• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

zetec engine bearings going?

did the trick of using a screw driver to listen to various spots on the valve cover and noted that I believe the sound is coming from cylinder around 3 and 4 on the forward side of the engine. I could hear the sound and hear it increase in speed as i increased engine rpm.

did the trick of using a screw driver to listen to various spots on the valve cover and noted that I believe the sound is coming from cylinder around 3 and 4 on the forward side of the engine. I could hear the sound and hear it increase in speed as i increased engine rpm.

using a screwdriver or a stethoscope to listen on the valve cover wouldnt really help you localize a lifter noise. Its more useful when you are listening for injector pulses, or that type of thing. Why not pop off the valve cover and have a look see what you can find out.

using a screwdriver or a stethoscope to listen on the valve cover wouldnt really help you localize a lifter noise. Its more useful when you are listening for injector pulses, or that type of thing. Why not pop off the valve cover and have a look see what you can find out.

well it was better then nothing. I could hear it on that corner of the engine and not the other 3. I listened to the injectors also just for the fun of it.

it just seems to point me to a lifter instead of the bottom end like I originally feared when i heard the noise.

yeah I know what you are saying. really though using a screwdriver on your valve cover will just tell you which bolt is tightest (that portion of the gasket would transmit more sound from the rest of the engine. But after listening to your video repeatedly with my speakers way louder than my wife thought they should be, my guess is that it is gonna be a stuck lifter. IDK, I actually havent torn into many zetecs. Like I said, pop the valve cover off and have a look at what is going on.

removing the valve cover isnt going to help as the lifters are directly under the cams and you cant get to them without removing the cams.

I think its time to take my advice

I think its time to take my advice

If it is just a lifter and the engine runs well, turn up the radio and ignore it.

Back