• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Because 8 cylinders just aren't enough

looks like a fun project! please don't make it sound like a truck like my neighbors Viper!

i think he was speaking of the metallic flake on the different panels not looking right because the hood was not painted in the orientation that it would sit on the car.

looks like a fun project! please don't make it sound like a truck like my neighbors Viper!

i think he was speaking of the metallic flake on the different panels not looking right because the hood was not painted in the orientation that it would sit on the car.

Never heard of this happening. The metal flakes are tiny, just like in the steel blue metallic of my tour. We have painted some pieces on the tour the same way and never had any problems. Thanks for the compliments everyone! I cannot wait till this thing is done! If we could work throughout the winter, it would be done for SZ and itd only be a 45min drive, but being driveable by the end of May probably won't happen.

i don't have any experience with painting metallic colors but that is what i have heard that the flake does not "match" unless it was painted as it was orientated on the car. My mom's 07 Taurus (prior salvage) had one fender painted upside down (can see a run on the edge) and it matches just fine?

Ok the final paint is mostly done, All thats really left is the trunk and front fenders. These pics are from about 3 weeks ago, so the rest is all done by now. The shop that did the narrowing of the rear end goofed and made it 2 inches too short on 1 side so my dad has to rip it out and get that taken care of. The rear end is out of a 3500 ram van, I dont know how my 63 year old dad can manage that by himself, I sure couldnt. The sun kept hiding behind clouds when these were taken, but you get the idea.

i don't have any experience with painting metallic colors but that is what i have heard that the flake does not "match" unless it was painted as it was orientated on the car.

I guess the blue is just a pearl and looks like a metallic up close. All panels match :cool:

Are you blind?

Nah, I've got glasses and I saw the Viper logo stamped onto the trans casing just fine, couldn't find any wheels that were going on it....yet:shrug:

Just my .02 worth, I'd paint the intake and valve covers that color too:cool:

couldn't find any wheels that were going on it....yet:shrug:

Just my .02 worth, I'd paint the intake and valve covers that color too:cool:

No wheel info yet because we are still deciding. Thats one of the last things we will be dealing with. The intakes and valve covers will remain red because the engine way will be painted providing a nice contrast directing your attention to that beautiful V-10. The name of the project is red, white and blue also.

Nice work so far. The color is awesome. Personally, I would have kept the car Pink. Like FIND said, it would have been cool to go and spank some musclecars in a pink car, and ruin their confidence... lol

The original color was a 2 tone gray. The pink picture was an example of all of the trim and general factory appearance.

Most of the props go to my dad. The guy is in his early 60s and is busting his ass so much on this car. I work on it when I can when I'm home from college but thats not very often. I came home again this weekend and saw the fenders under final paint. No pics but wow they are beautiful, I was staring at them and rubbing them for like 10mins lol. When the light hits that blue just right and makes it look like a metallic its just :drool::drool::drool:

My family had a 56 Fireflight when we lived in Ohio and on Long Island, had a 383 hemi 4bbl with oil bath air cleaner, 2 speed auto trans and pushbutton shift. I was sort of young to remember many of the details, my older brother remembers the car much better than I. I do recall it was Black and White. The Ohio winters weren't kind to it, and it was rather rusty when Dad gave it away about 1967, so I would have been about 8 years old. My older brother wanted it quite badly, but Dad wouldn't let him have it, as he was ONLY 18 at the time. It got totaled shortly thereafter, I think it might have been rolled.

Neat project, I like it! Will be checking back now and then.

No picture updates as of now. We are looking for wheels and interior parts right now. We got the steering column from I Did It, back in the fall. I have been running to junkyards to look at different types of bucket seats. The wheels kind of worry me. My dad has notoriously poor taste when it comes to wheels and our selections are very limited due to the 6 bolt dakota hubs up front and 5 bolt general ford pattern on the rear. He claims the hubs up front can't be switched so we are basically limited to truck wheels. I am trying to get him to let me install an aftermarket sound system in it but he hasn't given me the full ok to do it.

About a month ago I finally updated the Cardomain page, last time it had been updated was when I created it in Nov 09 lol.

My dad has been telling everyone he comes in contact with to check out the page and the hit counter is really blowing up now.

We are trying to submit the build to Stacey David's Gearz program.

Back