• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

about that how-to on yellow fog lights...

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Just a heads up as I saw the closed post below about the yellow fog light mod. This is not ment to rag on the poster just a friendly pointer that there may be an easier way to get the same result. While I personally do not plan to do this mod to my car the way that was explained in that how-to is much more pain staking then it has to be. My brother did this mod on his SRT4 with very good results using a spray on tint so to speak. This has been posted on-line in many other forums as well.

It's called Krylon Stained Glass Paint and it can be had in not only in yellow, but also red, blue, white and gray frost. The stuff only costs about $9 and can be picked up at just about any arts and crafts store. A hell of a lot easier to paint it on then to squeegee something on. Plus you don't have to worry about having white light coming out the sides not to mention putting a flat piece vinyl over a curved surface.

Enjoy.

stainedglass.jpg

i dunno whats so hard about cutting a circle piece of vinyl. It's like putting a I-phone clear protector on...takes all of a minute but to each his own :shrug:. I'm sure both work equally well.

when I get sick of it though...I'd rather the ease of peeling off vinyl

Because it was locked?

Frankly, it makes more sense to do something less permanent. Then again, I don't know why anyone would want to put yellow tint on any fog lights. To each his own.

Because it was locked?

Frankly, it makes more sense to do something less permanent. Then again, I don't know why anyone would want to put yellow tint on any fog lights. To each his own.

becasue Joe is a cheap ass douchebag! Not as cheap as me but cheap none the less.

Good point on the spray tint! It actually takes all of 5 minutes to put the vinyl on the lens' the how-to just needs to be over detailed so people can follow it. I do agree that you can probably cover the lens better with the spray. I wanted the yellow look and used some tips from other CEGrs who have done the mod.

My fog light lenses were really starting to look like crud after 200k+ on them so this was like putting a nice colorful bandaid on them :D.
Plus it was one of the last yellow accents I have been wanting to add to my contour after seeing this :drool::
IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

Here is wheelspins version with the spray can:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=36553&highlight=yellow+fogs

OFF
100_0862.jpg

ON
100_0869.jpg

AND NIGHT TIME
100_0785.jpg
[/QUOTE]

so how hard it is to remove this stuff? Is it like nightshades and could come off with a little paint thinner?

I like the look on the contour. had it on my focus, wanted to do it to the contour, now those pics confirm my doing so. Cars look great!! :cool:

yellow fogs > white fogs.

VERY good mod, especially if you live out in the middle of nowhere or places where you see a lot of snow. It's cheap too. I never could understand why more manufacturers don't produce yellow fogs. Honestly this is probably the most useful mod for the drivability of these cars. Once I find some fog lights that I like for my car I will color them yellow, last couple times I just bought cheap yellow bulbs, but this is probably a better way to go about it.

i dunno whats so hard about cutting a circle piece of vinyl. It's like putting a I-phone clear protector on...takes all of a minute but to each his own :shrug:. I'm sure both work equally well.

when I get sick of it though...I'd rather the ease of peeling off vinyl

I never said it was hard... just more efficient to spray. Your still trying to put a flat vinyl piece over a rounded surface. It's not going to be the best choice to do the job in my opinion.

I don't know why this couldn't be in the other post. :help:

It helps to read a little before spewing out useless text in a post...

Just a heads up as I saw the closed post below about the yellow fog light mod...

is this the spray or film? I thought this yellow lamin-x was used

I PM'd him a long time ago about his fogs and I think he said he used multiple layers of film (not sure what kind) and yellow bulbs.

I never said it was hard... just more efficient to spray. Your still trying to put a flat vinyl piece over a rounded surface. It's not going to be the best choice to do the job in my opinion.

The face of the fog is not rounded it is flat. Leaving that little extra of film sticking over the edge (about 1/8") allows you to heat it up and form it over the side a little just enough to cover that radius. Like I said in the how-to you could then add another strip of yellow to cover the side of the lens or just black it out. I think both the spray and the vinyl will work good, I just didn't want to spray paint any of my parts.

Your still trying to put a flat vinyl piece over a rounded surface. It's not going to be the best choice to do the job in my opinion.
It's not exactly a new concept. Flat vinyl works quite well on curved surfaces.
FX_SPECX_Wrap2.jpg

Certainly the scale of the project provides certain challenges, but nothing the average DIYer can't handle. It's not rocket science.

The yellow bulbs alone aren't quite enough. Also, you still have the yellow lens even with the lights off, so you still get that look..... :shrug:. Most of the yellow bulbs I found were too high of a wattage and that would cause your fog lens to bubble and crack, I didn't want to take the chance.

Back