• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

65mm mustang throttle body

^^^^^

thats what i did. but you have to shave down the TPS mounting point so there was full contact with the plastic part of it

true,good call

Yea, I had to do this as well. I may have access to a machine shop through school so I may see if they'll let me shave down the two 65mm castings I have and then machine in my custom stops. Then the ones I have prepped would just need to have the SVT linkage installed and obviously opened up to accept the larger plate.

A 65mm TB gives a throttle response increase on any decent 2.5L or above. Increased throttle response is commonly perceived as an increase in power when it normally does not give any.
A hot 2.5L will see a high rpm power gain with a 65mm TB. High rpm being above 6800 rpm. An optimized 60mm SVT TB flows roughly 320-330cfm without a power loss. If you do the math a typical bolt on 2.5L (with chip obviously) will not surpass 320cfm until past 7200rpm.
A "good" 3L (not oval cams or intakes!) will hit 320cfm at around 6200 rpm. So a 65mm TB will be beneficial as the power curve passes 6000 rpm.
A boosted car is a different matter. Either a boosted 2.5L or 3L will love a bigger TB as long as it is not bigger then the intake tract before it or the manifold behind it.

May I add another reason this should be a good mod for a 3.0, especially a hot one. Going from a 2.5 to a 3.0 increases displacement about 20%. That means that to breath the same as 2.5, a 20% increase in throttle body area is desired. A 20% increase would be close to 65mm, actually closer to 66mm. That is assuming that is the biggest restriction.

yeah. i had a stock TB on my car at the dyno last year at SZ. just after i got back i got my 65mm TB and 75MM maf housing in. the gain from 5000-redline was VERY noticible. i have most the N/A bolt ons so those were the restriction points. i then put a gutted LIM in, and it pulled like crazy. too bad i locked that motor up in a puddle :(

any progress on a complete write-up? :)

I've taken most of the pictures...

All i have left is 3-4 pictures do the rest of the modifying...and do a write up:crazy:

Oh and put some pictures in paint to help point out a few things.

Either a boosted 2.5L or 3L will love a bigger TB as long as it is not bigger then the intake tract before it or the manifold behind it.

I too am interested...anyone know the exact size of the intake pipe directly before the TB on the nautilus kit? 3"? That would be 76.199999 mm. (2.5" = 63.5mm) So, for a boosted tour you might want to go even bigger than 65mm?

Or would we need our intake manifolds to have a bigger inlet right after the TB for this to be useful?

I too am interested...anyone know the exact size of the intake pipe directly before the TB on the nautilus kit? 3"? That would be 76.199999 mm. (2.5" = 63.5mm) So, for a boosted tour you might want to go even bigger than 65mm?

Or would we need our intake manifolds to have a bigger inlet right after the TB for this to be useful?

Svt inlet for the UIM is 67.3mm. You can even grind t down to fit a 70mm.

When and where will that how to be posted?:cool:

Oh the write up is almost done. I need to add pictures and will post it.

I always over write things....just because i want to be very clear on what procedures should be taken.:cool:

I did this yrs ago and supplied it to a buddy of mine with a 3.0. Bought it back after he sold his car. Never installed it on my 2.5 as I figured it would be too big plus I already had a custom overbored 62mm I made. Now that I have the 3.0 installed it will be going on my motor in the Spring.

I posted a how to c/w digipix here years ago. Find it if you do a search?

I'm a machinist by trade so it was pretty easy once I had the parts. I used a 4.6 SOHC Mustang casting, plate and shaft and an SVT fulcrum. I did have to machine the casting so the fulcrum had clearance. Of course I optimized everything too. Then I made my own adjustable stop which bolts to the upper RH mounting point. I had custom gaskets made so there are no sealing problems or gasket sandwich req'd.

If I can find the pix (new PC) I'll post 'em.

A 65mm TB gives a throttle response increase on any decent 2.5L or above. Increased throttle response is commonly perceived as an increase in power when it normally does not give any.
A hot 2.5L will see a high rpm power gain with a 65mm TB. High rpm being above 6800 rpm. An optimized 60mm SVT TB flows roughly 320-330cfm without a power loss. If you do the math a typical bolt on 2.5L (with chip obviously) will not surpass 320cfm until past 7200rpm.
A "good" 3L (not oval cams or intakes!) will hit 320cfm at around 6200 rpm. So a 65mm TB will be beneficial as the power curve passes 6000 rpm.
A boosted car is a different matter. Either a boosted 2.5L or 3L will love a bigger TB as long as it is not bigger then the intake tract before it or the manifold behind it.

How about a 3.0 with SVT cams?

You cannot use the shaft as it's too short and the seals end up being inside the bore of the casting. Use the fulcrum and the springs from the SVT t-body and the rest of the parts from the 65mm.

Bradness...you can do both.

Back