• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Do You Think It's Worth It To Mod An SE ATX?

You should just save your money and look for an SVT. Then the SE can just be your DD. Take your time, don't be in a hurry, and save for an SVT. You won't regret it.

Thats what i think as well he did say thats what he really wanted. So instead of modding the atx save that mod money and buy an svt or a v6 SE.

There were two recent SVT's on eBay with under 100k. One with 44k on it went for $6100 - and that had a salvage title.

The other with over 59k had 24 bids, topping out at $7400.00 - but did not sell because it was below the reserve.

The reserve on that silver one was 7500, so it came fairly close. Missed the 44K mile salvaged title one though. Sounds like that could have been a good pick up.

I almost bought that silver one about a year and a half ago but just couldent work out a deal with the seller at the time.

If you want to do mods, only get stuff that you can easily switch over to the svt when you get it. That way you're not throwing the cash down the drain when you sell that car.

If you want to do mods, only get stuff that you can easily switch over to the svt when you get it. That way you're not throwing the cash down the drain when you sell that car.

I was actually keeping that in mind. If anything, if I were to do some things to my car now, I would need for it to be transferable so it would save me that money, you know?

I've always wanted to build a car for my dad, and he's always loved the SVT's. Only problem is that he can't drive a 5-speed. So I've thought about finding an SE ATX and doing every SVT conversion I could (UIM/LIM, suspension, brakes, body, etc) so he would have an SVT "clone" but he could still drive it fairly easily.

So with that in mind, if for some reason you can't drive a 5-speed, then yeah, mod the heck out of your SE and have fun. Like others said, a trans cooler is never a bad idea with these cars, even if you're keeping it stock. It just helps with the longevity of the parts, and if you do all your normal maintenance (flushes, etc) as well, then you shouldn't have a problem with the ATX.

why are you asking everyone else if you should mod your car. If you want a modded car, then what everyone else thinks wont matter anyways. No matter what, you do things to bump up your HP its gonna have more power, atx or mtx. If you mod for HP build up the weak lil ford tranny. If you mod just for looks, then I guess it doesnt matter whats under the hood. If you mod for just A/V, then.... you are probably a poser.

If you like the car, make it your own.

why are you asking everyone else if you should mod your car. If you want a modded car, then what everyone else thinks wont matter anyways. No matter what, you do things to bump up your HP its gonna have more power, atx or mtx. If you mod for HP build up the weak lil ford tranny. If you mod just for looks, then I guess it doesnt matter whats under the hood. If you mod for just A/V, then.... you are probably a poser.

If you like the car, make it your own.
In general I'd have to agree with you, but I think the gist of what he's asking is a question that needs asking for so many that do have an ATX. The bottom line here is will it stay together if I do mod it, so is it even worth doing in the first place?

That answer is subject to what one has in mind. Your reply about building up the tranny indicates that you are not very aware of the workings and any available upgrades to this particular unit. Unfortunately there are no aftermarket parts to improve it, nor are there any new parts available for it. In short any rebuild of the internal workings of this ATX will be with used stuff and there is nothing that you can do to make it stronger. With this ATX it is not a matter of if it will go out, it is a question of when. With proper maintenance including regular synthetic fluid changes, and a cooler it will last reasonably well, but still may go for no reason at all. I know mine went at around 120k when I was only going 15 mph. It had never been abused, ever, and it is being pushed by a 4banger.

Just like the tower bolt in the MTX it is not a question of if but when is it going to break.

AF

adding a trans cooler will help. I am not sure about the availability of a shift improver kit, however if there is one available it would decrease wear on the clutch packs by making the transmission shift marginally faster. I am not aware of any problems in the planetary gear set on these transmissions. I apologize if I wasnt clear by what I meant by building the transmission.

Unfortunately Ford has a track record of producing weak transmissions since the end of the 80s. Your transmission will wear out eventually, much like any other car, just a little sooner. Adding bolt-ons is not going to signifigantly decrease the life of the transmission.

edit: BTW a transmission bolted to a 4 cylinder is generally more abused than a transmission bolted to a V6. Due to the different final drive ratio, the 4 cylinder requires more torque to create the same speed on output.

Even with a Zetec/ATX combo, my car's more fun that a barrel of monkeys. My advice; intake (with heatshield!)/exhaust (with res.!), BAT/eibach, SVT brakes w/ slotted rotors, SVT kit, and the like. The car would be great, and give you years of fun, providing that you don't beat on it:cool:

adding a trans cooler will help. I am not sure about the availability of a shift improver kit, however if there is one available it would decrease wear on the clutch packs by making the transmission shift marginally faster. I am not aware of any problems in the planetary gear set on these transmissions. I apologize if I wasnt clear by what I meant by building the transmission.

Well let me say this again... there are no shift kits available for the CD4E, and it is usually the planetary gears that go out. There are no new gear set available. It is more common than the torque converter, valve body, or pump failures.
PIC00005.jpg

The cost of a tranny rebuild is about $2,300, (including R&R) so at that point one has to consider the replacement price of the vehicle. There are plenty of Tours in the JY simply do to a bad ATX.

AF

To be honest, with all that said, and after reading in the forums for almost close to a year, knowing all the great and not so great about this platform, I think I've made a decision. I'm actually thinking, for about two months now with the car I've been wanting in that time period, of switching over to a different platform. I mean, I love my car, and I love the CSVT, but like what everyone has said time and time before, there's only so much you can do, and so much power front wheel drive cars can handle, such as this one.

So, with that said, I'm now saving up for a Nissan 350Z.

LOL now you're exhibiting more sanity than most of us here..... But take a look at a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP another great little car and not a ricer :laugh:

With a GTP and 2k you can break into the 11's. ZZPerformance around here has an 8 second car and almost all of the local gtps have some of their parts.

With a GTP and 2k you can break into the 11's. ZZPerformance around here has an 8 second car and almost all of the local gtps have some of their parts.

And you can do it sounding like Rancid asswind the entire time. WORST SOUNDING MOTOR EVER.

Back