• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My boost build thread

Hopefully clutchnet doesn't take forever to get you your clutch like they did with mine.

got some work done today. still dont have a clutch, and ive called about a dozen times over the last couple days at different times of the day and no answer.

got the teflon tape out of the SC lines. one of them was even a taper fit, so i dont really get that one. i was going through my box-o-wiring harnesses and found a fuel rail wiring harness with the newer style injector plugs (dont know what E it is) that fit on to the 42# injectors, so no adaptors for me. also got the valve covers stripped for silver paint.

IMG_6502.jpg

IMG_6501.jpg

IMG_6498.jpg

Scared me for a minute there, haha - The color actually doesn't look too wierd with the copper you have on your car.

went to swap over the zetec fd from the zetec trans that i had. the trans was a HMS trans that has a duratec gearset and was SUPPOSED to have a zetec FD in it. Well it didnt have the zetec fd so i guess im going to be running 2nd and 3rd at events this season unless i can find a zetec FD in the next couple days

I didnt think about it on the phone earlier but i bet those 2 pre98 Zetec transmissions that i mentioned when we met up are still there. im sure you can find someone nearby to pick one up for you.

went to swap over the zetec fd from the zetec trans that i had. the trans was a HMS trans that has a duratec gearset and was SUPPOSED to have a zetec FD in it. Well it didnt have the zetec fd so i guess im going to be running 2nd and 3rd at events this season unless i can find a zetec FD in the next couple days

Contact Terry Haines about it

i did and thats the problem. he built the trans that i was pulling the zetec fd out of and told me that it was the zetec fd but it wasnt.

got some stuff put together today since i had nothing else to do

IMG_6503.jpg

IMG_6504.jpg

doing some premock up of the air pipes. looks right?

IMG_6505.jpg

since i dont have a egr can i run a boost pressure gauge where the egr hose normally goes, or would it be better getting it off of the other side of the compressor opposite where the line comes into it? and should the IAT be run in the black plastic part, or further up where the CAI will be?
IMG_6506.jpg

painted the valve cover bolts
IMG_6509.jpg

and extra parts, any ideas?
IMG_6507.jpg

one more thought. instead of running the black inlet pipe with the 90* flat bend in it, has anyone cut a hole in the frame rail there and run the intake straight into it? so it would be filter->90*elbow->maf->compressor

and a question, on the coolant crossover pipe. does that go back in completely? it wouldnt clear the jackshaft. the directions show a pipe extension for one line, but that didnt get sent to me. anyone have a good picture of it

since i dont have a egr can i run a boost pressure gauge where the egr hose normally goes, or would it be better getting it off of the other side of the compressor opposite where the line comes into it? and should the IAT be run in the black plastic part, or further up where the CAI will be?

regardless of where you tap into, try to pull it from the intake manifold directly. I pulled from one of the vacuum hoses coming directly off of the manifold to the vacuum tree. As for the IAT, thats debatable and both spots have there pros & cons... truth be told tuning can compensate for either position.

one more thought. instead of running the black inlet pipe with the 90* flat bend in it, has anyone cut a hole in the frame rail there and run the intake straight into it? so it would be filter->90*elbow->maf->compressor

I personally don't care for it because it puts the MAF in a position where it can more easily be exposed to water and road debris... granted it does offer more usable space for an intercooler.

and a question, on the coolant crossover pipe. does that go back in completely? it wouldnt clear the jackshaft. the directions show a pipe extension for one line, but that didnt get sent to me. anyone have a good picture of it

Are you sure you have the Vortech supplied coolant crossover pipe?? the stock pipe won't clear the jackshaft, but the Vortech one does. not sure what extension you're referring to, can you post that section of the directions to clarify?

i had the maf down in the wheel wheel with just the 3L. kept getting codes with it up in the engine bay as part of the CAI. i would definitely be making a splash shield since my inner fender liner is going to be gone due to the 8" wheels

i bought the kit from blackcoog. he didnt send me anything coolant pipe related. did the kit come with a crossover pipe that worked? if so time to get creative.

this is the only picture in the manual
waterpipe.png

I went through your thread to try and help out with the kit. Look into getting a braided feed line for the head unit. Those rubber lines suck. I hated them on my kit and had it blow off once dumping all the oil out. You can get a braided feed line from summit for about $60.

For our kits I run the oil drain into that same spot without any issues. Of course we don't use that metal line though and it comes in at a different angle because the supercharger sits above that location in our kit.

As I mentioned in my pm to you on NECO. The car I pulled this kit off of didn't have an aftermarket crossover tube. It was a stock tube. If you have clearance issues remove the pipe completely and run a rubber coolant pipe with connections. Tie it up so it stays away from the exhaust. Use some shielding on it as well. Or if you can cut the stock pipe and use part of it that could be a good solution as well.

the crossover almost fits, so i might just be able to extend the stock brackets

finally got a person at clutchnet today and it is out for delivery

so i heard the UPS truck turn the corner 2 houses down, my wife thinks im crazy, but we can all hear the UPS truck right? i greet him at the door and sign for the clutch. go out to install it and this is what i get

IMG_6519.jpg

FML

do some more comparisons

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6517.jpg

this was at 4:30ish central time. so i try and call clutchnet who is open until 5 pacific and get nothing

of course there are no part numbers on it. on the web is says it measures 9.5", the invoice says 9" and it measures 8.5".

i called and orderd it on 1/27, they charged me on 1/29 and it shipped on 2/2

on the up side i cut the end of the coolant crossover pipe off and it fits in there, put on an extra hose i had laying around and put the cut off end of the pipe back in it and i think it should work. need to get the motor back in the car for proper placement

I wasn't too impressed with clutchnet either, they took waaaay tooo long to send my clutch out. I got the same one and I would go measure it but I just got my engine in. I know mine fit on my svt flywheel.

just got off the phone with Oleg from clutchnet. he is getting a proper one sent out today, so he says. hopefully ill get it before the weekend

and i just got an email from my wife, my remote oil filter/cooler got delivered so i have something to work on tonight

i was installing the remote oil filter plate and had a thought. would it be possible to put a "T" fitting onto the out side of filter relocater and have the SC drain into that? the only thing i can think of that would be bad about it is if the pressure pushed back up into the SC and wouldnt let it drain

or would a "Y" fitting be better so that it wouldnt flow backward up the y branch

Back