• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My custom 3.5" cold air intake

curious...why doesn't anyone try an external point..ie hood scoop, or any other place other than a couple inches from a 200+ degree engine?? am i missing something or is it just that people don't wanna f-up their hood? i am thinking about fabricating my own hood scoop simplily for the cooler air and the ram-air effect. please if i'm wrong or fix'n to f-up my car let me know how and why!

no matter how hard you try your not going to get a ram air effect, at least not till hit well over what the contour will top out at (somewhere around 400MPH is the number thats stuck in my head). thats not to say that the cooler air from the scoop wont be beneficial but you certainly wont be pressurizing the intake system.

no matter how hard you try your not going to get a ram air effect, at least not till hit well over what the contour will top out at (somewhere around 400MPH is the number thats stuck in my head). thats not to say that the cooler air from the scoop wont be beneficial but you certainly wont be pressurizing the intake system.

ok, i think i know what you're say'n, but do you think this project would be worth the trouble?

ok, i think i know what you're say'n, but do you think this project would be worth the trouble?
by the time you spend the time and money making it all work so that the engine doesnt suck in any water and make the hood look good, you definitely could have just run a CAI into the fender.

so IMO trying to mod the hood for this is not worth it.

yes, i figured that, but i am really reluctant to do the fender thing, my sis hydrolocked an 95 intrepid by driving tru a mid-rim deep puddle...they run the air thru the fender straight to the ground...seems like to big of a risk to me, but maybey that was just a freak incident, i dunno.

NPG cold air intake. also if your really worried about it then you can install one of those AEM water bypass valves under the hood.

LIM%20Mod%20041.jpg

NPG cold air intake. also if your really worried about it then you can install one of those AEM water bypass valves under the hood.

LIM%20Mod%20041.jpg

yes, think'n bout something like that too...where wud be the best all-around place to buy one of those setups?

aem-valve.jpg
The water bypass valves are just tubes with a filter section that will always suck in hot air. The idea is the water drips out at that filter portion.

Has anybody tested the temperatures of the NPG intake. It looks like it would be draxing in stagnant air from within the bumper.

The idea of the 'ram' intake isn't so much for the volume but for the effect of the air. My friend has a cold air intake with a scoop under his car in a suzuki aerio 2.3 and when we are driving around at 45mph the intake temp is sometimes 1-2 degrees lower than the outside temperature. That is because of the air rushing over the sensor. That is what I am trying to achieve.

Last edited:
thats not how bypass valves work LT. they work via suction. they'll only open when the filter is submerged to the point were no air come's in creating the suction which makes them open. they're spring loaded.

thats not how bypass valves work LT. they work via suction. they'll only open when the filter is submerged to the point were no air come's in creating the suction which makes them open. they're spring loaded.

Then its next to worthless... I have no intention of fording rivers in my CSVT

So just because you filter is made of mesh and metal its not gonna suck in water from an unavoidable puddle? Any filter placed directly in contact with a puddle is going to induce water. :confused:

My filter, hanging a little too low recently had a head on collision with a dead racoon laying in the road and subsequently snapped in half. The cheap ass filter broke in half so back to autozone to buy another stubby filter to replace the old one. No K&N till I get a more permanent air filter setup.

Back