• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got a few goodies in the mail.

R-code

CEG'er
Got my hands on one of two remaining sets of Ford Racing plug wires for the Duratec V6 this afternoon. Also had a new shift knob delivered.

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang2005_gripper_shift_knob.shtml

It's made specificly for a 2005+ Mustang, but the threads are the same as a Contour/Focus shifter. Problem is, the Mustang shifter is a lot shorter and it threads down a lot farther on the shaft. On an otherwise stock Contour, this equates to an extra inch of height with that knob installed. So naturally the only solution is to shorten the stock handle by two inches and have it rethreaded, netting me an overall reduction in height of one inch! With any luck I'll have everything taken care of by Saturday afternoon along with some pictures. This will also allow me to eliminate the reverse lockout tower entirely.

If this works out well, I'm going to talk to the manufacturer of this knob about redesigning it to work with both cars without modification.

~Mike~

Will that little ring on the shifter sit in the top of the reverse lockout to make it look finished off, or are you not running reverse lockout?

i'm not getting them for perf. i need red or black wires to tie in w/my engine bay theme:shrug:

im sure others will disagree, but i had a set on my contour and didn't feel any noticeable difference. just get yourself a set of high quality aftermarket and you'll get the same results

It's not often that a set of plug wires is going to do a whole lot for performance. I just wanted the blue wires w/ the "Ford Racing" script and they only cost a few dollars more than the motorcraft replacement.

~Mike~

please tell me the shift knob you got doesn't say gt on it?

There's an option for a 5-speed pattern in one of the drop-down boxes. I got a different style logo, though. This is the actual pattern I got.

5speed.jpg

It matches the "Eject" power outlet plug :D

mustang2005-deluxe_power_outlet.jpg

I'm working on adapting the HVAC system to accept the A/C knobs as well

satin2toneac.jpg

Expensive knob..... I hope it keeps you warm at night.

Costly, yes, but they're 100% CNC machined billet aluminum with triple chrome plating or a hard anodizing coating for a brushed look. The black grip is hard polymer or solid delrin, depending on what style knob you get. You're not just getting some two-piecec plastic Momo knob that 'looks' like carbon fiber. These are strait-up automotive artwork. MGW's pieces are fairly well known in the Mustang, Viper, and Corvette communities, and hardly anyone gripes about the cost once they see one in the metal.

And then there's his shifters :drool:

~Mike~

i've alway wanted alum. hvac knobs....they're made for the probe for pete's sake:shrug:
..reline,good call on the magnecor's

Awesome. It's nice to see some quality parts.
The guy machines gun barrels and trigger locks for a living, the car parts were a side hobby that exploded into a business of their own once people started noticing how good his stuff was. Once I get everything installed and fitting properly I'll post pics :)

~Mike~

i've alway wanted alum. hvac knobs....they're made for the probe for pete's sake:shrug:
..reline,good call on the magnecor's
If I figure out how to make those work, I'll be sure to put up a how-to for all interested parties. The temp and vent selector are a direct fit, the back of the fan speed knob is buggering things up, though. I'm going to have to see if I can get a Mustang HVAC control panel to work in the car, or find some way to retro-fit the back of the factory knob to the MGW piece.

~Mike~

Whatever happened to a nice leather shift knob?
Nothing wrong with leather, just not my style. I needed to eliminate the lockout tower, too. Drives me up a wall.

For you Euro-nuts out there, the shift knob from the '04 Mondeo made it's way into the American parts bin on the 2005 Mustang. It'll thread right onto any Contour or Focus and has a groove to hold the boot up.

22444032da12fd5c.jpg

That's the knob from our 2006 GT 'vert installed in my '06 Focus. Sits a little high, but it got rid of the lockout tower and it's genuine euro hotness :D

~Mike~

Back