• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Kill Switch

This reminds me of a time when I worked repo, This jacka55 had a kill switch on his car and I figured he did but couldn't find where, he came out thinking I was a car jacker and all hell broke loose. i tried to tell him that I was repoing his car but he thought I was feeding him a line. me and this dude went round after round until the cops got there and arrested us, I spent a couple of hours in the police station until it all got sorted out and then he went to jail for assault and I took his car. I actually felt bad for the guy.

just got a relay today, gonna try steeda's bright switch turn on technique. before i start though, the way i understand this, it'll mean that i'll have to crank the key and flip the headlight switch at the same time to start it?

You can hold your high beams on and turn the key it will start or you can hold your key at start and pull your high beams till it starts, your choice....

Do a how-to:

Or take massive pictures I wanna know how to do this!

Thats like a SIX Dollar Alarm System with basically no extra wires making things messy!

- Amyn

Do a how-to:

Or take massive pictures I wanna know how to do this!

Thats like a SIX Dollar Alarm System with basically no extra wires making things messy!

- Amyn

will do, i realized i need a wire tap and a couple little things to do it right, so i haven't gotten to it yet, but i'll surely do it by tomorrow.

lol taps are prettier. Taps are a fire hazard!

Do a how to? I just told you what to do. What more do you really need?

lol taps are prettier. Taps are a fire hazard!

Do a how to? I just told you what to do. What more do you really need?

but, when you've only got power going through for a couple seconds, fire's not much of a risk. (besides, fire's hella pretty!)

just got it done, btw, and it works great! i took about 100 pics during (mostly because of focusing issues), and i'll post a how-to in a few, when i get done hosting the pics.

thanks again for your help steeda, great idea, great results!

[edit]because i'm still a n00b, i guess i can't post in the how-to sections. trying to get rara to post it for me, but i'll post a few quick pics in here in the mean time (coming soon)

Last edited:
so here's the mini how-to on this:

1. Remove the lower plastic where the ignition is by removing the 3 screws underneath then pulling it out. Once you've done this, locate the wire bunch coming from the switch on the left you pull for the headlight flasher. Here, you want to tap into the orange wire with the yellow stripe, and the black wire (when I say tap into, you can also just pull back the insulation and wrap another wire around it and tape it together, whatever works for you). 18-gauge wire is the best here, as it matches the original wiring.
834846323_80a0804ff3.jpg

2. Your relay might have 1 more prong than mine, it'll be an 87a if it does, but don't worry, you don't need it. Just make sure you have a 30amp relay, similar to this one (if you do have the 87a prong, you'd probably be best to just wrap it in electrical tape and ignore it.). With the wire that connects to the oragne/yellow wire, put a female connect on the other end and stick it on the 85 prong (each are numbered on both sides of the relay), and the black wire on #86. (image only shows #85 occupied, which is the lead from the flasher, #86 is just opposite it, which is where the black ground goes).
834846367_629c6564a1.jpg

3. There are several ways of doing the next part, but here's my suggestion. Here, you need to cut the starter wire in half, to keep simply turning the key from starting the car, but it's up to you where you want to cut it. First, remove the lower plastic panel from under the steering wheel. There should be 5 7mm head screws, with the top 3 being behind plastic covers which come off easily with a tiny electronics screw driver or utility knife. As shown in the picture, the grey/white wire is the starter wire, and the one you'll need to cut, but don't cut just yet!
834846381_8490a880a3.jpg

4. Since there's not a helluva lotta slack here, I chose to follow the wire to just around the fuse box, to the left. You car will probably look a little different than mine, and it'll probably be easier to work on. The problem with mine is somebody installed a security device before I got the car, but never gave me the wireless device to use it. Anyway, the wire will be exactly the same over here, 14-gauge, grey/white. Can spot it from a mile away. In this shot, the wire is cut and the half closest to the ignition has been coupled with a wire I added which will lead to #30 on the relay. It's best to use 14-gauge wires to extend the starter wiring, since that's what comes stock (color coding is great, too, but I'm kinda poor, and can't afford all that wiring!). The other end of the starter wire (the one that leads away from the ignition), will be connected to another 14-gauge wire which will lead to the #87 prong on the relay.
834846427_14b1779e24.jpg

