• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pwntbywombat 3L Build Thread

So the heads are done being port matched, time to pull them so dad (kevin as he will now on be referred to) can hone them out and make them look all shiny and smooth. I pulled the right head and wow...that sucker is tough to get loose from all the gasket sealant.

IMG00124.jpg

The head, valve side up.
IMG00123.jpg

The tops of the pistons after meeting some cleaner. I moved the pistons via the crank dampener bot to make sure no cleaning residue was left behind on the cylinder walls, then oiled them just to be sure.
IMG00125.jpg

And using the bolts from Dans pulley puller i was able to hold the dampener in place while i got it loose no problem.
IMG00121.jpg

I'm giving up for today. But ill post more pictures and what not tomorrow. Hopefully Dan will be over with the hoist so we can get this thing on a stand to drop the pan and the timing cover to get the timing components swapped.

I did not use JB with the plates.

First time I used high temp gasket maker to seal the plate to the head. This material got brittle after some heat cycling and any that came in contact with fuel dissolved.

On my latest build I used Permatex Anaerobic sealant. So far so good. Any part that stays exposed to open air will not harden so it cleans up nice. I feel this was a much better way to go. I have not had the intake manifolds off since install so no other afterthoughts.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...High_Temperature_Anaerobic_Flange_Sealant.htm
DisplayImage.asp

second3l007ks1.jpg

second3l006kf2.jpg

Thanks for the advice SHOgofast. My friends and I got the engine up on a stand, and removed the other head for Kevin to finish honing them. Cleaned up the pistons a bit too. Next...well I'm at a snag, waiting for my gasket set to get here still. Then it will be time to put it all back together. Then time to pull the 2.5 and start swapping!

Both heads removed.
IMG00128.jpg

From another angle.
IMG00127.jpg

And the honing process...
IMG00126.jpg

Kevin finished the heads. So I decided to paint a bit. The headers are coated with a ceramic spray that you bake in the oven after drying. We'll see if its worth it. And what other colors could you paint an American motor other than Red (Heads), White (Headers), and the Ford Blue (Block and oilpan).

IMG00129.jpg

IMG00130.jpg

I did not use JB with the plates.

First time I used high temp gasket maker to seal the plate to the head. This material got brittle after some heat cycling and any that came in contact with fuel dissolved.

On my latest build I used Permatex Anaerobic sealant. So far so good. Any part that stays exposed to open air will not harden so it cleans up nice. I feel this was a much better way to go. I have not had the intake manifolds off since install so no other afterthoughts.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...High_Temperature_Anaerobic_Flange_Sealant.htm

the first time we used ultra black rtv. when I thought that they where leaking I pulled them and use the red permatex anaerobic sealant. have checked since then but its running well.

Looking good.

Be sure to remove all paint from all of the gasket mating surfaces to ensure a good seal. Especially if you use anaerobic sealant as it must have contact with metal on both sides to harden correctly.

I bought the red RTV as suggested by you guys and I covered up most of the gasket mating surfaces with painters tape, I'm letting the paint cure for another day before I touch anything. My new LIM arrived, thank you svttour, and I'm cleaning it up a bit. Hopefully my gasket set get here soon so i can start putting this beast back together! And no, it's name is not captain america. lol

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...High_Temperature_Anaerobic_Flange_Sealant.htm Thats the stuff I bought, I must have got confused. My bad. Why wouldn't you use red RTV? Whats the difference?

its right in the name. an anerobic sealer on hardens when there is a lack of air. so it is easier to clean up after it sets because it will still be liquid. and for the same reason you use it to seal the mtx if by some chance some got inside somewhere it wouldn't do damage as it is liquid and not a solid chunk like rtv would be

My friend already claimed it for his project, he is dropping a 3.2 in his SHO and is doing a full engine and tranny rebuild. But ill PM you if there is any left. For the head gaskets, would I want to use the stuff I bought or would I want to go with an RTV sealer?

cool beans

I thought you just put the head gaskets on. but if it did require sealant, youd use the anerobic. black permatex is for the valve cover "joints" (were the water pump cam bearing is, and at the timing cover), the timing cover "joints" (from pan to lower block, lower block to upper block, upper block to heads), the HBpully bolt, and the oil pan. red permatex is for coolant system stuff. I forget what blue permatex is for, never had to get any

naw, what I meant was I believe you only use the gasket, but I'm not sure. havent done on on these engines yet.

I know on a normal headgasket you just put it on, but these use a bi-metalic gasket like the oem exhast gasket is, so I'm not sure.

Back