• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 Contour SVT with 3.0L Swap Questions...

Where u located? U obviously dont wanna take on something overwhelming and risky like this by your self maybe a fellow CEG'r will come help u for gas money if ur in Florida I would come tomorrow since I'm off and can just take my bike but I doubt u are ..

sorry, i replied to your message but i dont think it worked for some reason, im located in WA, so do agree that i either need to swap the LIM or take all the parts for the secondaries off the one in the trunk and put it on the one on the actual car?

Bro wait on that answer, tomorrow I will go out and see what it takes to remove the hard wear from the lim then I'll let u know as for ur location where in wash I was stationed on whidbey island and my brother still has my old tour who lives in oak harbor u and him might be able to hook up he's almost as mechanically handy as I am

Bro wait on that answer, tomorrow I will go out and see what it takes to remove the hard wear from the lim then I'll let u know as for ur location where in wash I was stationed on whidbey island and my brother still has my old tour who lives in oak harbor u and him might be able to hook up he's almost as mechanically handy as I am

well, right now im out in the boonies near Enumclaw, but relocating to Renton here pretty soon, and i have a shop in Renton where i will be doing the work

is it bad to be driving it around with it how it is you think? its my DD so i need it to go to work and whatnot.

You should be ok your most likely wide open like me with a full 3L untuned just fix it as soon as the opportunity arrives.

You should be ok your most likely wide open like me with a full 3L untuned just fix it as soon as the opportunity arrives.

ok cool, go to bed bro, thanks for all the help. youll have to hook me up with your brother one of these days if you could, if he wouldnt mind driving down to renton that is.

Looks like u've gotten a lotta help. But lemmy add a couple of things;
1) If u've got a ported 3L, which it looks like u do, U might not have an SVT LIM anymore. Npg(Nautilus Performance Group) made a LIM that replaces our stock ones. What it does is enable u to use the SVT UIM with 3L heads. And that LIM renders the IMRC useless. That might be what's installed in ur car. Not sure tho as i cant see very well from the picture.
2) If i'm not mistaken, ur car does have that piece with the spring(the one posted earlier with the word 'cable' on it). It's dark but i think thats it.

That car won't have the NPG adapter on it considering it is Bugzukis car.

It's possible he gutted the lower intake, i think you should contact him, or take off your upper intake.

That car won't have the NPG adapter on it considering it is Bugzukis car.

It's possible he gutted the lower intake, i think you should contact him, or take off your upper intake.

Same thing I said take off your upper with help from a knowledgeable mechanic. now that u know what mine and your spair looks like u know what to look for. if yours is gutted then replace it wit ur spair if not fix it or replace it anyway.....

ok well i will probably still have to wait till this weekend for that, im not mechanically inclined enough to take that on myself just yet, so i gotta have my mechanic buddy help me, there doesnt need to be any valve adjusting or anything after taking the UIM or LIM off correct?

Don't adjust anything, just remove and replace ! Be careful and stuff your intake with rags so nothing drops into the motor!

Don't adjust anything, just remove and replace ! Be careful and stuff your intake with rags so nothing drops into the motor!

Ok thanks again for all your help! I will take this job on this weekend with my mechanic friend and will let you all know how it goes!

oh and one more question, should the LIM i have in the trunk work regardless with however the motor is setup? (by that i mean the block/head combo)

and why would you want a LIM on it that makes it have no low end power?

...oh and one more question, should the LIM i have in the trunk work regardless with however the motor is setup? (by that i mean the block/head combo)

No. Stock contour LIMs wont fit on a 3l head, unless the heads are ported. Because the former owner of the car is the same person who makes the porting plates, its wise to assume thats what u've got. But until we know fore sure whats under there, we're 'throwing darts in the dark'.

No. Stock contour LIMs wont fit on a 3l head, unless the heads are ported. Because the former owner of the car is the same person who makes the porting plates, its wise to assume thats what u've got. But until we know fore sure whats under there, we're 'throwing darts in the dark'.

I completely agree should you have to remove the upper and lower take lots of pics, the heads, maybe plates if they are there (I assume there are adapter plates) and pics of the lower intake manifold itself. I'm thinking it's prolly gutted but who knows... Anyway you got my number call any time today I'm working on my car all day and my sisters Acura as well I should be available if needed...

ok so what i am getting from all this, is that chances are the porting plates are already there because hes the one who makes them, and if they are, the stock LIM will bolt right up correct? i sent Bugzuki a message asking for some details about the motor, but he probably doesnt get on here much so im not expecting a reply. so i will take off the upper and lower and take lots of pics and upload.

