• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How Do I Scrape parts of the Cluster

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
Suppose I wanted to add an arrow on my fuel guage (for the wife) denoting which side the tank fills from like a lot of newer cars and my Ram truck have? How do I get behind there to scrape away part of the black or what? Is it between the black layer and the cluster molding itself or behind it or what? Little help and guidance from someone who's done similar stuff. Thanks.

there is a low fuel light in there already that has an arrow pointing to the side you fill on. If it doesnt work, replace the bulb. Instead of modifying the cluster, why not just put a post-it on the cluster till she remembers?

Ah, you must not be familiar with the term "she who must be obeyed". When she says "Why can't I have this like my old car ......?" it may be phrased as a question but it's really not. Especially when it's pretty simple and can be done. She's been trained never to get down to the low fuel light but she's driving my Contour now because her Subaru got totalled, and we haven't gone new-car-shopping yet.

My cluster has an arrow right next to the gas gauge :shrug:
Is it only the Svt's that have them? If so maybe just pick up an Svt cluster....

my stock cluster didnt have the arrow, its an SVT thing I think

Yeah I am married and definately aware of the phrase "she who must be obeyed" Thats when you teach her the phrase I taught my wife "he who will not get off the sofa for whining"

my stock cluster didnt have the arrow, its an SVT thing I think

Not whining, just she (and in many aspects I agree) think a simple thing like that should have been done to all the clusters. Why do it on one and not another? Makes no sense. But she also knows I'm capable of fixing such "small things" so why not do it?

So does anybody have a short description of the process here?

Just tell her the gas door is on the same side of the gas gauge:shrug:

Actually a better idea would be for someone to just answer the basic question. A day and a half and all I've gotten is sarcastic answers. No wonder people go to FordContour.org to get real answers and just post here for jerk-off answers.

i dont think there is a good way to do it that wont be lit up all the time. but if you really have to do this, its not hard. once the gauge cluster is removed, pop off the plastic lens, carefully remove the needle from the fuel gauge (a pair of spoons is supposed to work well), peel up the gauge face, scrape an arrow of your design into it somewhere, stick gauge face back on (clear drying glue sticks work pretty well if it doesnt want to stick anymore), reinstall needle (make sure tank is full, plug in the cluster and turn the key on, then push needle on in the correct position).

Im still not sure why its so hard to remember what side of the car the fuel door is on though. :shrug:

Actually a better idea would be for someone to just answer the basic question. A day and a half and all I've gotten is sarcastic answers. No wonder people go to FordContour.org to get real answers and just post here for jerk-off answers.

Tell you're dumbass wife to get a clue and remember something as simple as what side the gas door is on. :shrug: Or maybe search to see how people light up the 'svt' on their cluster, that might tell you how to remove the front plastic. Seriously, your wife can't remember this shiz????

Im still not sure why its so hard to remember what side of the car the fuel door is on though.

Thank you for actually answering the posted question. I think it's more just one of those things that she's used to and likes it that way. It's a good basic idea for any vehicle and when we switch back and forth (we had 3 vehicles) enough time it helps.

I won't even bother with PHilly's response. He's just a moron.

The answer to the basic question is pretty basic. Pull the gauges and scrape off the backing with a razor. Then you can put colored tape on the back to make it look whatever color she wants. No sense in getting so worked up about what seems like a worthless project.

I wouldnt come complaining to us though when you dont get your needle back on facing the right direction. Its a really worthless mod though, since the arrow would only be visible at night when you have your lights on.

I'll give you an option to use instead of scraping the back for something that would light up, and instead of taking your gauge apart and risk breaking your needle or not putting it back on the right direction. Take the cover off your gauges, and use a white paint pen to draw the arrow on, you can even make a little stencil and use spray paint if you want. Then you have one that is visible during the day time and even at night when you pull into a gas station that is probably well enough lit you can see it anyways. It would only make sense to scrape the back of the gauge off if you had a contrasting color of gauges like white face where the BLACK ARROW would be visible. On a black gauge face a black arrow just wouldnt be visible now would it.

Or you could just buy a set of SVT gauges and you would already have the arrow.

Or you could just buy a set of SVT gauges and you would already have the arrow.

Had that thought already when I tried putting a gauge in off a V6 cluster (with the arrow) and it operated backwards. Perhaps it was the wrong year cluster. The easier solution is to hurry up and buy the wife a new car so I can have my Contour back. I don't have an issue with the fuel gauge as it is.

But for those who answered the question.... Thanks!

A hint: the little nozzle/hose on the fuel pump symbol on the gauge... whatever side of the pump it is on, is what side the fuel door is on.

A hint: the little nozzle/hose on the fuel pump symbol on the gauge... whatever side of the pump it is on, is what side the fuel door is on.

I was just going to say that ^^^

Not true in every case, and thus invalid as a rule of thumb. Unless you mean strictly on Fords. On my 97 Dodge Ram 1500 the fuel pump graphic has the nozzle/handle image on the right hand side (just like the Contours) but the truck fuels from the left hand side.

Back