• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My boost build thread

havent had a chance to work on it, but here are some pic for tricker

IMG_5550.jpg

You sure that your have a pin setup? That looks like a fairly typical KnuKoncepts modified setup which is still splined.

yup, ill get a pic of it tomorrow

fitted the rear header tonight and pulled the oil cooler off, going to cut and rotate the hose fittings so i can still use it, unless there is an easier way. going to tap the oil pan for the oil drain tomorrow

I wouldn't reuse the MOCAL style cooler, mine had a large external cooler which gave more room around the filter area it also was large enough to hold an extra quart of oil in the cooler alone, not to mention the hoses.

Also, if you're buying my old Spearco cooler, note that the plastic SC intake had been been shortened as well as modified to fit a 90 degree tube instead of the flex piece & 180 tube that the MAF mated to. The intake in stock form will not give you enough room for the intercooler.
Mark

i was referring to the csvt oil cooler, not sure if that is a mocal cooler or not

were you running an 04 UIM? were you able to find any more pics of the spearco cooler?

i was referring to the csvt oil cooler, not sure if that is a mocal cooler or not

were you running an 04 UIM? were you able to find any more pics of the spearco cooler?

The stock SVT Oil cooler is a MOCAL cooler, ditch it for an external cooler.

I was running the 03/04 UIM & LIM, no pics so far, I have a couple sd cards with various pictures back at my apt (which I'm not at currently) to check as well. If you look closely at the engine bay pic I sent you can see that the 180 elbow isn't present and has been replaced by the 90 which is mounted much lower in the engine bay. trust me you will have to modify the plastic intake piece that comes with the Vortech kit to fit the aftermarket cooler.

looked at them again, i see what you are talking about.

ive already got 7.5 qts in the car with the accusump.

The accusump isn't a cooler, it's a failsafe, it doesn't matter if it holds 1qt or 10qts it only really comes into play in the event of lost oil pressure and the amount of oil that it holds shouldn't be considered toward your total oil volume as it's not part of the circulating amount during normal engine operation.
Having an extra quart of oil circulating through the cooler at any given time while you're dumping super heated oil from the rear head & supercharger directly into the oil pan is a good thing especially with how this car is going to be used.

BTW, I think I still have a quite a few Vortech pieces from my original kit in storage. If you come up missing something shoot me a PM and I can check to see if I have it (granted when I am back in MI on days off)

Last edited:
i know the accsusump is just a fail safe, but then it turns into a 9 qt oil change, which for this car isnt that often

i know the accsusump is just a fail safe, but then it turns into a 9 qt oil change, which for this car isnt that often

All the more reason...

IMO, I'd rather have a larger cooler and no accusump. The Duratec engines often lose oil pressure due to material build up, often in a right hand corner and more often with less then the recommended 6-6.5qts of oil. Having more oil available for circulation helps prevent that, and accusump only adds the extra oil after the oil pressure has dropped. It may save the engine if you shut down in time, but its not going to help you maintain oil pressure.

Also, with the MOCAL cooler it uses engine coolant to maintain oil temps rather then cool them, if your water temp skyrockets, so does your oil temp, and external cooler will separate the two and help keep oil temps & viscosity in check during an overheating situation.

what oil cooler did you have?

got the headers mounted, oil pan tapped for return line and oil temp sensor, got the fan shrouds trimmed, ac bypass idler pulley installed. just put the old filter on like stock so it would quit dripping oil

every single bottom bolt on the front header is a PITA to get tight
IMG_6461.jpg

IMG_6464.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

my home make solid mount

IMG_6463.jpg

flywheel installed

IMG_6465.jpg

i really like that solid mount! althought, i think i would have made the rear a solid mount and left the front in. i might try to make one soon.

world tour heres the pics of he pin drive.

IMG_6469.jpg

alley the rear mount is filled with a bushing to eliminate the play, it's rock solid as well

world tour heres the pics of he pin drive.

IMG_6469.jpg

alley the rear mount is filled with a bushing to eliminate the play, it's rock solid as well

Is that teflon tape I see? If you still have it out of the car, I would recommend pulling the oiling assembly apart and remove the teflon tape, check for any tape debris in the ports, clean all of the threads and then reassemble using a small amount of threadlock/thread sealant. It may not seem like a big deal, but I've killed a SC unit with a small amount of teflon tape. Vortech also doesn't recommend using it and on new kits that voids the kit's parts warranty. Plus I would think piece of mind is worth 15min of your time and $5 out of your wallet. :)

the oil cooler that was on the car was a Ford Racing kit and I think it was This one but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, I went through my other SD cards this morning (back in WV) and the only other pics of the kit I have are of it out of the car when I was trying to sell it.

I also just happened to notice where you tapped the pan for the oil return:
IMG_6461.jpg

You tapped it way in the wrong spot!! The correct spot (if you tap the pan instead of the block) is to the right of the filter, just above the horizontal portion of the header/manifold.

Where you currently have it is going to cause some issues with the angle of the drain tube. In order to clear the filter where you have it you are going to have some areas of the train tube horizontal and most likely somewhat uphill. You want the drain as steep as possible since its a gravity drain out of the SC gear case.

Mark

that is where the vortec manual says to tap the pan

when i took the oil drain tube apart there was loads of tape in there. hadnt really thought about fixing it on the feed tubes yet, ill add that to the list

im guessing they look a little different in person than they do in the photos because of lighting?

The lighting is wierd, that's why I took pics with flash and no flash. If they aren't what you wanted, I will take care of it.

Back