• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another Spec Stage 3+ failure

wow. am i like the only one using a spec 3+ for almost 3yrs without an issue? or is it hit n miss with spec?

Blackcoog and I also have the Spec 3+, but we never drive our cars :laugh:

Mine is noisy and iffy at best. I will be replacing it whenever I get around to it (might be this winter at this rate) with a Clutchnet Red Pressure plate and a Clutchnet Green (or even Stock SVT) disk.

wow. am i like the only one using a spec 3+ for almost 3yrs without an issue? or is it hit n miss with spec?

well I think the story is that a long time ago they were a decent product, but that over time they cut more and more corners over time, until the product was junk. you might just have an old one. I'd recommend Clutchnet or F1 Racing for the next one...

Blackcoog and I also have the Spec 3+, but we never drive our cars :laugh:

Mine is noisy and iffy at best. I will be replacing it whenever I get around to it (might be this winter at this rate) with a Clutchnet Red Pressure plate and a Clutchnet Green (or even Stock SVT) disk.

I'm running the clutchnet red pressure plate and green disk and havn't had any issues with it. I do have some clutch chatter but it feels smooth and bites good when i want. I have about 7k on it so far.

I'm running the clutchnet red pressure plate and green disk and havn't had any issues with it. I do have some clutch chatter but it feels smooth and bites good when i want. I have about 7k on it so far.

which green disk? they have yellow/green/red for several disk material options...

its the full face organic disc that was marked as yellow on their little red light chart. I have the sprung hub as well. Even though it seems to operate fine on the 3L I might replace it with a fiber carbon disc the next time. I tried launching a couple times from 4k and I could smell some clutch, but the release felt fine.

its the full face organic disc that was marked as yellow on their little red light chart. I have the sprung hub as well. Even though it seems to operate fine on the 3L I might replace it with a fiber carbon disc the next time. I tried launching a couple times from 4k and I could smell some clutch, but the release felt fine.

yeah, if your dumping the clutch at 4k RPM's you should probably be running something a little more durable than an organic disk. I did stuff like that with my ranger all the time back in the day and I went through something like 3 organic clutches a year. I'm a lot more conservative with my driving now, the contour is too fragile and not nearly as easy to work on.

how far is Aiken from charlotte?

I can reach charlotte in about 2-2.5 hours depending on traffic. I usually dont abuse the clutch but i was curious to see how it would act.

By green disk you mean the Green organic one on the stoplight rating system? Or is it yellow like you mentioned in a different post? Hmmm, if you can slip that one maybe I should opt for the 6 puck or "fiber carbon" disk and deal with the chatter/harsh engagement...

yeah i meant the organic full face with the yellow light rating. If your going to drive hard a lot i would probably go with the fiber carbon, especially if you have a 3L. Mine is mainly a DD so I don't abuse the clutch often. When I launched I didn't side step the clutch I just feathered it some. I did try a quick release around 3k rpm, and it grabbed fine, just broke tires loose without clutch smell.

you do have an LSD right? I wouldn't be doing any of the things your describing to a stock diff. you wouldn't be interested in a N/S Carolina meet would you? I know a few others on here have shown interest... PM me

I just got my Spec 3+ garbage out of my transmission this weekend. It had been vibrating for almost a year before it literary flew apart and make the car un-runnable. I didn't even get the transmission fully off the car before springs and parts fell out of the bellhousing. I had to pry out in-bedded metal out of my bellhousing before I could replace the $180 TOB the clutch destroyed on it's way out.

I'll take some pictures tonight, but 5 out of the 6 rivets ripped out, all but 3 of the internal springs were gone and couple of the main springs were gone, one horribly wedged between the spring hub and the friction material. The pressure plate looked fine - another trophy on the wall.

I've got about 50 miles on my new stage 3 from Clutchnet - going from a 3+ to a 3 I expected it to be worse, but the engagement is easily done in rush hour, I can smoothly take off in rush hour traffic. Zero noise and better clutch pedal feel - I'm literally itching to drive my car again... almost a month of driving a 4.0 anything but grand cherokee and a corolla... ick.

During the install I replaced the factory flex pipe and cat with some tru-bendz equipment, gained some very awesome tone and a lot of seat-o-pants horsepowers.

you do have an LSD right? I wouldn't be doing any of the things your describing to a stock diff. you wouldn't be interested in a N/S Carolina meet would you? I know a few others on here have shown interest... PM me

yeah i had a quaiffe installed as well as stage 2 axles, but i dont plan on abusing too much.

Ya I bet mine looks like that too. Were you doing clutch drops or anything with it or just highway?

I did all sorts of clutch drops - lots of burnouts through first and into second at WOT. Downshifting into 2nd and catching rubber - nothing I did should have killed a clutch rated at well over 2x the power my car makes with street rubber. I'm going to be a little easier on this setup - but I'm looking at tuning the car, and if that happens, all bets are off.

iirc it was rated to hold alot more torque then my car was making. I never did clutch drops or burnouts or hard launches. it should have held ....

Back