• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Basics for Beginners - 3l hybrid swap

posthuman63t

Veteran CEG'er
Part list for 3L Hybrid (3L bottom end and heads, 2.5L timing components, cams, intakes, etc.) (2.5L suggests SVT Parts)

-Since I see posts here and there of people asking what parts they need for what swaps, I decided to post this up regarding the above engine ONLY. I have not done nor investigated the other 2 options (Full 3L, 3L hybrid w/ 3L bottom end, 2.5L heads, cams, etc.) I have completed the above swap and have over 10,000 miles on the engine, so that will justify my parts list. If something is optional, it will be noted. This list is for a complete teardown (minus heads) and rebuild. It will also include extra notes on what needs to be done to complete this swap. I suggest changing out all gaskets and seals while your in there. A few extra dollars now, is better than hundreds later.

Gaskets/Seals:

3L Oil Pan Gasket
2.5L Front Engine Cover Gasket (aka Timing Cover)
-The above will include all 3 gaskets (Left, Right, and Center)
3L Head Gaskets (x2)
2.5L Valve Cover Gaskets
-The above will include both valve cover gaskets with spark plug gaskets
2.5LnCamshaft Gasket
-The above is for the Water Pump driven Cam. It includes 2 gaskets
2.5L Lower Intake Gaskets
2.5L Upper Intake Gaskets
2.5L Throttle Body Gasket (optional – replace if you remove from intake)
2.5L EGR Gasket (optional – replace if you remove)

Bearings/Bolts:
3L Clevite Rod Bearings (x6) (Replace regardless. Make sure you get the right size)
3L Clevite Main Bearings (Optional – Check for scoring or damage)
3L Rod Bolts (These are TTY “Torque To Yield” and can be only used once)
3L Head Bolts (These are TTY, and can only be used once)(Reusable studs available also)

Now, I suggest anyone attempting the swap with little mechanical experience, buys the ford cd from todras or whomever else offers it to you. This cd gives you step by step instructions, with what to do first, where to apply sealants, and most importantly, TORQUE Specs.

Alternator Cut Points:
There are 2 tabs that need to be cut of to allow use of the 2.5 alternator/bracket. When you get to this point, LINE IT UP and you will see what needs to be cut. It’s as plain as day.

Other Cut Points:
The Pilot Bushing on the crank needs to be cut to allow clearance. Also, SOME people may need to cut a tab on the block to allow the SVT Oil cooler to be attatched. On my engine, I didn't need to and managed to route the lines with no crimping. Yours may differ.

Head Intake Ports:
The 2.5L Lower Intake Ports do not line up with the 3L head intake ports. We can not do anything about the intake ports on the intake, but we can modify the 3L head. The easiest way to do this is bring the heads to a shop with the 2.5L lower intake gaskets for sizing up the holes. Porting is not an amateur move, and its not as simple as just cutting the holes to match. The injector positioning changes from the middle of the port to left of center of the port. You have the choice to use a jb weld product (which I am against), welding, or buying a plate sold here on CEG to cover the old injector spot. There are dozens of pictures floating around if you don’t know what I’m talking about.

Oil Pan:
The 2.5L oil pan lacks baffles that the newest version has. Its an optional upgrade but well worth the money. Newer style oil pans have an integrated gasket (you won't need to purchase the gasket). Make sure your pick-up will work with the oil pan you choose. Since the trays are different, the pick-up location may need to be moved.

Camshafts:
There is a lot of argument about which cams are the best to use. In my opinion the difference between the 3L cams and 2.5 svt cams is the 3L cams offer higher torque down low. The 2.5 svt cams offer more power up top and keep pulling up top. Do some research and come up with your own opinion.

Timing gear:
Note that whichever set of cams you use, you MUST USE THE TIMING COMPONENTS THAT GO WITH THEM! This includes the cams, the chains, and the sprockets (x2) that go onto the crank. The Pulse wheel must also be set for the 2.5. There are 2 keyways on it to choose, 2.5, and 3.0.

Now what parts do you use off what engine?
3L parts:
-Block
-Heads
-Pistons
-Rods
-Crankshaft

2.5L Parts
-Camshafts
-Upper and Lower Intakes
-Throttle Body
-MAF
-Wiring harness and sensors
-Motor Mount (located between the heads)

Now I’m sure I missed a bunch of stuff, but for the basics, this will get you started. Remember this is for the the swap mentioned above. I hope it helps collect a little information for those unwilling to search like most of us had to.

