• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Change your cabin air filter!!!

I may be asking something common and i didn't search for a solution for this, BUT i replaced my cabin air filter like i want to say four months ago, and even then i turn on the heat to the windshield setting and when it pumps out air, at first it smells pretty bad.

Also, this happens when i turned on the A/C here and there this past 2007 summer....so, am i missing to clean the whole piping on this and find stuff that shouldn't be there thus causing this problem?

What do you folks suggest?

I can probably change the filter again, just to be safe, the weird thing is that i mentioned before is that the smell was there even after the new one went in...

Thanks for all suggestions!
If you've run the A/C compressor (for cooling or defrost), it's good to let non A/C air circulate through the vents for a few minutes before shutting the engine off. Usually I'll shut off the A/C but leave the fan on a few minutes before I get to my destination and that will dry up any condensation that would ordinarily be left in the system to get stale.
Karl

also when your in there, make sure you clean out any random leaf/crap debris thats built up under that cowl. I have a feeling thats going to be a source of rust spots for people from standing water.

at walmar the other day I saw febreeze cabin air filters... didn't see the price... or maybe they were like 25 or 30... but yeah good thought

I finally broke down and picked up a new one. Advance has all air filters, including cabin air filters, on sale 25% off this month so now is a good time to get one, just a heads up. Purolator C14860, $12.66. :cool:

98SVTC

My understanding is that A/C's take humidity out the air. What condensation are you referring to? In many high humidity climates doing as you suggest would actual put moisture into the vent system.
Personally I run on recirculate 100% of the time. Keeps outside smells out of the car and reduces dust in the interior. Never have a problem with fogging either as most people think.

If you've run the A/C compressor (for cooling or defrost), it's good to let non A/C air circulate through the vents for a few minutes before shutting the engine off. Usually I'll shut off the A/C but leave the fan on a few minutes before I get to my destination and that will dry up any condensation that would ordinarily be left in the system to get stale.
Karl

98SVTC

My understanding is that A/C's take humidity out the air. What condensation are you referring to? In many high humidity climates doing as you suggest would actual put moisture into the vent system.
Personally I run on recirculate 100% of the time. Keeps outside smells out of the car and reduces dust in the interior. Never have a problem with fogging either as most people think.
Seems like if I turn the AC off without letting regular air blow through the system a bit before shutting it completely off, there's a musty smell which blows out first the next time you use the fan. Even on my new truck I noticed this. I don't know what actually causes this but there must be some sort of residual moisture (or something) left in the system I would think.
Karl

This reminds me I need to pull mine for measurements and also to vacuum it out a little bit. I bought the cut to fit filter other car folks use in theirs but ours looks a lot thicker.

There is a scheduled replacement interval in the service manual. I follow the 5000 mile interval and I know mine was replaced either at 95K or 100K.

I'm sure it's more often than that but the manual is in the glovebox.... in the driveway.... in 8 inches of snow.... and it's 5 below out. Umm... not going out just to look, sorry! :eek:

I've always changed the ones in the cars in the spring.

I just found a place that carries the Bosch Activated charcoal filter and asked them to order me one, and when I went to go get it, it was a pack of TWELVE.

I have extras now! :shocked:

I just found a place that carries the Bosch Activated charcoal filter and asked them to order me one, and when I went to go get it, it was a pack of TWELVE.

Where and how much where they? I have yet to see activated charcoal cabin filters anywhere around here.

So they didnt charge you for 12? I bet the guy who rang you up is gonna be mad if he has to cover the difference.

I bought Mazda lifters one time that came in boxes of 4 and so he just rang me up for 3 lifters, instead of 12. I didnt mind but the next time I came to get a part he was quite upset that he had been asked to pay the difference which was quite high at $15 a lifter.

Yeah I bought all 12. I figured I'll keep 4 and throw the rest on ebay, or if I keep the car another 12 years...who knows.

I bought them from a local European auto parts distributor, they were special order, so I just went ahead and took the box.

Back