• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Because 8 cylinders just aren't enough

Update on progress

Update on progress

So we finally got the car back from the machine shop. Motor and tranny mounts are made. We are sourcing replacement front end parts to fit the Dakota front end. The rear end is still waiting on axles, bearings and spring perches so it still isn't in. Its kind of hard to tell in the pics, but the engine was just about meant to fit in there. We didn't have to cut the firewall, but we did cut the tranny tunnel to make a removeable panel. The oil filter is perfect, right in front of the frame support. We will need to bend pipe from the water pump to give clearance for the fans and radiator. The entire inside and underside of the car has been shot with a truck bedliner for sound and durability. I was playing around with the T56 tranny and it only weighs about 75-80lbs, I was expecting it to be way more. On to the pics!

We had a hoop and extra frame bracing added when the Dodge Dakota subframe was fabricated to the front end. Tranny mount is very simple.
090803122714.jpg

1000418i.jpg

1000419l.jpg

1000421w.jpg

1000424a.jpg

1000426f.jpg

1000428v.jpg

Just a reminder, the car in stock trim looks like this:

cns-0811reflect.jpg

The project has been officially dubbed project red white and blue. You can see where the red is, the roof and side strip will be pearl white and the rest of the body will be a bright large metal flake blue similar to the laguna seca blue on my dads motorcycle, theres a pic of it on page 1 I think.

The project has been officially dubbed project red white and blue. You can see where the red is, the roof and side strip will be pearl white and the rest of the body will be a bright large metal flake blue similar to the laguna seca blue on my dads motorcycle, theres a pic of it on page 1 I think.

oh woops, i saw the pic but skipped that post. gonna be sweet! sorry if i missed this, but are you going for entiring stock appearance or more of a "hot rod" look?

The chrome trim will be stock and we are keeping the stock 2 tone paint theme but it will have big rims and big meaty tires. The interior will be mostly custom.

"Ugly" is absolutely the wrong word for this porject, in my opinion. The DeSotos from that era are some of the most beautiful cars in American history, and I can't wait to see the car finished.:cool:

We are finishing up body work and beginning to start the paint process. We decided to shoot it at home and have a pro do the buffing and sanding. The official colors are Viper Blue (08-10 models) and White Diamond Pearl (latest body style CTS color). PPG wanted $800 a gallon :shocked: so we went with Dupont at $350/gal. Here's a quick teaser of the hood. Somehow we didnt get a shot of the white, so I have to uncover everything and snap a pic. My dad is thinking this will be running by the same time next year, I think its a little optimistic. We still have to plan/run brakes, steering and fuel. The Viper manual says you have to run a minimum of 3/8"id fuel line which is freakin huge. My dad also confirmed there will be electronic cut outs in the exhaust. Wheels will be chrome with a deep dish style lip.

edit- also forgot to mention the brakes are from a Durango, which seem a little on the small side to me, but my dad says they'll be ok, we'll see :shrug:.

Yep, front and back. 0 runs. 3 coats of base and 3 of clear. My dad is pretty good with the paint gun.

The blue is a metallic pearl, the white is a pearl and yes they look drop dead sexy and its not even together yet.

Back