• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can you beat this?

Once again, I'm not willing to drive slower than an 80 year old woman to see what kind of mileage I can get, but given the circumstances, I think my fill-up last night was decent. I averaged 26 MPG, which included about 260 highway miles at 85 with an instance of showing a riced out CRX with "V8BEATER" license plate, that he indeed didn't have :censored::censored::censored::censored:, as well as city driving, and cruising in the 28th st Metrodream Cruise last weekend. To top it all off, my secondaries were stuck open because of my IMRC. And this is a 3L, not a 4 banger. Given all of those factors, I'm happy with 26.

All i'm saying is the OP could not have gotten that much mileage unless there was already 100+ miles on the trip when he started.

I'd make a very large bet that I can hit well over 550 miles on a tank as well. I'd almost bet that I can hit 600. I've had ALOT of tanks in even different SVT's that I have got over 500 miles out of. I hit 526.8 or whatever it was fairly easily too. This is all on stock wheels and tires obviously. My tires were low and air, the bad wheel bearing (really bad!) and a few other issues. You figure out a way to prove the truth of my mileage such as riding along with me for 18hours straight and I'll make a VERY large bet. Although I hope you don't weigh too much. :D

If you hit 550 I will have to
bowdown.gif
to you. The best I have been able to do was about 435, with a max rpm of 3000 and usually changing gears at about 2250 - 2500.

I'd make a very large bet that I can hit well over 550 miles on a tank as well. I'd almost bet that I can hit 600. I've had ALOT of tanks in even different SVT's that I have got over 500 miles out of. I hit 526.8 or whatever it was fairly easily too. This is all on stock wheels and tires obviously. My tires were low and air, the bad wheel bearing (really bad!) and a few other issues. You figure out a way to prove the truth of my mileage such as riding along with me for 18hours straight and I'll make a VERY large bet. Although I hope you don't weigh too much. :D

Sorry man I'm calling BS. If this was possible I know there would be more then a couple members here, or FCO or any other forums that have svt contour owners talking about mods and gas mileage. 35mpg+ is just not in the cards for an svt v6.

I get about 250 to my tank, 200 when pulling my trailer... So if anyone is getting 500... Is that by plugging 3 injectors, or by putting an extra fuel cell in the trunk????:shrug:

It's all straight up guys. I'm not the only one to be in the 500's as many times as I have. It takes alot of patience to do it, but you run your entire tank out at 40mph without EVER dipping into the throttle more than 25%. Even when starting from a stop, you should never dip into the throttle all the way even if shifting at 2,000rpms as it throws the PCM in open loop and runs straight off maps instead of listening to the feedback from the o2's/TP/maf count, etc... You run alot richer and it really makes a HUGE difference. Trust me, I've watched my wideband many times. Low RPM's are 100% of it. And you guys really need to run your tanks out more! It is a 15 gallon tank and maybe a little more if you top it off. I always think I'm "just about out" when I end up having another gallon or two! In all 15 or more of the SVT's I've owned, the gas light comes on at around 12.4 gallons and by the time you drive to a gas station you fill up around 12.5 - 13 gallons. I've been around many of these cars and I KNOW 500 plus if possible in any duratech if you drive properly and don't have any Check engine lights throwing the PCM in limp mode, bad wheel bearings, stuck calipers, etc...

I'll prove it to any of you doubters. Bring me your car completely full of gas with a locking gas cap and the trip odometer reset. I'll even give you $100 for the gas/miles put on your rides! Done deal, solid proof. :D

Keep that up for another 2 tanks to get a good average and you'll really have something.

I am at 280 miles again at about 1/2 a tank... I had a golden opportunity, like 140 highway miles, but I only got half in (the trip back) at a steady speed (65 MPH)... I followed my friend up to Old Orchard Beach, and he goes from 65 to 70 to 55 to 60 to 50 to 70, you get the idea :crazy:

I had enough of that though and could just cruise on the way back since I knew the exits and stuff at that point :cool:

I will not even get to 400 miles on this tank though because I will be filling up Monday morning to start the once a week fill-up trend which I go through while I am attending college...

I've been trying this Reebs but ever since you sold me that Borla exhaust it's hard not to let it rip every once in awhile...I've been right around 450 miles though, not too bad.

