• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

So my oil pressure fitting is leaking again where the hose meets the fitting on the block. I don't know why it can get through there but it must be too much pressure for a rubber hose and clamp. I will probably have to switch to a hardline or a SS braided hose with pressed ends or something. About a quarters size blotch under the car for 5-10 minutes of idling.... damn it.

On our supercharger kits the rubber feed lines always seem to leak a tiny bit. I switched to a stainless line and recommend a stainless line as an upgrade to anyone.

If I would have known that the rubber tube & clamp method wasn't going to hold up, I would have took more time and did a harline of some sort :blackeye:. I just want to drive the damn car :mad:

Like I've posted? :D
standard.jpg

Your thread was a much better read than my course books could offer. Right now I'm on the fence about keeping my '95 SE and doing a 3L swap or parting out & junking the car. :crazy:

Your build looks great so far, brilliant color scheme too!

I pulled that whole mother:censored:in oil pressure line :censored: out of that :censored:er and put the freeze plug back in the block. This is bull :censored: that no one has a high:censored:ing pressure hose with two 1/8 NPT ends pressed on. :censored: that gauge, I don't give a :censored: anymore. I have taken the AC compressor out 4 times to fix bull :censored:........

Now your talking like a true Contour owner :laugh:

^ I feel like a true contour owner now. That was pissing me off so much that I threw my POS lufkin jack, bashed my tire iron into the deck railing, and taught my brother (slvrsvt) to do burnouts in it after I got it all back together.
I drove the hell out of it yesterday and it felt good. I am mad that I don't have the oil pressure guage hooked up again but I don't have to worry about it leaking and can just drive the car. I might tap into the head and get that worthless reading there so the gauge does something again. The worst part about tapping behind the ac compressor is, if you have a leak there or have to change the hose, you have to:
-jack the car up
-remove the passenger front wheel
-un tension the serpantine belt
-un clip the ac compressor wire
-remove the 10mm bolt holding the ac line to the compressor
-undo/remove the three 10mm bolts holding the ac compressor to the block
-fix the bull :censored::censored::censored::censored:
-and reverse the entire process just to start the car again to see if everything is tight and not leaking.

What a pain.

^ I feel like a true contour owner now. That was pissing me off so much that I threw my POS lufkin jack, bashed my tire iron into the deck railing, and taught my brother (slvrsvt) to do burnouts in it after I got it all back together.
I drove the hell out of it yesterday and it felt good. I am mad that I don't have the oil pressure guage hooked up again but I don't have to worry about it leaking and can just drive the car. I might tap into the head and get that worthless reading there so the gauge does something again. The worst part about tapping behind the ac compressor is, if you have a leak there or have to change the hose, you have to:
-jack the car up
-remove the passenger front wheel
-un tension the serpantine belt
-un clip the ac compressor wire
-remove the 10mm bolt holding the ac line to the compressor
-undo/remove the three 10mm bolts holding the ac compressor to the block
-fix the bull :censored::censored::censored::censored:
-and reverse the entire process just to start the car again to see if everything is tight and not leaking.

What a pain.

Joe, just do a filter relocation. There easy to do. Use a 4 port filter adapter and use one of the ports for oil pressure. I highly recommend it. It also helps in changing the filter, and you can run a slightly larger unit as well.

I should just do the re-locate.... what kit do you have and where did you get it?

I have heard anything from $75-$150 depending on what type of hoses and fittings you go with......

I have a mix of a couple brands. Perma cool comes to mind. Just look for a Ford Spin-on adaptor, I beleive it 3/4-10 thread, than any filter mount you want. Preferable one that fits Fords larger filter (Fl1a). Dont even bother with rubber hose and brass parker fittings, they wont last too long, or they weap. Get good fittings and hose (Earls, Aeroquip etc..$$$), youll need four 1/2" npt to -10an fittings, than two straight -10 hose ends, and two 90 degree -10 hose ends. You can also use 45's. Fittings will cost a lot. Push on hose is way easier to work with, or you can go with braided hose. Cheaper fittings, but the hose cost more. Just use a good brand and you will be fine. Also a good time to plumb in a air/air oil cooler if wanted with thermostat. Get pipe tape or puddy for the NPT side of the thread only and use some lube when assembling the hose ends. You will need some good hose cutters to cut the push on hose, or a cut off wheel and tape for the braided hose ends so they doen fray. It will cost some money, but it will last and not leak if done right.

Back