• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Joe's Powder Co. (pricing listed inside)

You told me so ;).

You have also helped. Couldn't have done that last job without you. Thanks again.

Actually, I don't coat wheels anyway. I tried it on some 15" for someone and my equipment doesn't support that big of a part. It is hard to coat UIMs sometimes with my setup. I know Randy does (collinsPC) and has done it well. Shipping to him would be even further from you though :blackeye:.

That didn't take long :laugh:.

You told me so ;).

You have also helped. Couldn't have done that last job without you. Thanks again.

Now that's a stand up guy. He could have moved in and filled the void and here he is talking you back into the business.

I will say I was kind of shocked to see things closed up so suddenly, but glad to see the doors are open once again. I figured you had a lot invested in all of this to just walk away.

I was doubting my skills and was bummed out after a bad coating job. I thought I had a good run and Randy (collinpc) could really benifit from you guys here.

Randy is actually bailing me out of my mishap and I don't have the stripping chemicals or quality guns/booth/oven setup that he has. I can get very close to perfection, but not all the time. I can't thank him enough because I couldn't even go to a local coater by me and have them work with me.

Thanks again Randy ;).

Wow man, I'm sorry my parts were such a problem I didn't even see that you decided to stop coating. I would feel so guilty if you would have closed up shop just because of them. I hope you don't mind me sharing a little bit what happened Joe as I think you are a stand up guy and people should know. I sent Joe a handful of parts to be pc'ed, but the valve covers and uim bubbled like crazy, despite joe putting extra prep time into them. I know Joe did everything he could to avoid this, but apparently my parts were just extra extra problematic. This really disappointment me, as I really wanted my parts pc'ed. Joe gave me several different options at no additional cost to me. I had told Joe I was fine with one of the alternatives he gave me, but then Joe privately sent my parts to CollinsPC so I could get the exact finish I was looking for, again at no additional cost to me, and probably at loss to Joe. Joe didn't just go the extra mile for me, but went 5 extra miles. I don't even know Joe personally or even regularly post here on CEG as you can see from my post count. Joe treated me as good as my best friend. So a big thanks to Joe he really went far beyond what I ever expect. Also thanks to CollinsPC for your involvement(I hope you cut Joe a deal as he is a stand up guy). I hope sharing my experience with Joe only helps get him more business as you can see most of his work turns out awesome, which is why when I thought of getting my parts pc'ed I immediately knew they would go to him. I'm glad you decided to continue to offer your services.

I am very happy that you are an understanding customer. You have been very patient with me and I know this is taking way longer than expected. If I had all the stripping supplies here I probably would have just taken care of it all already and no one would have even known I had some issues going on. I have narrowed down the problem to my big blast cabinet. I believe the amber blast I am using is turning into such a fine powder now from being recycled so much that the tiny grains are just being pushed into the porus metal. Regardless of cleaning and outgassing it remains in the metal causing the blistering.

I went back to my smaller steel shot blast cabinet and havn't had any issues at all and actually never had with this material.

Thanks again for the lengthy post telling everyone how it is. I appreciate it. You should see your parts pretty soon. - JOE

I have been really busy and apologize for not answering sooner. I have the UIM stripped and blasted and should be coating it tomorrow. had to let it soak for awhile in the stripper to get the coating off and clean the part itself. Your media could have been the problem Joe, that was some serious outgassing going on there!!

It's no problem how long it takes. It will be well worth the wait. Send me your paypal info and I can get that payment to you and nadthomas' shipping address. It can go right to him when you are done. Thanks again.

Hey Joe, where you goin with that powder-coat gun in your hand? :laugh:

I'm interested in getting my valve covers and possibly TB coated. I want to optimize my TB though, so should I wait until I get that back from you or would over-spray not be an issue?

Let me know here or via PM.

Thanks mang,
Dan

I'm not going anywhere with the coating gun. ;)

You can optimise before or after coating, either way. I mask off the inside of the TB so you don't need to worry about overspray in there. What color do you have in mind?

Ford blue-ish? This wouldn't be for a little while though. My car's been sitting in a non running state for some time and I want to get it running smooth again before I drop the $$ to pretty her up. I'd like to get to that point, where I can care about cosmetics, but they way things have gone with this car... :cry:

We'll get there. :cool:

Hey you don't do rims do you? I have a set of cheap evilbay saleens that are already starting to pit after being on the car for less than a year... What I get I suppose. Before I just buy new rims I'm wondering if a cleaning/powdercoating job would be cheaper. Rims are 18x9 and 18x10.5 so they're relatively large.

dosent look like it (post #504)

"blu_fuz
Actually, I don't coat wheels anyway. I tried it on some 15" for someone and my equipment doesn't support that big of a part. It is hard to coat UIMs sometimes with my setup. I know Randy does (collinsPC) and has done it well. Shipping to him would be even further from you though :blackeye:"

Ah, well I emailed collinsPC so we'll see what he charges. I'm thinking it is going to be cheaper to find a good used set or even buy new though... Shipping wheels is a ••••• and a half.

Yeah, thanks for getting that quote up for me. Shipping wheels is around $100 one way, so it is definetly a cost you have to consider when buying wheels to have refinished. Check around for a local coater, maybe you will find someone like me on craigslist that does it cheap.

Yeah looks like its gonna have to be local. $200 for shipping both ways is just too much. The rims are still good from like 5 ft but I'm just super pissed that they didn't even last 2 season without pitting... The OEM wheels the car came with have some curb rash on the lip and that is it... no pitting and over 15 years old... Which is why I am ONLY going to buy FRPP wheels for my Cobra AND my Contour from now on. It'll be FSVT wheels (either euro or regular) for the Tour and probably the 2000 R rims for the Cobra. Actually those rims are basically identical lol.

Anyway thanks for getting back to me so quick and I will definitely start hitting up craigslist and calling around shops here. I can't imagine someone in NJ doesn't powdercoat...

Yeah looks like its gonna have to be local. $200 for shipping both ways is just too much. The rims are still good from like 5 ft but I'm just super pissed that they didn't even last 2 season without pitting... The OEM wheels the car came with have some curb rash on the lip and that is it... no pitting and over 15 years old... Which is why I am ONLY going to buy FRPP wheels for my Cobra AND my Contour from now on. It'll be FSVT wheels (either euro or regular) for the Tour and probably the 2000 R rims for the Cobra. Actually those rims are basically identical lol.

Anyway thanks for getting back to me so quick and I will definitely start hitting up craigslist and calling around shops here. I can't imagine someone in NJ doesn't powdercoat...

Scott,

I responded to your email. I know two good coaters in NJ, one is 1.5 hours north from you and the other is 2 hours south.

Back