• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake debacle

Con2er

CEG'er
Ok so I bought one of those $20 focus intakes from Ebay and made it work on my contour ....sorta.

l_52308e800b744079ad28fcd495981e53.jpg

It was loud , annoying and for some reason it caused massive hesitation. If you didn't put the gas on slow and floored it the engine just sputtered and once it even backfired. It wasn't worth trying to make it work with the amount of noise it produced and I had cut the factory accordion so I made a pseudo Sleeper Z intake.
l_62205446833a4a2ea6900c24f3846bf1.jpg

I left the stock snorkel in place and it has a fram. This car doesn't need a K&N. It sounds a little better then stock and I got rid of the huge resonator that sat on the throttle body. It doesn't hesitate now at least not that I can tell so I'm happy. I just hope my wife is.

Oh and
l_b2c2f3e8f9dd4a2e97e78c208fedb634.jpg

hacksaw

The stock box pulls colder air from the fender well and will Flow and filter better then the ebay special.

You live and ya learn... :laugh:

it looks like you left the hole on the elbow open. that would explain the sputtering and noise. :shrug:

Edit: it also looks like you hooked up the breather hose after the MAF on the new intake instead of just installing a breather filter on it. this means the PCV system is now closed instead of open like the PCM is tuned for.

it looks like you left the hole on the elbow open. that would explain the sputtering and noise. :shrug:

Edit: it also looks like you hooked up the breather hose after the MAF on the new intake instead of just installing a breather filter on it. this means the PCV system is now closed instead of open like the PCM is tuned for.

The elbow hole was closed I glued a vacuum plug in it. I tried unhooking the breather hose and plugging that hole too and there was no change. It was weird. If I was easy on the throttle and waited for the air to start pulling thru the filter there was no problem. If I just opened the throttle all the way real fast it just sputtered. This was cold or hot engine in the garage with the hood up.

I always assumed it was to quiet the intake. If it is some sort of air reserve too then why does no one else have problems when they install short ram or CAI?

"Problem" is a strong word to use. My turbo mazdas didnt have that resonator but the NA cars did and even the glovebox manual mentions it (probably so you dont tamper with it). It mentioned the "silencer" resonator in the fender/wheel well and the "torque" resonator on the bottom side of the air intake hose. Over on mx6.com we always had people ditching the resonator for a straight pipe and then saying the engine felt different but still ran fine. It wasnt until someone dynoed an NA back to back with the resonator removed that we saw it did adjust the curve slightly although I think peak torque ended up being the same.

It does work about the same, but feels slightly differant. I have tried both of them on my contour and just happen to like the stock-ish intake over the CAI just because of throttle response alone.

Back