• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Letting others drive your Contour....

Three people have driven my car (besides mechanics). Nobody else can drive stick or is willing to because my clutch is very finicky. I don't have a problem with others driving my car so long as they're halfway competent.

no one else drives my car. I do not have any issues with my family or my best friend either. Since I do all my own work I don't worry about mechanics, but the one time I took the car to firestone for an alignment I was watching very closely ...

a lot of times i'll park my SVT in first.

First time my dad drove it, i had it parked in front of the closed garage door. He gets in, drops the clutch, thinking it was in neutral, and the car punches into the garage door.

The first, and LAST time, anyone else will drive my car but me.

*not to mention having the spend the rest of the day driving trying to get the seat adjusted to where i had it...

Guess I'm in the minority. I let my wife and roomate drive it, as well as my Mom. I've also traded my SVT for my brother's truck for a day. :shrug: I don't let just anyone drive it, they have to know how to drive, and I have to trust them.

wow, its just a freaking car, Shoot i let peple drive my car all the time.

Some people are a bit more passionate about their cars then you. :shrug:

I was always very skeptical about allowing people to drive my car. One day my buddy talked me into letting him. Within the minute he bottomed the front end out... Ever since then, slim to none have drove it.

Rara has been the only person to drive my SVT since I bought it. I didn't even ride along. Just depends on who the person is. I don't think anyone has driven my black car. Tried to get my g/f to drive my SVT but she won't. She did drive my SHO when I was drunk once. As I age I care less and less about it. Just don't drop the clutch if you drive it.

I'm with Todd on this one. When I bought my SVT, I didn't want anyone even sitting in the driver's seat, let alone driving it. Time went on, and it wasn't as big a deal. Just a couple of weekends ago when I drove the SVT to Chicago to possibly sell it, I had my girlfriend following behind in my Lincoln. Maybe I'm getting old, but it's just a car.

Mark

going to a car wash when i dont have time really makes me nervous. espcially when they have to pull my car in to do the interior!!! i have my face glued to the window watching their every move.

The nicer my car gets, the more I like to have people drive it. I used to loan my Contour out all the time & people loved it. My Mystique doesn't see as much action yet, especially since the hurricanes battered the crap outa it, but as I get it up to where I want, more people will get the Ford experience.

Wal Mart Oil Change

Wal Mart Oil Change

I only let family members drive my SVT even though I have full coverage. However it's lowered and I have clearance issues when changing the oil. So I took it to Wal Mart because they were the cheapest around for a full synthetic. The guy asked me if I took it to the track I said no, and went into the store. When I came back to the oil change service the guys were screwing around with my car reving the engine up and driving real hard in the parking lot. From now on, no one will touch my car.

I only let family members drive my SVT even though I have full coverage. However it's lowered and I have clearance issues when changing the oil. So I took it to Wal Mart because they were the cheapest around for a full synthetic. The guy asked me if I took it to the track I said no, and went into the store. When I came back to the oil change service the guys were screwing around with my car reving the engine up and driving real hard in the parking lot. From now on, no one will touch my car.

Did you get them fired? I am so glad the mechanics that I go to know me and are straight up with me about things.

I still remember the day I actually let the g/f drive her, she had so much fun. She babied it I kept naggin her to get on the gas, when she finally did she had a big grin on her face.

I'm at a loss to figure out what about an ATX Zetec could cause any kind of happy feelings. My sister's hates it when I "get on the gas" in her car because it's so embarrassing. I can't imagine how she'd react driving a car that runs faster than 18s...

But yeah. People can drive my car, it's just a car. When I had my Probe I loved teaching people how to drive the 5 speed. It was fun.

I'm at a loss to figure out what about an ATX Zetec could cause any kind of happy feelings. My sister's hates it when I "get on the gas" in her car because it's so embarrassing. I can't imagine how she'd react driving a car that runs faster than 18s...

But yeah. People can drive my car, it's just a car. When I had my Probe I loved teaching people how to drive the 5 speed. It was fun.

For me it's not about how fast the car is. There is just something about flooring it in a car. I once drove a friends SRT-4 and when I floored it on a side street I was already going way to fast when I put it in 3rd. When I had my Ranger I could completely open it up without going 143, which I have never done or tried in my SVT.

Did you get them fired? I am so glad the mechanics that I go to know me and are straight up with me about things.

No unfortunately I am pretty non-confrontational. I tend to lose my temper and end up embarassing myself when I do confront people. I just made a comment that I was picking up the car they were reving up. To be honest I was upset that I had taken my car to Wal Mart because friends had mocked their service in the past.

I only let select people drive my car.

I like taking advantage of having a stick shift, most chicks cant drive stick, so if I really am into the girl I am seeing, I take her out and teach her to drive stick. For one, they know you love your car, so if you share that love with them, it shows trust, women totally dig that. :cool:

I taught my ex how to drive stick in my old contour. She got pretty good at it, I was proud of her. Until the day she stole my car from me.

i only take my cars to places that i trust. There are maybe two or three places that i trust the people, because i've known them since before i could drive. I've heard too many horror stories about shops joy riding cars.

I remember when scott (he had a black turbo svt) too his car to a shop, when he went in to check on it he heard a couple of the kids that work there talking about joyriding with it. His car was scrathed, missing two jack point covers, and the exhaust was rattling which on happens with EXTREME wheel hop (which means these kids were beating on his car), it also had 10 more miles on it than when he dropped it off. When he tried to confront the business about everything, the owner skipped town, he got nothing back or fixed.

For me it's not about how fast the car is. There is just something about flooring it in a car. I once drove a friends SRT-4 and when I floored it on a side street I was already going way to fast when I put it in 3rd. When I had my Ranger I could completely open it up without going 143, which I have never done or tried in my SVT.

Well when you floor it in an ATX Zetec, there's a lot of noise and drama, but not much happens. You can't even begin to compare flooring it in an SRT-4 and an ATX Zetec.

i only take my cars to places that i trust. There are maybe two or three places that i trust the people, because i've known them since before i could drive. I've heard too many horror stories about shops joy riding cars.

I remember when scott (he had a black turbo svt) too his car to a shop, when he went in to check on it he heard a couple of the kids that work there talking about joyriding with it. His car was scrathed, missing two jack point covers, and the exhaust was rattling which on happens with EXTREME wheel hop (which means these kids were beating on his car), it also had 10 more miles on it than when he dropped it off. When he tried to confront the business about everything, the owner skipped town, he got nothing back or fixed.

I remember that also, didn't it also cook the turbo since it wasn't cooled down properly?

Back