35mpg+ is just not in the cards for an svt v6.
I've returned just shy of 33mpg in mine not even trying for economy a few months ago, driving somewhat sedately through winding mountains and on the highway. If I were to mostly maintain a smooth 45-50mph for a tank I have no doubt I could break 35. It's very well within the realm of possibility for some SVTs. I often go over 400mi between fillups, and not driving with a particularly light foot. Certainly none of this <3000 BS. :crazy: I guess some of us just scored factory "eco" monsters. 131K and counting on her FWIW, original drivetrain including clutch *knocks on wood.*

I've returned just shy of 33mpg in mine not even trying for economy a few months ago, driving somewhat sedately through winding mountains and on the highway. If I were to mostly maintain a smooth 45-50mph for a tank I have no doubt I could break 35. It's very well within the realm of possibility for some SVTs. I often go over 400mi between fillups, and not driving with a particularly light foot. Certainly none of this <3000 BS. :crazy: I guess some of us just scored factory "eco" monsters. 131K and counting on her FWIW, original drivetrain including clutch *knocks on wood.*

Hate to say it man but 33mpg is a far cry from the 35-38 the OP is claiming. I'm not going to continue this but something does not add up. There is not a contour svt getting that kind of gas mileage. Factory eco monsters I can understand, much like factory freaks that put down high power nearly stock. But I am just telling you that if there was any chance a contour svt got that kind of mpg we would have heard about it by now with atleast what, 9 years of the forum here?

I've been trying this Reebs but ever since you sold me that Borla exhaust it's hard not to let it rip every once in awhile...I've been right around 450 miles though, not too bad.

How many gallons did you fill up at? 12.5? 13? 14?

If I were to mostly maintain a smooth 45-50mph for a tank I have no doubt I could break 35. It's very well within the realm of possibility for some SVTs.

Very well within the realm for sure!

Hate to say it man but 33mpg is a far cry from the 35-38 the OP is claiming. I'm not going to continue this but something does not add up. There is not a contour svt getting that kind of gas mileage. Factory eco monsters I can understand, much like factory freaks that put down high power nearly stock. But I am just telling you that if there was any chance a contour svt got that kind of mpg we would have heard about it by now with atleast what, 9 years of the forum here?

I haven't claimed accomplishing 38mpg even though I may have said it is possible. I believe 40mpg is possible if you cruise at 35mph for an entire tank with minimal stops. The best I reported is between 36-37mpg. I've been playing with seeing what kind of MPG's I can get in many different cars over the years and let me say that you would be amazed what economical driving styles can net you. I don't mind if you want to continue believing that it is impossible, but I'd be more than happy to prove it to you anyway I can. Personally, I'd like to see you be able hit 36mpg plus too. It is tricky to do though and it takes alot of talent.

...okay, maybe just alot of patience and a little skill to time all the lights in the city. :)

I haven't claimed accomplishing 38mpg even though I may have said it is possible. I believe 40mpg is possible if you cruise at 35mph for an entire tank with minimal stops. The best I reported is between 36-37mpg. I've been playing with seeing what kind of MPG's I can get in many different cars over the years and let me say that you would be amazed what economical driving styles can net you. I don't mind if you want to continue believing that it is impossible, but I'd be more than happy to prove it to you anyway I can. Personally, I'd like to see you be able hit 36mpg plus too. It is tricky to do though and it takes alot of talent.

...okay, maybe just alot of patience and a little skill to time all the lights in the city. :)
OK, but who realistically can drive like that on a normal weekly commute :shrug:. 99% impractical, boring, unsafe---its what makes this whole debate foolish.
And I'm not sure I'd call that talent.
-J

OK, but who realistically can drive like that on a normal weekly commute :shrug:. 99% impractical, boring, unsafe---its what makes this whole debate foolish.
And I'm not sure I'd call that talent.
-J

How is driving economically impractical or unsafe? Boring I understand unless you enjoy the thrill of the challenge but I disagree with the other 2.

How is driving economically impractical or unsafe? Boring I understand unless you enjoy the thrill of the challenge but I disagree with the other 2.

doing 45 or less on a highway where everyone else is going 70+ I sure wouldn't call safe. that is why I am sticking strickly to the speed limit.

and I don't know what it is but the second quart tank on my car hasn't been good twice now, first quarter yes, but maybe that can be attributed to the guage not reading as high as it should for a full tank because its maxed out of something. I always fill the car the same way ...

oh yeah, correct spark plug gap looks like it will make some difference also :eek:

because doing 45-50 in a 70 zone is likely to get you run over in most places. also, some places that will get you a ticket for hindering the flow of traffic or some such nonsense.

edit: dang it BrApple, you beat me to it.

Back