• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can you beat this?

Notice thats .1 inch not .1 percent. The numbers I have show the OEM KDWs at 24.3" and my Dunlops at 24.4".
yes, im aware you meant .1" i read your other thread and did the calculations for 24.4" and 24.3"

24.4" diameter= 69.7 MPH at 3000 RPM in 5th gear
24.3" diameter= 69.4 MPH at 3000 RPM in 5th gear
215/50/16=24.46 diameter= 69.8 MPH at 3000 RPM in 5th gear

You have something else wrong if your speedo is off by that much.

Its the stock rims and the same size tires so what else could it be? An inch difference in side width is easily made up when you switch to a shorter sidewall on the new rim.

My speedo is also off about 4-5 mph at higway speeds always has been. Wife's mystique was dead on. As long as you stay in the the same general diameter it doesn't effect your speedo much. Some cars just read high. This may help some with tire sizes- http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html.

On topic, With shifting under 2500 most of the time I get 26-27 mpgs with 80% back roads around 45-50 mph. I think that is pretty good.

Where's the update?
Maybe reebs ran out of gas somewhere and is stuck on the side of the road waiting for someone to stop and help him out :D

Maybe reebs ran out of gas somewhere and is stuck on the side of the road waiting for someone to stop and help him out :D

I thought the same thing yesterday. One time I was trying to hypermile my Cadillac and I ran out of gas about a 30 minutes walk from anything.

Maybe he's too embarrassed to admit that he's finally figured out that NOBODY can average 500 miles per tank in a Contour.

Well I just filled up 12.8 gal for 275 mi = 21.5 ish. I'll never be trying this again. I guess I'm not a very smooth driver after all.

This made me laugh. :laugh: Nobody around here would stop on the freeway to help me because I have pissed off the whole southeast portion of Michigan with my grandma style cruising.

Maybe he's too embarrassed to admit that he's finally figured out that NOBODY can average 500 miles per tank in a Contour.

Uh, no. I was doing amazing on this tank but decided to take the car down to repair the bad wheel bearing and drop the subframe and rack due to a long ongoing powersteering leak I never got around to fixing. I just haven't put the car back together yet to finish up the tank! I've been driving around the 5.0L Explorer lately and averaging better MPG's than some of you guys! :)

Finish off that tank yet Brapple?

Finish off that tank yet Brapple?

not yet. just alittle under 1/2 tank with 220 miles on it now. best I have ever done at a 1/2 tank was 200 iirc.

I think using the cc that last few days hasn't help as it will just about floor the pedal in the zetec ...

not yet. just alittle under 1/2 tank with 220 miles on it now. best I have ever done at a 1/2 tank was 200 iirc.

I think using the cc that last few days hasn't help as it will just about floor the pedal in the zetec ...

i then estimate that u can only get 150miles tops on the last half. sorry brian. but u know our cars "drink up" the last half.:laugh:

i then estimate that u can only get 150miles tops on the last half. sorry brian. but u know our cars "drink up" the last half.:laugh:

well recently I have been nearing about 350 the more highway miles I drive. normally I fill up around 300~310 ... put in 12 gallons

Man, I hope ya'll are staying out of the fast lane. There's nothing like missing the next light because some asshole in front of you is more worried about gas mileage than keeping traffic flowing. :mad:

Drive as slow as you want people... just don't do it in the fast lane.

Yeah, and the great part is that it is always those slow ass people that run the damn lights because sitting there idling would kill their mileage. :nonono:

Funny guys

Funny guys

This has been a really funny posting. But the numbers being bandied about are fiction.

I am just now reaching 1/4 of a tank and I have driven a little over 300 miles. That puts me on track to reaching close to 400 miles or more. Before my best at near empty was about 320 miles. Recently I have been lucky to reach 300 miles on a tank. BTW I am rarely going over 65 and have only gone over 70 once on this tank. Mostly driving 55-60.

I really can't understand some of the mpg Reebs posted, but I'd never be patient enough to get close anyway.
I will say we started the RVP gas June-Sept here in PA and I get better mileage when I go back home to Ohio and fill up.
-J

I could believe that if you were driving VERY conservatively, i.e. 55-60 mph on a farily flat and straight interstate, that you could obtain those numbers. As I've stated before, the only time that I've really driven my car far enough to empty the tank in one trip was on my way from Texas to Michigan. On the leg from my home north of Dallas to Joplin, MO I got over 29 MPG which got me 430 miles. Now consider that this was at 87 MPH for the majority of it, and included an instance of 95 MPH passing (at which point my father told me that he was going to increase his life insurance policy on me), some traffic slowdown/backup for construction at the Red River, and Oklahoma is fairly hilly. I don't see why a constant 55-60 MPH over flat terrain couldn't easily yield 500+ miles per tank.

That being said, hypermiling in the city is stupid and you really shouldn't do it. It just pisses people off.

my update, didn't do as well as I hope but its a new best for myself.

I just hit 360 on the tank this morning. gauge reds is now reading in the red, which would be similar to the low fuel light coming on if it was a post 98.

as I recall that is the most I have ever gotten on a tank of gas in this car. will most likely fill up on my way home so hopefully I can get another 10 miles out of it ... which I don't think will be a problem.

Back