• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Kill Switch

I don't see why using the cigarette would affect any of that.... it would just need to see ground to flip the relay... all you would have to do is run constant 12V(+) to the 85 pin, and run 86 to the positive lead on the cigarette... then when you pushed the cig lighter in, you would create a ground and the relay would click on... only draw back would be if you had say a cell phone charger in... your relay would be on.... which would mean your bypass would be worthless unless you had another relay involved so you had to do 2 things to get the starter to start....
well, i'd want to create my own ground, so as to not add that much more power to an existing ground wire, unless you wire it all the way back to the cig lighter ground. and yeah, having things plugged into the cig lighter is probably the biggest reason not to go that way.

and yes, cnewton, i am that worried. i deliver pizzas right now, and always leave my keys in my car, so it is a real concern for me. beyond that, it's a decent car, there are certainly worse cars to steal, so i really don't mind spending an extra $10 to ensure that nobody can start it. hell, somebody i work with recently paid me $50 to install it on her contour, and it only took me 20 minutes.

err... the relay doesn't draw that much amperage when it's on.... so running it through the cig would be fine.... remember... relay's are low voltage circuits that control high voltage circuits...... I'd say get a viper remote start... you can press the key fob and take your keys out with you... and leave your car running at the same time.... :shrug:

Back