• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New part number for oil pickup?

Redlineracer12

Addicted CEG'er
Rather than cluttering up the 3L part number FAQ i figured I'd post this up in here and we can try to figure it out to update the number in the FAQ.

FAQ: 3L Part Numbers said:
YL8Z-6622-BA 01+ Upgraded Oil Pickup (req 01+ main studs)

Now I think last time I did my 3L build this part number worked out for me. The pickup I had has written on it: YL8E-BA Now I was looking for basically the exact same thing.

Pictures of old one:
OilPumpPickup003.jpg

OilPumpPickup001.jpg

It has the bracket that requires the 01+ main studs and that's what I am looking for. It's an escape part. I ordered this up last week but when I got it my new pickup is part number: 4L8Z-6622-BA and I'm told the first number is only the year reference. So Steve at Tousley told me this is the direct replacement part for the part number mentioned above, no changes (noted by Ford that is).

The only thing is, this part no longer has that bracket to support it. It's also just a plain silver color rather than the brownish tint my last one had. However after test fitting it, it seems to fit just fine just doesn't have the extra support.

Picture of new one next to old one:
OilPumpPickup002.jpg

I was thinking about having my old one flushed out and re-using that one, but I'll just use the new one. Either way this part number has to be changed in the FAQs.

On a side note, I also noticed the stinking Escape pan with the integrated has AGAIN been updated. Now they're onto yet another design that has three holes in it where the bolts can go through to the transmission. Must mean it works on a wider variety of year Escapes.

Last edited:
Yes, they recently deleted the support arm from the pickup tube. The 4L8Z service part number replaces the YL8Z part number.

That makes things a bit easier for those swapping over to 2.5L pans and pickups if they pick up this tube. Normally you would have to swap in a stud from the 2.5L to bolt the bracket to on the 3L and you also needed to cut the bracket slightly to fit around another stud.

That makes things a bit easier for those swapping over to 2.5L pans and pickups if they pick up this tube. Normally you would have to swap in a stud from the 2.5L to bolt the bracket to on the 3L and you also needed to cut the bracket slightly to fit around another stud.
But I would still recommend using the newer YL8E windage tray anyway to reduce aeration.

Back