• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Kill Switch

RawBurt

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm looking to rig up some sort of kill switch that will disable my car from starting unless I have it on. It'll be hidden somewhere... donno... any ideas, I know this can be easily done.

Very good. Now where exactly is the ignition wire, obviously up in the driver side footwell somewhere, but anymore specifics on how to point it out?

Also, would wiring in a on/off switch do the trick?

You can also wire in a toggle switch in series to the fuel pump inertia switch wiring...With switch off, the car will start and die in about 5 sec...use a quality switch.

The ignition wire is a green wire under your feet that runs up near the steering wheel. I found it easy to find in my car.

Add a relay and hook it up to the starter wire and high beam soo you have to have the high beams on to start it.

would it be hard to make a fuel pressure cut off switch?
for something along the same lines.
i'm moving down to chicago and i just don't want my car to get jacked.

what other things could i do for security?
i already have an aftermarket alarm

What year and model is the car again... can get you the wiring guide for that... if you want....

I think adding a capacitor would be cool too. Then, if you get car jacked, you can flip the switch and they'll be able to get a mile down the road before it dies. That way you won't get shot when the motor dies right after you got out of the car.

I think adding a capacitor would be cool too. Then, if you get car jacked, you can flip the switch and they'll be able to get a mile down the road before it dies. That way you won't get shot when the motor dies right after you got out of the car.

I don't think a capacitor would be able to do that... but then again... I could be very wrong.... would be pretty funny though, good way to protect yourself if it worked...

Other than that... RawBurt your starter wire is Gray/White at the ignition harness, bypass that with a switch and no one will be able to start your car....

These wire colors area all found at the ignition harness:
Ignition = Green
Accessory = Yellow
Starter = Gray/White
+12 Volts = Red

Be sure to test your wires 1st before you do anything.... Make sure these wire colors are correct before you go around cutting and bypassing things...

MULTIMETER MULTIMETER MULTIMETER MULTIMETER RA RA RA!!!

Last edited:
rawbutt just get a bosch 30 amp relay

Cut starter wire in half. Put one side of starter wire to #30 on relay other side of starter to #87

Find the power coming out of the headlight switch when you flash your brights. Tap that wire and send it to #85 then connect a ground wire to the car and hook that wire up to #86

LoL, nice... high beams to start the car.... that is awesome! :D Someone had something like that setup in a car I did awhile back... it was in a toyota pathfinder I think.. had to push the traction control or something button on the left side of the dash.... I don't remember exactly what it was... same concept though...

Back