• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pwntbywombat 3L Build Thread

When I pulled mine it had a blue rubbery substance on it as well...I don't think it was rtv. Maybe something that is already on the gaskets when they come in the package.

Sometime I use it hold gaskets in place when assembling, is it alot or a dab here and there? I dont think I would want to use it for a head gasket. Havent before, not even a dab because isnt there dowels in the block for alignment.

my pint is basically, the cobustion chamber reaches temperatures that will melt aluminum. I'm pretty sure thats not quite what they mean by "high-temp silicone"

It was quite a bit. Like along the whole outline of the gasket. It wasn't RTV or any other type of caulking either cause it was like flaky and pealed off both the gaskets, heads, and the block...hmm

Plates installed, and this ends the chapter on the heads. Minus cam installation.
IMG00132.jpg

And just for sh*ts and giggles I had to see what it would look like all put together, minus valve covers which I think I'm going to paint silver...haven't decided yet. And I'm thinking of going to Home Depot and replacing all of the rusted exhaust manifold studs and nuts with stainless ones.
IMG00134.jpg

More to come!

yeah, it's different for sure

I think the valve covers should be white with your color scheme

also, paint the intake red.

or... better idea, paint the intake manifold red/white (like stripes) then paint the valve covers blue, and put white stars on it!!!!

[edit] I really dont think the paint in the intake ports will hurt. if it's solvent proof paint (like caliper paint) it might actually help with air flow (by smoothing the surface), if not, the fuel will just disolve it and turn it to smoke when you burn it in the cylinders.

Just be sure to get that overspray off of the gasket/seal mateing surfaces. I hope you removed the red paint beneath those bugzuki plates. Otherwise its just adhearding to the paint and that can/probably will flake off.

Got my dremel back today so I'm going to buff out the intakes one more time...that will get rid of any over spray. Yes i removed the paint before installing the bugzuki plates. And i was thinking, the long runners red, short runners blue with silver valve covers...any thoughts? Apparently the gasket set i ordered is on back order, I received the valve cover gaskets...but nothing i can do with those till the heads are back on and the cams are installed so its just going to be painting the UIM then waiting....and more waiting...

Did anyone notice that he doesn't have the bugzuki plate screw holes lined up with the holes in the head, or are my eyes deceiving me??? :confused:

It does look like he masked off some of the area where the sealant goes, but how did the paint get in the ports still......? This whole thing confuses me - good luck.

Your eyes deceive you, the holes are lined up. haha Don't worry. And i painted, then put the plates on. I scrapped up the paint on the surface of the manifold, then applied the sealant. I just buffed out the ports with a dremel, paint came off no problem, and it buffed the inner walls soooo smooth.

I still vote for long runners red and short runners white, or do each plenum worth of runners in a color (red/white) the go with blue valve covers. believe me, with the capt'n america thing goin, it'll look cool.

you could even talk to parked car about some capt'n america shield overlays for your ford ovals on the front and back of the car. hee hee

Haha, yeah. I started painting the UIM last night. Going with red long runners, and white short runners with the majority of the UIM white. With blue valve valve covers. I also buffed out the insides of the UIM and LIM with a sand paper dremel wheel Kevin gave me. Man, that made that aluminum sparkle and whoooh is it smooth! :)

Just out of curiosity, no one ever answered the question about the DAMB heads... the cams are clearly marked, but I haven't got a strait answer as to why no one has done it.

Finally got some time to throw up some pictures. The LIM (Blue, to contrast with the red heads), the UIM painted red right now, the whole plenum (minus the long runners is masked off), I'm going for the long runners red, the rest of the manifold white. Dan and I also buffed out the insides of the UIM, LIM, and the heads with this dremel bit Kevin gave me. It blows using B12 out of the water. Haha.

The bit. Works great, I highly recommend it for removing surface debris and buffing out the imperfections inside the UIM.
IMG00141.jpg

Grinding out 10 years worth of carbon deposits.
IMG00143.jpg

IMG00144.jpg

The bit really shined up the UIM :)
IMG00145.jpg

Masked off the UIM, and started the tedious painting process.
IMG00146.jpg

Next up is the valve covers. More to come!

Been busy on painting this UIM. That was quite a lot of work. Head gaskets, Head Bolts, and all the other parts are here, so reassembly soon!

Red long runners, White short runners, and the rest of the plenum white...didn't turn out to bad. A little touching up to do, but not too shabby for the first once over.
IMG00051.jpg

Back