• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My 3L Build

I've posted a nice long update twice now but it won't load so I'm done typing out a long post and then it being deleted.

Really didn't have to Many issues yesterday. I'm excited to swap out all my stuff. I am dreading pulling the crank pulley off the 3.0 because I've heard it's a bear. (hard to do lol)

Well a quick update of what I got done today: I got one side of my ports ported out about 70%. The other side hadn't been touched yet. I put on all my new gaskets and installed my timing cover, oil pan, Windage tray, pickup tube, valve covers and a bracket an sensor that goes on the rear head (I think it's part of the EGR system I'm not sure). Put rtv on all the parts where two pieces of metal meet up. OH YEA: well I got the crank pulley and the extension that goes to the crank pulley (that the belt drives on) it went SUPER EASY. No torch or nothing. I just put a bolt in the flywheel and it hit my engine hoist so it wouldn't spin and it came off. I did put some PB blaster to it that may have helped. My friend found me this webpage

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s420/2009-11-11_234254_99_Taurus3.0_4V_cranlk_pulley.pdf

Well guys that's pretty much it. I'm gonna be bay most of the day tomorrow so I won't get started on my motor until about 3:00 ish. Hopefully I can port more tomorrow and also I'll start grinding my motor mount and seeing exactly what the alternator bracket needs (since I haven't really looked at it)

Goodnight!

One question I thought of: since I spun a bearing and got metal shavings in my oil should I not swap out my oil cooler? If not where can I buy one? I called advanced and they can't get one that's OEM.

I've posted a nice long update twice now but it won't load so I'm done typing out a long post and then it being deleted.

did you check, 'remember me' ?

May I ask why?

The stock oil cooler is actually designed to heat the oil when cold and cool when hot. The OEM cooler won't scrub heat from the oil as efficiently as an air cooled system.

So; if you have a turbo, it is not suitable but if you have a stock motor, it will maintain oil temps between rough guidelines, as it was designed to do.

This is why some FI guys don't rate them. ...G.

Just a quick update on the progress: my brother is porting my intake runners on thr head and I just finished customizing my moor mount to slide right in between the 3L heads! Coming along good. Since I broke my crank pulley I went and picked up mine at napa today. Gonna install that tonight, keep porting the heads and MAYBE put my tranny on, I doubt it tho. Just depends on how late I wanna stay up. I haven't got much sleep this week so I may call it a day early :)

I'll update more later!

The stock oil cooler is actually designed to heat the oil when cold and cool when hot. The OEM cooler won't scrub heat from the oil as efficiently as an air cooled system.

So; if you have a turbo, it is not suitable but if you have a stock motor, it will maintain oil temps between rough guidelines, as it was designed to do.

So do I just plug off the lines going to it?

The thing I like about this 3L swap thread is that this guy is making progress
I am considering doing a port match 3L swap and these threads that either
show no progress, take more than a year or never get finished dismay me.
I read here how it can be done start to finish in under two weeks.
We all know how cumbersome stooping int he middle of these things and
starting back up can be. Seems straightforward enough, pull engine/trans
acquire 04-05 Taurus 3L install plates grind ports cut off alt tabs grind motor mount
re-install drive off with a smile
Right? ;)

these threads that either

true, but guys on there 2nd or 3rd swap are much more ambitious... and that's when the costs spiral ..... you'll see ....G.

The thing I like about this 3L swap thread is that this guy is making progress
I am considering doing a port match 3L swap and these threads that either
We all know how cumbersome stooping int he middle of these things and
starting back up can be. Seems straightforward enough, pull engine/trans
acquire 04-05 Taurus 3L install plates grind ports cut off alt tabs grind motor mount
re-install drive off with a smile
Right? ;)

My first swap was complted in 2 weekends including pulling the motor. I swapped heads so there was no porting. Was done at a friends house 2 hours away so no chipping away during the week either - just 4 long days and I drove it home on the 4th day.
My latest build - as gorman says - is a lot more ambitious and has drained my available funds.

Didn't know that. I'm running turbo, and i've always had the stock oil cooler.

I bought my SVT November of 97
it spun the rod at just over 100,000 miles
I've got two foxbody's
a 1992 1/2 5 spd limited edition "Summer Special" feature car we've had since 96
with 230,000 and an 87 2.3L LX notch we bought new with 380,000
trust me there won't a '2nd time' this is the Contour's last chance
if it doesn't make me happy its curtains for sure sure, I'll sell it for scrap.

Well last night I wasn't up too late last night, 11:30 is when I stopped working on porting. I got a lot of porting done last night, me and my brother were both at it, him with a high speed air tool, ans me with a powerful handheld drill with a cord. We have about 30% more to do on that side, the other side is done, sorry about all the commas LOL. Today my goal is to pit the tranny on, and check out the alternator bracket. I'll port more tomorrow cause I'll need a new burr from the store, it's closed today. Hopefully my car will be back in my car and halfway finished by Monday night.

My 3L Build

Didn't know that. I'm running turbo, and i've always had the stock oil cooler.

I remember specifically a thread about one of your engine asplodes. Where a oil cooler was suggested for you.
Well last night I wasn't up too late last night, 11:30 is when I stopped working on porting. I got a lot of porting done last night, me and my brother were both at it, him with a high speed air tool, ans me with a powerful handheld drill with a cord. We have about 30% more to do on that side, the other side is done, sorry about all the commas LOL. Today my goal is to pit the tranny on, and check out the alternator bracket. I'll port more tomorrow cause I'll need a new burr from the store, it's closed today. Hopefully my car will be back in my car and halfway finished by Monday night.

Told you. It takes forever to port, never agian.

Back