• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dragon Run 09'...poll for when to run it this year.

Dragon Run 09'...poll for when to run it this year.

• Sept 10th thru 13th (Thur-Sun)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sept 17th thru 20th (Thur-Sun)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aw shucks :eek:

I think the first week of October is the last week I could do it. End of Sept./early Oct. is the start of our busy season so pushing it beyond that is pushing my luck. I'm just one person though, whatever is best for the group. :cool:

Well the first weekend in Sept is Labor Day weekend....which will give most of us an extra day off to relax, but on the other hand will more than likely create more traffic (and police).:shrug:

I voted for the last weekend in Sept.

I really can only go to a September weekend because any October date causes vacation schedule conflicts with the Florida Keys "Bay Bottom Crawl". It's been held over the Columbus Day weekend for 49 years & I really want to make this 50th anniversary event.

Also, although the leaves are beautiful in October they bring more ssllooww drivers.

I like the idea of
going to Gatlinburg and checking out the Dukes of Hazard museum, having lunch at the Hard Rock there and afterwards hitting 411 to 129 (the Dragon) and running it that way
and of running the Dragon on Friday, then doing something less well known on Saturday.

I'd like to do a run across the Foothills Parkway in TN, too.

An "I dont care" vote would not count towards any date. It says I will go whatever date is most comvenient to others. So the date with most actual votes wins as it accomodates the most peoples choice.

So hopefully all that have voted will attend if their date chosen. I'm waiting to vote as still not 100% I can make it yet.

ps - anybody riding their bike or all cars?

Just an FYI the 8th Gen. Civic group will be there Sept. 10-12. Not a usually a huge group I don't think, but it could be.

An "I dont care" vote would not count towards any date. It says I will go whatever date is most comvenient to others. So the date with most actual votes wins as it accomodates the most peoples choice.

So hopefully all that have voted will attend if their date chosen. I'm waiting to vote as still not 100% I can make it yet.

ps - anybody riding their bike or all cars?

First off I really appreciate you not voting unless your sure you can make it, thank you very much for that, but I didn't post anything about the "I don't care votes" going to whatever date is most convienient, those votes have always gone to the the lead vote getter, lets not make this complicated like SZ:crazy: because it never has been, its been for the people and by the people since 2003! Even our hotel room situation is taken care of well inadvance, unlike SZ but then again we've got about 75% less people going to this event, with a simple phone call to Dixie at Caney Creek Village (www.caneycreekvillage.com) I just call her and let her know about our dates, about how many are coming and to tell her your with the group set up by "Roger in DEETROIT":cool: We've never had a problem there, ever, infact last year they offer a free breakfast at the local restaraunt and as anyone can attest who's gone there in the past, its first rate, comfortable and tastes really good:drool::drool::drool:, they even have called the "Cherohala". In the event of tie, do you guys have any suggestions:shrug:

I voted for the last weekend in Sept.

I really can only go to a September weekend because any October date causes vacation schedule conflicts with the Florida Keys "Bay Bottom Crawl". It's been held over the Columbus Day weekend for 49 years & I really want to make this 50th anniversary event.

Also, although the leaves are beautiful in October they bring more ssllooww drivers.

I like the idea of and of running the Dragon on Friday, then doing something less well known on Saturday.

I'd like to do a run across the Foothills Parkway in TN, too.

September could still happen and we'd like to have you out there again, two years has been a long time and you missed a great run last year. I like the idea of the run across the Foothills Parkway, how far is that from Tellico Plains, don't really care, just curious:shrug:

Roger, the foothills parkway Is in the loop I posted. It's a really nice drive with almost no traffic and comes out onto 129 right near the gravel lot at the top of the dragon.

no, go to post #4 in this thread. I posted a link to google maps with a loop that takes us over to Gatlinburg. that loop also has us run the foothills parkway.

no, go to post #4 in this thread. I posted a link to google maps with a loop that takes us over to Gatlinburg. that loop also has us run the foothills parkway.

Sorry about that, but I'd be up for that for sure, just like the night run I've been wanting to do for the past 2 years, lets keep our fingers crossed for that one! I wanna run it and then stop at the dam overview and take in the night, hangout and bs for a while and then head back. It makes for a longer day but then again I've only been wanting to do this for 2 years and we were well on our way last year until the unfortunate incident with the dead dog on the road:(

Sorry about that, but I'd be up for that for sure, just like the night run I've been wanting to do for the past 2 years, lets keep our fingers crossed for that one! I wanna run it and then stop at the dam overview and take in the night, hangout and bs for a while and then head back. It makes for a longer day but then again I've only been wanting to do this for 2 years and we were well on our way last year until the unfortunate incident with the dead dog on the road:(

driving these twisty roads at night is not much fun. Billy, the girls and I went in to gatlingburg the last night we were there. The drive back to the cabins at night was a situation where one could very easily outdrive their headlights.

The cherohola worked at night because it was longer sweeping turns. Driving at night with tighter turns is just asking to run over another dog or run into something or someone else.

driving these twisty roads at night is not much fun. Billy, the girls and I went in to gatlingburg the last night we were there. The drive back to the cabins at night was a situation where one could very easily outdrive their headlights.

The cherohola worked at night because it was longer sweeping turns. Driving at night with tighter turns is just asking to run over another dog or run into something or someone else.
I couldn't agree more. You can see absolutely nothing but what is strait in front of you and on 129 you are NEVER going in the direction that your lights are facing.

Running the Dragon at night is not all that appealing to me. Our run back on the Cherohala, however, was pretty fun at night. Nice and empty and your lights are pointing in the direction of travel for the most part.

Dragon is a whole different beast at night.:crazy:

You guys have fun conquering that beast at night and running into more dogs.....the fact that it quickly disappeared leads me to believe it was actually big foot, but that is another discussion.

Chris, Billy, the girls, anybody who wants to join us, and myself will be sitting by a campfire making smores. You better bring your dad Hector. We will need him to take down a few trees for firewood.

You guys have fun conquering that beast at night and running into more dogs.....the fact that it quickly disappeared leads me to believe it was actually big foot, but that is another discussion.

Chris, Billy, the girls, anybody who wants to join us, and myself will be sitting by a campfire making smores. You better bring your dad Hector. We will need him to take down a few trees for firewood.
Ever since we went he has been asking when are we going again!:laugh:

Running the Dragon at night is different, but different is good and trust me when I say this, I'm NO daredevil, quite the opposite to be honest ( I just got over my fear of flying:eek:) I have NO intention of going all out when running it at night time, infact, its going to be alot like my first time out there, a leasurely run in the mountains. I really hope to have my rally lights installed by then too, this way I have even more light to see out there, I'm going with the 150w set up, unless they have something else even brighter. Many people have run the Dragon at night w/o incident and I'm looking to be one of those people.

BTW, I may go the Dragon for the MINI's on the Dragon run that being held at the end of April this year, so it could my first double running of the Dragon in one year, I let you guys know:cool:

Back