• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Change your cabin air filter!!!

irish spring soap is another mice deterent. take a few bar's and break them up and place them in and around your car.

Eww this makes want to change...and is also deterring me at the same time! That thing is NASTY! I guarantee mine is pretty bad as well, seeing as my heat always blows damp gross air all the time :help:

ALL of the air coming into the cabin comes through that filter. So pretty much everything you breath inside the car with the windows up comes through there.

I didn't think about that. Alright, FINE, I'll move it up a spot on the to-do list. :laugh:

I've just added it to my yearly spring filter replacement. As soon as the heavy pollen season lets up, I change my air filter, cabin air filter, and fuel filter.

I may be asking something common and i didn't search for a solution for this, BUT i replaced my cabin air filter like i want to say four months ago, and even then i turn on the heat to the windshield setting and when it pumps out air, at first it smells pretty bad.

Also, this happens when i turned on the A/C here and there this past 2007 summer....so, am i missing to clean the whole piping on this and find stuff that shouldn't be there thus causing this problem?

What do you folks suggest?

I can probably change the filter again, just to be safe, the weird thing is that i mentioned before is that the smell was there even after the new one went in...

Thanks for all suggestions!

I may be asking something common and i didn't search for a solution for this, BUT i replaced my cabin air filter like i want to say four months ago, and even then i turn on the heat to the windshield setting and when it pumps out air, at first it smells pretty bad.

Also, this happens when i turned on the A/C here and there this past 2007 summer....so, am i missing to clean the whole piping on this and find stuff that shouldn't be there thus causing this problem?

What do you folks suggest?

I can probably change the filter again, just to be safe, the weird thing is that i mentioned before is that the smell was there even after the new one went in...

Thanks for all suggestions!

The filter doesn't remove smells it just filters the dust out. Try cleaning out the cowl around the air filter so you are getting clean air in. Then spray febreez or disinfectant through the air intake while blowing air to clean the hvac piping.

There are also some filters with activated charcoal. These do remove smells. I am not sure if they make these for the contour or not though.

As I had no idea when mine was last changed, so I decided to install a new one.

It looks like it had never been replaced! :nonono: It even had some mold on it.

6qbef76.jpg

and I was breathing the air passing through that filter. :eek:

Getting off subject, but I noticed you have a F-150 due to the reflection of your wheel. What year?

I just changed mine out today, It was real easy. I did not have to remove the wipers(thank god).

I could not believe the amount of Foliage(twigs,leaves,Pine needles) that was in front of the filter. Needless to say what a difference.

i work on these all day long they are a heppa filter like you put in your furnice at home and every time you turn on your ac or heater or even vent all the air gose through that filter

There is a scheduled replacement interval in the service manual. I follow the 5000 mile interval and I know mine was replaced either at 95K or 100K.

I'm sure it's more often than that but the manual is in the glovebox.... in the driveway.... in 8 inches of snow.... and it's 5 below out. Umm... not going out just to look, sorry! :eek:

So yea, I just put in a new cabin filter today. * wow * It's amazing how nasty that thing was! I spray a bunch of fabreeze (tm) in the duct, just past the air filter location, and the car is already starting to feel a bit more fresh. It wasn't noticeably terrible before, but it is nicer now. aahhh!

I'm also that nut who installs filters under every single vent in the house prior to turning the furnace on in the fall. :)

Back