• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The Progress Thread for the Cooler Zetec

I think "enthusiastic" describes it better.

Enthusiasm in the wrong thing is a bad thing

This is the Contour Enthusiast Group, no?

By name, yes. In practice? Not so much.

Are you an enthusiast of all Contours and Mystiques?

enthusiast |enˈθoōzēˌast|
noun
a person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject

Yes. (Even though, using the site's official name as a definition of its purpose, as you are doing, this isn't a place for Mystiques, Mondeos, Cougars, etc.)

No?
Then why are you here? :rolleyes:

You had a good thing going, but your logic fell through at the end.

Therein lies the problem. The OP is deluded, and a bunch of congratulatory bull:censored: isn't going to help any.

you are the deluded one. an auto enthusiast isn't going to put someone else car down because they don't care for it. if you are truely in this for the enjoyment of the automobile it doesn't matter what it is or what someone does to it. any automobile enthusiast would be glad to see someone young excited about what they have and wanting to make it better.

What I don't understand is the why someone would go out of their way to heap scorn a project that someone else is doing? Why would you want to be a jerk when you could say nothing at all with far less effort?

This guy has a Zetec-powered Contour that he's taking care of in an effort to enrich his experience with it. Where does this cat from Iowa get off telling him to shove off just because the car isn't an SVT?

And, for the record, constructive criticism can come in the form of suggestions. Those are welcome.

you are the deluded one. an auto enthusiast isn't going to put someone else car down because they don't care for it. if you are truely in this for the enjoyment of the automobile it doesn't matter what it is or what someone does to it. any automobile enthusiast would be glad to see someone young excited about what they have and wanting to make it better.

cardboard_ricer.jpg

This young man is excited about his vehicle. No one should dare criticize anything he's done, right?

Where does this cat from Iowa get off telling him to shove off just because the car isn't an SVT?

I've said nothing of the sort.

...This young man is excited about his vehicle. No one should dare criticize anything he's done, right?

I've said nothing of the sort.

I think the point here is that there is no need to be mean. This isn't a First Amendment argument -- you certainly have the right to say it, but in what way does it help you or the original poster? I wouldn't feel too great about myself if I told someone who was excited to share something positive they're doing to go :censored::censored::censored::censored: in their hat, pull it down over their eyes and wink. What would that get me? What does that get the original poster? It likely helps no one at all. There's a great saying relayed to me years ago by a close friend, "Always tell the truth, but don't always be tellin' it." There are times when its ok to keep your mouth shut.

If this isn't a criticism, then what is it? A compliment?

because criticism is finding fault with something. there is nothing wrong with what he is doing, i just wouldnt do it, so it is neither a compliment nor a criticism.

No, I understood your point perfectly well. The problem with your argument is that you're taking a single aspect of "function" and running with it to an extreme. There is much more to function than by-the-numbers performance. But then again, I really shouldn't have to explain this.

actually, you are incorrect. There is nothing wrong with my argument. I am not taking a single aspect of function, you can try any function and it still works. Besides, the fact that you were the one to criticize the engine/transmission would limit the comparisons to performance anyway, since the only thing a duratec/mtx would do better is acceleration.

This young man is excited about his vehicle. No one should dare criticize anything he's done, right?

That's quite the stretch, though. Nowhere on wannabe's car is there any plastic sheeting or cardboard. Nor do I see any rattle can black "stripes" up the roof of the car. He's made simple mods. Not all of us agree with all of them (chicken wire, for one example), but we're not bashing him for trying.

He's young, doesn't have a ton of money or experience. He's working with what he's got, and I give him credit for that.

just thought i would divert the grammer and ethics 101 session by saying that my car has the same rake as yours, whats up with the rake? is this normal or are the front struts going out?

cardboard_ricer.jpg

I can't see the picture at work. but based on the discription given how do we know it wasn't done as a joke?

also I don't care for hondas. what most people do with them I don't care for. But I don't go running around putting them down. but at the same time if I see one well done it will get my respect.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD EVERYBODY STOP NOW.

Seriously. No one gave me a bunch of crap in MY Zetec progress thread, so why are you bashing wannabe? Jesus.

I will admit that when I read the title of the thread, I was expecting to see a plastic lined trunk full of soda cans.

You know... like a cooler.

because criticism is finding fault with something. there is nothing wrong with what he is doing, i just wouldnt do it, so it is neither a compliment nor a criticism.

Then how can you say what he's doing is a waste?

actually, you are incorrect. There is nothing wrong with my argument. I am not taking a single aspect of function, you can try any function and it still works. Besides, the fact that you were the one to criticize the engine/transmission would limit the comparisons to performance anyway, since the only thing a duratec/mtx would do better is acceleration.

No, you did take a single aspect of function into account - performance. I can try any aspect I want and it still works? Okay, find me five different cars that can carry five people plus luggage, run 14s in the quarter, get 30mpg, have easily available parts, look decent, have 50k or less on the engine, and can be had for under 5 grand. I really doubt that's even possible.

That's why I drive a Contour. Not because it's particularly good at any one thing, but it's extremely well-rounded. Obviously you can find cars that do each thing much better, but that's not the point.

That's quite the stretch, though. Nowhere on wannabe's car is there any plastic sheeting or cardboard. Nor do I see any rattle can black "stripes" up the roof of the car. He's made simple mods. Not all of us agree with all of them (chicken wire, for one example), but we're not bashing him for trying.

That's the whole point of what I said - I took the argument to an extreme and showed how it breaks down. "You shouldn't make fun of someone else's car...well...unless it's really ugly."

He's young, doesn't have a ton of money or experience. He's working with what he's got, and I give him credit for that.

I've been in the same position, and it's possible NOT to do stupid things to a car.

No, you did take a single aspect of function into account - performance. I can try any aspect I want and it still works? Okay, find me five different cars that can carry five people plus luggage, run 14s in the quarter, get 30mpg, have easily available parts, look decent, have 50k or less on the engine, and can be had for under 5 grand. I really doubt that's even possible.

That's why I drive a Contour. Not because it's particularly good at any one thing, but it's extremely well-rounded. Obviously you can find cars that do each thing much better, but that's not the point.

Yeah, you only need to do an engine swap to get that. :rolleyes:

Back