• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just a couple questions...

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
1. Does the tranny fluid in a 5-speed ever need to be changed? Like would you "feel" it if it needed to be?

2. Does that Gum-Out fuel system cleaner actually work? I was thinking about putting a bottle of total system clean in my car... Does the "use every 3,000mi" actually mean anything? Like once you use it does your engine becomes "addicted" to it and if you do not use it often it actually ruins stuff (I have heard this in other places)?

1. Does the tranny fluid in a 5-speed ever need to be changed? Like would you "feel" it if it needed to be?

2. Does that Gum-Out fuel system cleaner actually work? I was thinking about putting a bottle of total system clean in my car... Does the "use every 3,000mi" actually mean anything? Like once you use it does your engine becomes "addicted" to it and if you do not use it often it actually ruins stuff (I have heard this in other places)?

1. Yes. Every 30,000 miles will do just fine, though you could get away with a little less often. Motorcraft XT-M5-QS is the fluid you want for the MTX-75 transmission.

2. The only other thing I'll put in the tank other than gasoline is Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner. Give that a shot.

1. Yes. Every 30,000 miles will do just fine, though you could get away with a little less often. Motorcraft XT-M5-QS is the fluid you want for the MTX-75 transmission.

2. The only other thing I'll put in the tank other than gasoline is Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner. Give that a shot.

Ok, thanks... Is there any site that gives a "how to" on changing the tranny fluid... It is not as easy as an automatic, right?

EDIT: Who's idea was it to make the tranny hold 2.1 quarts? LOL, why couldn't they just make it two :ponder:

Last edited:
There is THIS site that has a how-to.

check the Duratec Maintenance read-first thread.

fill it until it spills over the edge of the fill port..
filled, till spilled

So how much am I going to shell out on a quart? :mad:

It's a shiny dime (which may explain that extra tenth of a quart you were talking about :laugh: ), but it's the only fluid I'll use. Runs about $18 per. You can call Steve at Tousley Ford and have him ship you some if you like -- he's at 800-328-9552. If you don't feel like paying shipping, a local, private auto parts store may order it for you, as mine did. I don't know if AutoZone, etc. would be interested in helping you, which brings us to a third option: the dealer. I'd call them first to ensure that they lay on a supply up front so that you don't find yourself on a fool's errand.

I just called them and it is only $4.30 a quart!? They said it changed from QS to QM or something like that...
I just looked it up online and that is ATF??? XT-5-QS...

I just called another Ford dealership and they have 9 quarts of the XT-M5-QS at $19.99/quart... Should I just go to this place?

Just called up a third place, $17.95/quart, looks like I am going here, LOL...

Last edited:
Yeah you don't want ATF...get the MTF :)

Yea, that would be a bad call if I did...

Anyways, just one more thing... Occassionally it is hard to put the shifter into first... Like there is no grinding or anything, it just feels like it is getting caught on something... Is this related to needing a fluid change, or does this have something to do with the shifter links?

Anyways, just one more thing... Occassionally it is hard to put the shifter into first... Like there is no grinding or anything, it just feels like it is getting caught on something... Is this related to needing a fluid change, or does this have something to do with the shifter links?

Well, I do not know... I was able to remove the fill plug with the 8mm allen after spraying it with WD-40... I was not able to remove the drain plug though... I am not able to stick the allen head in it as far as possible, maybe about 1/3 way, therefore I can not get it out without stripping it (well, that would not get it out either)... I took the fill plug out all the way, and it is definatly for an allen, not a torx... Looks like this will have to wait until spring though, as it is snowing out now :shocked:

I did check the level with a screwdriver and it seemed to be at a good level and it looked red too...

But as far as my quoted question goes, are there bearings in the shifter, like straight down underneath it? It feels like it is getting snagged there and not at the tranny... And if there was a loose bearing or something, that would be why it only happens once and a while...

Back