• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My custom 3.5" cold air intake

volfan98

CEG'er
I fabricated this before NP came out with theirs. I've always had cold air intakes on my cars and I was frustrated by the lack of one for our cars. I used a BAT MAF adapter, a 3.5" silicone adapter from ebay, a 3.5" U-bend from Summit, a K&N filter with a 3.5" opening, and some insulating wrap. The fuse box was rotated to underneath the MAF, there was just enough room to make it fit. The next time I take it out to clean the filter i'll snap some pics of it out.

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Matt

any real noticeable gain? i know its not much over stock but i bet if i ran cold air it would be a hell of alot better than the short filter i have now.

Well I went from a stock intake with a K&N filter to this, so I can't compare it to a WAI. There was a noticable gain though, at least by SOTP. I love the way it sounds as well.

any real noticeable gain? i know its not much over stock but i bet if i ran cold air it would be a hell of alot better than the short filter i have now.

You ought to get rid of your cherry bomb resonator, I think that they are louvered inside. Get a Dynomax thrush glasspack muffler instead - they have a perforated core and won't make as much backpressure.

DSC_0168.jpg

If your talking about pressure....3.5 inch is too large of an intake tube. your pipe is larger than the maf and TB. That creates drops of pressure/turbulance inside the tube making you lose power at wot in the low rpms. Your not making any more power at wots compared to a 3inch tube IMHO you are losing power at the upper rpms. But then again dyno results will prove this.:cool:

I have the NP cold air intake. I didn't notice gains over the regular short ram. Like burrita said, it will shine the most when summer comes around.

I have the NP cold air intake. I didn't notice gains over the regular short ram. Like burrita said, it will shine the most when summer comes around.
Yeah, :blackeye: Sitting at a stop light in the summer with a open element filter, and then when you punch it at green, it feels like your trying to tow a boat.

If your talking about pressure....3.5 inch is too large of an intake tube. your pipe is larger than the maf and TB. That creates drops of pressure/turbulance inside the tube making you lose power at wot in the low rpms. Your not making any more power at wots compared to a 3inch tube IMHO you are losing power at the upper rpms. But then again dyno results will prove this.:cool:

I know that 3.5 inch is overkill for our cars, but it is the same size as the MAF adapter and MAF. This gives a smooth transition which should minimize the turbulence, not induce it. :cool:

I just put a 3 inch pipe down the engine bay and have a cheap cone filter at an angle hanging slightly under the car. I'll take pictures when theres light out.

I fabricated this before NP came out with theirs. I've always had cold air intakes on my cars and I was frustrated by the lack of one for our cars. I used a BAT MAF adapter, a 3.5" silicone adapter from ebay, a 3.5" U-bend from Summit, a K&N filter with a 3.5" opening, and some insulating wrap. The fuse box was rotated to underneath the MAF, there was just enough room to make it fit. The next time I take it out to clean the filter i'll snap some pics of it out.

Matt

A+ for effort and for the time spent on making such thing, but I don't see why someone would be frustrated by the lack of a cold air intake...

Heres my 10 minute custom intake. I'm working on a new setup. This one is temporary but it works.

untitled.jpg

redneckintake.jpg

There are zipties holding it off the transmission and yes, occassionally it will scrape but the filter is an el cheapo APC filter from autozone so who cares?

i'd raise it slightly,but it should be fine,thats were thousands and thousands of mx6/626/probes run the filter w/very little problems

Back