Paul got back to me quick, here is what he had to say "Yes, the engine is the ported 3L (port matched). I developed the plates after porting one of the heads. So both heads have the plates, but one side has some JB weld in it. As that was the only way to block the port at the time. The LIM that I put in the trunk will bolt right in if you decide you want to have the secondaries back in. I used the CSVT timing and cams."

and is all this i have been reading about taking right hand offramps at higher speed spinning a bearing? is this a real problem with the motors?

Yep, it is a gutted LIM. My plan was to have the tune done, but never got around to having enough money for it. The CEL comes on for the VSS and the front Pre-Cat. The cat material was fractured and breaking apart so I removed it. MIL eliminators would correct the CEL, or you can get a new pre-cat.

I did a recent tuneup on it and I was getting no misfire readings. Not sure what to say about the fan issues you mentioned first. Right before I delivered the car to Ron I replaced the radiator overflow tank, because the original had a small hole in the side and leaked. It might be a little low on coolant.

If you can make it up to Monroe sometime I can swap out the LIM for you. In regards to the IMRC. If you put the LIM on yourself you will need to take the spring off the end of the IMRC cable. That spring pulls the cable as if it were connected to the LIM. Without it you would get a CEL for that.

That offramp issue is what happened to my car getting on 520 in Woodinville off of highway 9 at Costco. That's a fun onramp.

I would be happy to help all I can. Just let me know. I miss the car. This miata really sucks in comparison.

Wow, that was quick for you to recognize my car (I guess it is not mine anymore :( )

Oh yea, that is the original transmission, just rebuilt with a Torsen LSD.

Yep, it is a gutted LIM. My plan was to have the tune done, but never got around to having enough money for it. The CEL comes on for the VSS and the front Pre-Cat. The cat material was fractured and breaking apart so I removed it. MIL eliminators would correct the CEL, or you can get a new pre-cat.

I did a recent tuneup on it and I was getting no misfire readings. Not sure what to say about the fan issues you mentioned first. Right before I delivered the car to Ron I replaced the radiator overflow tank, because the original had a small hole in the side and leaked. It might be a little low on coolant.

If you can make it up to Monroe sometime I can swap out the LIM for you. In regards to the IMRC. If you put the LIM on yourself you will need to take the spring off the end of the IMRC cable. That spring pulls the cable as if it were connected to the LIM. Without it you would get a CEL for that.

That offramp issue is what happened to my car getting on 520 in Woodinville off of highway 9 at Costco. That's a fun onramp.

I would be happy to help all I can. Just let me know. I miss the car. This miata really sucks in comparison.

great thanks for all the info, i tried replying back to your message, but for some reason it wont work for me, would last night with someone else either. we already got the MIL eliminators and installed them, so im assuming the CEL is on still because of the VSS.

as for the coolant, there must be a small leak somewhere, i completely flushed the coolant on monday and the light went off for a couple days, but came back on this morning, but then went back off after like 15 minutes of driving, so i dont know whats going on with that, ill have to get it pressure tested.

So when the coolant expanded after warming up, it probably filled the tank and turned off the light. What a pain, sorry. You might check the composite hose under the water pump. I replaced that a couple times. Thought I finally got a good one, but you never know, it has been on there for a couple years now.

So when the coolant expanded after warming up, it probably filled the tank and turned off the light. What a pain, sorry. You might check the composite hose under the water pump. I replaced that a couple times. Thought I finally got a good one, but you never know, it has been on there for a couple years now.

ok will do, so basically what i need to know now is, if i put the other LIM on, that still wont fix the lack of power on the low end right? or will it? and if not, what do i need to do to have smooth power through the whole RPM range?

ok will do, so basically what i need to know now is, if i put the other LIM on, that still wont fix the lack of power on the low end right? or will it? and if not, what do i need to do to have smooth power through the whole RPM range?

If u put the other lim on it will fix your lower end power issue! And it will be smooth through the entire power range get that done and the VSS done and it looks to be like you should have a nice running 3L

Back