• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID kit $205 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any problems mounting the ballasts? Where did you put them? I figure they're on the inside of the "front header panel" which is what I'd call the panel behind the headlights. Passenger side should be ok but what the driver's side---is there room by the battery or what?

My drivers side ballast is in the battery "tray", in between the battery and the side. Fits nicely there. The passenger one sits right next to the top of the window washing fluid tank. I've been trying to think of a better place to mount that one.

I have to disagree, at least on OEM bulbs, which those are not.

4300 starts off white, maybe a hint of yellow. after a the colorshift is done they are pure white / blue.

5k is more blue than white, and 6k is blue.

DSC00384.jpg

:shrug:

Id say you'd be happy with 4300 or 5k and I wouldnt venture further than that.

ok i know this may be a stupid question but what the heck. for comparison reasons does anyone know the K of the lights that acura uses? For example the '02 cl's or tl's? will this kit look something like those?

ok i know this may be a stupid question but what the heck. for comparison reasons does anyone know the K of the lights that acura uses? For example the '02 cl's or tl's? will this kit look something like those?

All stock OEM lighting is the 4100-4300k bulb which color shift and get more colorful as they age. Unless you consider some of the higher rated bulbs that are used in some of the BMW's. The difference in color on new cars from car manufacturer to car manufacturer in regards to projector HID's is b/c of the projector not the bulb. Different projectors produce different color. The older cars like the 02 CL and TL I believe both use a reflector housing and not a projector. If those cars are running their original bulbs they will have colorshifted alot b/c of their age producing more of a blue color (Philips) or pink color(Osram). If you are looking for that much color you want the 5000k and up bulbs. However anything above 5000k and you begin to dramatically lose lighting performance i.e. the higher kelvin the more color and less lumen output.

Now Osram and Philips both make OEM bulbs for various cars. The Osram is the more pinkish-purplish looking HID light that I'm sure you have seen. I don't care for that color myself. The blue-ish white are Philips.

Thats my HID tutorial for the day.

One last general question before I get these. Can you flash slow drivers, opposing traffic, etc or would that cause problems with the bulbs or ballasts (not that I do this alot). I'm just so anal sometimes that I drive myself crazy.:nonono: You can always depend on me to ask questions no one else thinks about.

Well I got mine installed this afternoon. I took some more pics for comparison b/c I have 2 SVT's, both w/ new headlights so I pulled them side to side & compared. I'm happy w/ them & will be ordering another set for the wifes car. BTW Its a 5000k kit.

Both
100_1461.jpg

HID
100_1453.jpg

Stock(High beam bulbs in low beam spots)
100_1452.jpg

Head on
100_1459.jpg

100_1457.jpg

for the pre98 guys that are debating on doing this. heres the only pics i have before i tore the engine and trans out. no more pics for a few weeks. they are not the greatest pics but they should help make your decision. IMHO you should deffinatly get them. after i put them in i dont know if ill ever be able to go back to regular bulbs.

forgot to turn off the flash. even still you can tell they are turned on:cool:
101_0226.jpg

101_0227.jpg

101_0232.jpg

HTH

One last general question before I get these. Can you flash slow drivers, opposing traffic, etc or would that cause problems with the bulbs or ballasts (not that I do this alot). I'm just so anal sometimes that I drive myself crazy.:nonono: You can always depend on me to ask questions no one else thinks about.

flash with your high's not lows. It is not good/recommended to turn off and turn on HID repeatedly.

but when you flash the high, do the low turn on and off at the same time that the high turn on and off, or do the low stay on when the high are on ?

This has been asked numerous times and I know for a fact the lows stay on when you turn on the high's. So when you are running HID's use the high's to flash. This will not hinder the HID's this way as they will always be on. I've been running HID's for almost a year and have been doing this exact way when I flash ppl.

edit: this is for post-98's...no idea about pre-98's

pre-98s are the same as post-98s. there really isnt much difference between pre and post 98 models except for the body. almost all the electronics are the same. wiring colors and connector numbers might be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back