• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Noble 3.0L Twin Turbo Build

I know very little about turbo setups, but a guy I know has a business making turbo manifolds and for his flanges, I believe he just gets an exhaust manifold gasket and sends it to whoever makes his flanges and they use the gasket as a template to cut the flanges. Just figured I'd toss that idea in there too, if you can't get just flanges from MSDS.

I know very little about turbo setups, but a guy I know has a business making turbo manifolds and for his flanges, I believe he just gets an exhaust manifold gasket and sends it to whoever makes his flanges and they use the gasket as a template to cut the flanges. Just figured I'd toss that idea in there too, if you can't get just flanges from MSDS.

Ill keep that in mind, thanks!

You can indeed cut off the precats and weld tube to the stock manifolds. I had one done by a friend of mine. The metal those things are made of is a pain in the butt to cut, but it seemed to weld well.

You have to work on it a bit to transition from the manifold to tube but any competent metal fab/welder should be able to do it no problem.

And what i meant in my above post was to take a stock manifold and have it taken to someplace that could copy it.

I believe they are made out of cast iron, not 100% sure though. Im going to try that first to see what I can do with them. Last resort is to call MSDS for flanges or just have some made.

They're not cast iron. They are some kind of steel I believe.

If I recall correctly i believe they are like a muti-part stamping welded together.

They're not cast iron. They are some kind of steel I believe.

If I recall correctly i believe they are like a muti-part stamping welded together.

Good to know thanks. Does anyone have a set of 2.5L exhaust manifolds, that they are willing to sell?

I do.

They are kinda heavy so shipping might be expensive.

If you can't find a set closer to TX let me know and we can work something out.

FWIW, let's not forget this is a FWD platform. Even though you want to spool up quicker, it's only going to hurt you in the long run. You might as well just throw up the engine in the trunk like the Noble/Rossion to make it RWD or just convert the car to RWD.

why was this post ignored? the last thing this platform needs is instantaneous boost. why not cut out the middle man and just snap your axles, kick yourself in the balls, and then burn the money.

why was this post ignored? the last thing this platform needs is instantaneous boost. why not cut out the middle man and just snap your axles, kick yourself in the balls, and then burn the money.

this is true. i thought about that also, but am all about letting anyone try something the first time. its kinda like when a rich man tells a poor man that money doesn't bring happiness. the poor man still itches to get that money regardless, so he can say the same to another poor man:laugh:

I have a used garret gt28r I would sell you. Not sure if Stazi has his of that same size anymore. That would be two very appropriately sized turbos for your project.

Both are dual ball bearing oil and liquid cooled.

Good lucky with your build, PM if interested.

I believe people run the gt28r's on the nissan 300zx 3.0L with 8.5 compression pistons. I want to say i read HP# in the 400-500 range.

That sounds about right. You can get up to about the 500-550hp range on twin GT28R on this motor. Above that, you start pushing more heat than moving air.

The GT28RS does spool more slowly, but it's not a huge difference when tuned right. You can also get up in the 600+hp range on pump gas, and even more on better fuel.

But the size Im running they are TD05's, a little bigger than the 3000gt twins, if that helps.

Intercooler wise, Im having one custom made that will have two inlet ports, one for each turbo, and one outlet. Have not determined dia yet. Any recs?

There are a bunch of different TD05's, and they do vary quite a bit. Personally, if you're going to go through the trouble of twin turbo, you may as well go for ball bearing turbos. IMHO, of course.

For the intercooler, look into Bell. Their cores perform well (bar & plate), and their manufacturing is top notch. They do clean, even welds, tapered tanks, bead rolled ends, etc.

intercooler_endcomp1.jpg

I thought about that, but then realized that I cant because Im using 2.5L heads not 3.0L heads. I little more work then what I wanted. Im just going take a set of 2.5 manis and port match.

um, the header flange for the 2.5L and the 3L heads are the same ... ask all those using MSDS headers for there 2.5L on their 3L ...

Your using 2.5L heads on a 3.0L? You know that increases the compression ratio to about 11.2:1... I mean, I know the motor has low compression pistons, but still, using that combo is not ideal for boost.

I'm starting to have little faith in this project.

Last edited:
Back