5. And you're done! That's all there is to it. Just stash the relay somewhere, you could even screw it in to some plastic somewhere if you should feel so inclined, and then put the panels back and you're good to go! (a tip for getting the steering column lower plastic back on: line up the ignition first, then everything else will line up easily). Below are a couple of shots of the final product, before putting the panels back on:
834846485_082e8549b4.jpg

834846517_a8f0ccdd0d.jpg

Just remember: after doing this mod, you must hold your bright switch in, and turn the key at the same time for the car to start!

I would rate this as an awesome value (a $6 security system!), and a very easy job to do. Took about an hour, but that was because I had to find the wires on my own. All credit goes to Steeda for the idea. ask if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Why didn't you just buy the replacement transmitter for it then.... :shrug:

Oh and I listed the wire colors for you as well there if you read through....

I don't think a capacitor would be able to do that... but then again... I could be very wrong.... would be pretty funny though, good way to protect yourself if it worked...

Other than that... RawBurt your starter wire is Gray/White at the ignition harness, bypass that with a switch and no one will be able to start your car....

These wire colors area all found at the ignition harness:
Ignition = Green
Accessory = Yellow
Starter = Gray/White
+12 Volts = Red

Be sure to test your wires 1st before you do anything.... Make sure these wire colors are correct before you go around cutting and bypassing things...

MULTIMETER MULTIMETER MULTIMETER MULTIMETER RA RA RA!!!

Why didn't you just buy the replacement transmitter for it then.... :shrug:

Oh and I listed the wire colors for you as well there if you read through....

:) i knew that was in there somewhere! oh well, no harm done, anyway.

btw, i have no idea what kinda of security system it is. it doesn't have a name on it or anything, it's weird. i'll take it apart one of these days to figure it out, but i just don't have the time right now. besides, nobody is gonna steal this car now, especially not where i live and work.

Does it have an emblem of any sort on it? I can't believe it's not marked somewhere..... Post a picture of it if you can please...

Does the bright switch have to be held in just to start cranking or does it have to be held on until the engine starts? I know the power (headlight switch) has to be on in order to close the circuit in the relay for the starter to be connected. I'm wondering if the switch has to be held on until the engine starts, will it shorten the life of my high beam bulbs.

BTW Steeda, this is one heck of an idea as long as it doesn't burn out my Silverstars. It sure beats this: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...01&sku=MY23035G&searchbtn.x=13&searchbtn.y=13

Just thought of something (DUH), this is going to kill my remote starter. Crap!

Last edited:
you could hook up your RS status wire to the relay as well it would slightly more complicated.

It won't burn out the bulbs its just normal use.

You have to hold down the highbeams the whole time until its started

you could hook up your RS status wire to the relay as well it would slightly more complicated.

It won't burn out the bulbs its just normal use.

You have to hold down the highbeams the whole time until its started

If it's as simple as tapping into the status wire, maybe you could show me which one it is at ESOB.:rolleyes:

Does the bright switch have to be held in just to start cranking or does it have to be held on until the engine starts? I know the power (headlight switch) has to be on in order to close the circuit in the relay for the starter to be connected. I'm wondering if the switch has to be held on until the engine starts, will it shorten the life of my high beam bulbs.

BTW Steeda, this is one heck of an idea as long as it doesn't burn out my Silverstars. It sure beats this: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...01&sku=MY23035G&searchbtn.x=13&searchbtn.y=13

Just thought of something (DUH), this is going to kill my remote starter. Crap!

No, you don't have to have the headlights turned on. just crank the key, flip the bright switch towards you (to flash), and hold until the car starts. or you can flip the lights first, either way. as soon as either the key is let go, or the light handle is let go, the starter instantly loses power.

i've been delivering pizza with it for a couple days, and it's been working great. i actually offered a few people $100 if they could start the car in under a minute, and nobody got close!

Back