diagram in wich states the use of pin 43. How do you connect the pin? by soldering, or with a pin in the harness?, If you could upload a pic of your connection maybe I can help with your issue, don´t gave up, i´m so sure your problem is very easy to fix. Tomorrow I will make a voltage meassure at this pin with a digital multimeter (always use digital multimeter with 10mohms or more to take reads from PCM). maybe this will be helpful to you.

Attachments

• ECU pin 43.[1]..pdf
    173.5 KB · Views: 0
I took pictures of the process but I haven't uploaded yet. I unplugged the main harness, found pin 43 on it and ran a factory wire into the harness. It runs direct from there to the trip computer pin 9.

My fuel remaining doesn't seem to be working but I don't know if these two wires work in conjuction with each other or can work seperately. When I run the trip computer tests, it shows fuel remaining as O-C (not connected). I know it's connected to the gauge cluster and I've confirmed there is voltage on the wire. It's possible I have two bad computers, but not likely. I'm ready to tear this whole thing out! :mad:

VSS and temp functions are both working fine.

Back