• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID kit $205 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hella Gen 3 balasts with Philips 4300K bulb. OEM color on HID standard equipped cars

Get 4300K, thats my advice, Im an HID nazi so I know what Im talking about :)

Agreed. If you want a bright white w/ very slight bluish/purplish hue then go 5000k BUT THATS IT! Anything higher and you begin to dramatically lose lighting performance.

Last edited:
I'm in a dilemma between 5000k and 6000k

I want blue but I don't want too blue. I keep seeing pictures comparing the same tempurature and they all look different :laugh:

I think I'll get 5000k, the bluer you go, the worse visiability you have in rain :crazy:

Hey Fellas,

All kits have shipped! Also, the order page has been fixed. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Same prices, just different format for shipping options.

Goonz SVT - yep, that's the name brand product if you want to go name brand. There are Philips HID sites out there but they cost anywhere between $380-$420.

Bridge- Thanks for chiming in - yep, $220 shipped to Canada.

teamSVTour - the 4300k is OEM white, the 5k has a VERY slight tint of blue to it - it is practically unnoticeable. The 6k is really the first step towards a blue tint and 8k is even more blue.

To quote my buddy - "...if one were to assume 4300k offered 100% of the visible light available, stepping to the 6k offers only 88% of the visible light with a tint of blue and 8k offers 80% with even more blue. Of course we're talking about light levels that are a tad over 3x brighter than your traditional 55w halogen/filament based bulb so you're not losing THAT much light but you should keep in mind that the "darker" a light source is, the harder it is to see on a darker surface (read: road)."

Hope that helps.

Berkel - if you want a tint of blue but not too blue, I would suggest going with a 6k. 5k will be quite white.

I have to disagree, at least on OEM bulbs, which those are not.

4300 starts off white, maybe a hint of yellow. after a the colorshift is done they are pure white / blue.

5k is more blue than white, and 6k is blue.

DSC00384.jpg

:shrug:

Id say you'd be happy with 4300 or 5k and I wouldnt venture further than that.

I really hope you guys spend some time aiming this things properly. :ponder:

No shields on the bulbs and improper aim could be dangerous to other drivers on the roads.

My favorite is when a Lexus drives by and their drivers side headlight is jiggling up and down...:crazy:

any car with projectors will do that, when you see their cutoff, you see a variation of colors like purple, blue and white..

My favorite is when a Lexus drives by and their drivers side headlight is jiggling up and down...:crazy:

Thats not the headlight, thats you coming in and out of their colorband. Halogens do it too, its just that they are too gay to be noticable

Thats not the headlight, thats you coming in and out of their colorband. Halogens do it too, its just that they are too gay to be noticable

any car with projectors will do that, when you see their cutoff, you see a variation of colors like purple, blue and white..

Oh, I guess I dont know much into the physics of how these lights actually work. What do you mean by cutoff? I'm intrested in this setup, looking good so far.

Oh, I guess I dont know much into the physics of how these lights actually work. What do you mean by cutoff? I'm intrested in this setup, looking good so far.
Projectors will give you a cutoff like this:

cutoff.jpg

Our headlights will simply scatter the light, not focus it directly on the road like projectors do.

You can see the blue/purple on the edge of the cutoff which makes projectors seem like they're changing colors when a car is coming at you.

contour2.jpg

Berkel is right that projectors will have a more focused beam. If you look at the image above you'll see the beam pattern from Morbid's lights. Not too bad IMO. If the time is taken to focus the beams I think it will be much better than just installing them and leaving them set at factory settings. Those adjustments wouldn't be on the headlights if they never needed adjusting. The HID's are just amplifying what you currently have. This is just an option to you guys that is more cost effective than full blown projectors which we all know requires an oven and surgery with a bit of know how. Unless times have changed and I missed it. If you'd like them, great, I think they are a good product or I wouldn't put my self out like this. If you don't, great, we are all still friends. Enjoy.

BTW this offer is good through the Month of May as it turns out. June 1st will be the last day. It is a Friday. Thanks.

Last edited:
I was supposed to cruise down with Morbid and watch the install, and i have yet so seen morbid's in person (shame on you morbid!)... but yes, i am VERY interested and since im local is there anyway to get a discounted price if i pick them up ? :shrug:

p.s. Morbid your helping me install them :p

Is there a "cutoff" for the GB? And I have the same question as TheSCHAFF, any difference if I pick it up locally? Let me know, I ABSOLUTELY want to do this, I just need a little bit of time to get everything up and running on the car before I go spend $200 on this.

Projectors will give you a cutoff like this:

Our headlights will simply scatter the light, not focus it directly on the road like projectors do.

You can see the blue/purple on the edge of the cutoff which makes projectors seem like they're changing colors when a car is coming at you.

Thank you for the information, I would really like to get some brighter lights in my car, probably after I spring for some new headlights or wetsand the ones I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back