• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 3.0 build ..Crank, No start

Injectors all plugs in? All I can think of is fuel pressure and such. Even if it has bad gas with the good gas, it should still run...just poorly.

Injectors all plugs in? All I can think of is fuel pressure and such. Even if it has bad gas with the good gas, it should still run...just poorly.

It's not a gas problem..

Your gonna have to retrace your steps.

It can't be nothing....so it has to be something. So work at tackling one thing at a time...eventually you will find the problem.

Do you have an ohm meter? Can you check the voltage from your coilpack?
Are you sure you don't have a vacume leak either????

Sounds like your getting fuel. Your either flooding the engine (which it sounds like with all the fluid coming out of the tail pipes) or you've got a spark issue. Could be a combination of both.

If I were you, I would disconnect all 3 main harnesses and reconnect them with some large pliars until you hear them click. I know you already checked this, but I would do it for the peace of mind that you know they are on there tight. Tin plated connectors need a pretty high normal force compared to gold plating to get a good electrical connection.

Next, is the coil pack ground wire secured? It's any easy thing to forget. I'm sure whatever it is, its something simple. Check all your spark plug wires. One may not be getting a good connection. Unplug them and replug them until you know have a good connection.

After that, I think I pull the UIM and check the injector harness wiring. You've got a 98. The harnesses are prone to cracking. You may have an injector thats arching and running full duty. I had this issue with my 96 and two injectors were arching.

To the comment about the vacuum leak, I think I would rule that out. Even if it did have a vacuum leak, the motor should still fire up and run as long as you gave it some gas. Your symptoms do not describe a vacuum leak.

Are you absolutely positive the cams were timed correctly?

Last edited:
If I were you, I would disconnect all 3 main harnesses and reconnect them with some large pliars until you hear them click. I know you already checked this, but I would do it for the peace of mind that you know they are on there tight. Tin plated connectors need a pretty high normal force compared to gold plating to get a good electrical connection.
Ok, I'll do it again, but like i said the top 2 were snug, the bottom one moved a bit and clicked it in.
Next, is the coil pack ground wire secured? It's any easy thing to forget. I'm sure whatever it is, its something simple. Check all your spark plug wires. One may not be getting a good connection. Unplug them and replug them until you know have a good connection.
Yes, it is on there good. I took all the wires off today and reseated them back on, making sure they where connected good. both on the coil and sparkplugs
After that, I think I pull the UIM and check the injector harness wiring. You've got a 98. The harnesses are prone to cracking. You may have an injector thats arching and running full duty. I had this issue with my 96 and two injectors were arching.
I had that issue, see my post here:
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=34853&highlight=injector+harness

Are you absolutely positive the cams were timed correctly?
Thery where when i put the timing cover back on, unless they jumped or something when i did the flywheel :S Do these symptoms sound like a pulse wheel off or a mistiming????

Anybody else? If you think the timing is effed, tell me, so i can stop :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing around with with this crap and pull it out.

if you did the timing did you turn that sucker over a couple times and checked your marks or did you just throw it in. pull out spark plugs and evac any fluid in the cylinders and also pull your fuel line and jump the pump to evac your tank put good gas in just to make sure. you previously said that everything under the hood is hooked up correctly so its either a gas or timing problem. it sucks cause I can't play with it, I can make anything start, might blow up but it will start lol... good luck man

Ughhhhhhh, i am :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing stressed out!!!!!!!! I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.

I'm going to try to start it again tomorrow one more time, and its coming back out :mad: :nonono:

You dont need to pull the motor. Do you have pics of the build where you timed the car? On ever 3L I build I take pics of how I timed the car so if this situation arises you can go back to the pics to be sure of what was done.

Beans... Call Fritze, tell him you need help and ask him to come over. He found the problem that we had when we installed the 3L in his current SVT. Im pretty sure he will find the problem in your car. Then buy him dinner at long horn.

No I do not, all i have is this:
1018081355.jpg

Fritze is going to be at work man.

Back