• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can you beat this?

Reebs

meester super sleuth
I can and will. Just my best as of yet.

526.8 Miles on a single tank of gas in my daily driver SVT. It had a bad wheel bearing too for that whole tank of gas. :)

It took 14.57 gallons of gas to fill up after that run. I know I can do better and this next tank will prove it. I had a few short 80-85mph highway runs that I had to make on that tank to avoid being late which hurt my mpgs. I'm shooting for 550 miles outta this tank! I'll keep you guys updated.

I'd like to hear your best too. Can you beat this? :D Only talking about Duratec's with stock gear ratios! So can ya?

-Reebs

I can beat that easily.

I drive faster than 80-85 nearly every time I punch it.

Oh.. wait.. you meant the mileage..
no.. no I can't beat that.. not with this.. thing growling at me under the hood begging me to let it sing..

I can and will. Just my best as of yet.

526.8 Miles on a single tank of gas in my daily driver SVT. It had a bad wheel bearing too for that whole tank of gas. :)

It took 14.57 gallons of gas to fill up after that run. I know I can do better and this next tank will prove it. I had a few short 80-85mph highway runs that I had to make on that tank to avoid being late which hurt my mpgs. I'm shooting for 550 miles outta this tank! I'll keep you guys updated.

I'd like to hear your best too. Can you beat this? :D Only talking about Duratec's with stock gear ratios! So can ya?

-Reebs

For the past ten years, in my lowly SE and driving like an old woman, the best I have ever gotten was 30.5 MPG.

For the past ten years, in my lowly SE and driving like an old woman, the best I have ever gotten was 30.5 MPG.

If I drove like an old woman for 10 years and then had someone beat me by that much by driving 80-85 at times... I'd be depressed and pissed that I drove like an old woman to begin with.....

:D :D

wow, when i fill my 97 se duratec i only get like 18 to a gallon at the most.... but thats on a stock engine with bad axels, wheel bearings, and 02 sensors...

I can barely get 300 miles out of a tank and that's with everything replaced that affects fuel mileage to my knowlege.

i just pulled 19.5 on in town driving. i think i can do better but thats pretty good for me. and no sorry i have no proof. so your just going to have to believe me. i did the dividing at the gas station.

jeff you must be holding traffic up with how slow you're driving, what are you shifting at?

Holding up traffic doesn't begin to explain it. :) When I first could drive back in my immature teenage years, I would drive fast and stupid which would REALLY piss people off. I now realize how much more people get pissed when you drive at below minimum speeds! :laugh: I just keep my cool and don't let anyone rush me. I had a smart car go flying by me on the freeway the other day and thought, "wow, I really am going slow!" :laugh: For that tank, I tried to average 57mph at 2250rpms on my freeway driving and shifted at around 1700rpms driving in the city while keeping it in 5th gear as much as possible, timing every light and engine braking when I had to stop. I am trying to not let my rpms go above 2000rpms this tank which limits me around 45mph IIRC. I already have about 100 miles on this tank and lets just say it is looking good for a new record. I think I'm going to try and run this tank out a little more too. :yikes: :D And by the way, this SVT that I'm using as my test subject has 147,xxx miles on it with still the very bad wheel bearing that I haven't had time to fix, completely stock (wheels and all) and I never even checked the tire pressures. I didn't overinflate them or anything dumb like that. The car isn't throwing any codes. I'm going to hit 550 out of this tank for sure and I'll be stranded if I don't because I'm making a vow to not fill up until my trip odometer says 550!

Reebs

Well, I pulled over 29 MPG doing 87+ MPH the whole way up from Texas, through hills, elevation changes, etc. Some of Missouri is quite hilly. So, take you probably extremely grandmaish driven 36 MPG and compare it to my 29 at nearly 90, and I'd say we're about even.

The most I ever drove on one tank was 425 and I was excited. The next time I drive to SC from FL I'm going to try and make even better numbers. When I got 425 I was following my brother's trailblazer that was towing his motorcycle at 70-75mph, drafting FTW. (To move, ride, or drive close behind a fast-moving object so as to take advantage of the slipstream, especially in a race.)

I must need to drive slower, lol, I never could get more than 310 or so on a tank myself, and the wife could get around 350 miles, lol.

The most I ever drove on one tank was 425 and I was excited. The next time I drive to SC from FL I'm going to try and make even better numbers. When I got 425 I was following my brother's trailblazer that was towing his motorcycle at 70-75mph, drafting FTW. (To move, ride, or drive close behind a fast-moving object so as to take advantage of the slipstream, especially in a race.)

And then rear end them when they need to stop.

Back