Last edited:
first lets use the term ported 3L to help differenciate the different builds. A hybrid 3L would be a 3L bottom end and 2.5 heads ...

if you get the upgrade oil pan it will have an intergrated gasket so you don't need to get one.

as for porting the heads, get the intake plates and they will be your guide for openning up the 3L heads. the plates cover over the center injector valley and when sealed work very well. they have been used in boost applications.

on the timing components make sure everything related to the timing is form the same engine, chains, tensioners, guides etc. Also the pulse wheel needs to be set to the 2.5 position.

also if you have a low milage engine I don't see the need to change the bearings. also you can't just swap the bearings either. Everything should be measured and machined as needed.

also what I didn't see was mention to needing to remove the pilot bushing from the crank and the tab on the side of the block where the SVT oil cooler is located.

Thank you brapple, all good points. I knew i missed some stuff. Anyone else, please feel free to add anything missed. (And I consider them both hybrid, cause, well, they both are. But I agree Ported 3L is better put)

also if you do take the heads off you need new head bolts also ... they are tty ...

you also need to keep the 2.5 motor mount to put on the 3L block

also did you change the oil pickup as talked about in other parts lists?

Last edited:
Mentioned the head bolts.

Another good point though, the pick-up. Make sure you get a pickup that will mate with the oil pan you use. The tray in the pan doesn't allow for any pick-up to go with any tray.

don't forget to reposition the pulse wheel to the 25 keyslot instead of the 30 one. The #'s are stamped on the front of the pulsewheel that goes on underneath the timing cover.

Might I suggest that once this thread comes to an agreement, that a new post be started with ALL of the agreed upon parts, and stickied in this 3L forum? This is a nice thread, but a lot of sifting will have to be done. Just an idea. :cool: Awesome post, though!

Mark

Might I suggest that once this thread comes to an agreement, that a new post be started with ALL of the agreed upon parts, and stickied in this 3L forum? This is a nice thread, but a lot of sifting will have to be done. Just an idea. :cool: Awesome post, though!

Mark

good idea, if the OP doesn't want to do that I will

The updated Escape pickup? :)

From when I bought mine I just made sure the Pickup and Pan were for the same year 3.0 in this case the later model Escape.

Here's some oil pickup info/pics from when I did my last swap http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=15553

well the info out there I read said the windage tray and oil pick up needed to be changed to work with the escape/2.5 oil pan but I iirc that was for older 3L's. What about the 04/05's? Also the 04s already have the correct windage tray but I am not sure on the oil pickup

What would be nice, is if all the definate information for this swap was posted in here. The Facts, not the opinions or arguements. And hopefully, people who have done the other waps can write something up thats similar. That way we can have 3 stickies that have all the information together. Yes, the information for the swaps is out there, but it helps to have it all collected and it will cut down on all the questions that get asked over and over.

Info Updated above. As soon as we get everything sorted and complete, a new post to be stickied can be made.

On the windage tray and pickup tube. I used the 3L tray and the CSVT pickup. You have to switch a couple bolts over and make a cutout in the 3L tray, but it saves some money and extra parts.

On the windage tray and pickup tube. I used the 3L tray and the CSVT pickup. You have to switch a couple bolts over and make a cutout in the 3L tray, but it saves some money and extra parts.

so using a 04 taurus/sable engine all you would need to do is upgrade the oil pickup to match the updated escape oi pan right?

ok, I asked Bill Jenkins which oil pick I would need on a 04 Sable 3L with the updated escape pan and he gave me this part number

Pickup tube, 4L8Z-6622-A List $38.43 Inet $28.62

Wiring? Sensors?

Wiring? Sensors?

So all the wiring is straight forward? No modifications needed to be done to any of the wiring harness or sensors? Sounds too good to be true. And please excuse my newbieness to the 3L...

So all the wiring is straight forward? No modifications needed to be done to any of the wiring harness or sensors? Sounds too good to be true. And please excuse my newbieness to the 3L...

if you complete the above swap there are two things you will need to modify in the wiring ... the oil presusre sensor and the knock sensor.

The newer oil sensor uses a different connector. they are both one wire so save the 3L harness plug and splice with 3L oil pressure sender. You could swap the sensor but it creates a chance for an oil leak.

Next the knock sensors have different size bolt holes on the block. So the easiest thing is to again splice the 3L knock sensor into the stock wiring harness.

other then those two items with a ported 3L everything goes back in as if it was stock.

Back