• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

about that how-to on yellow fog lights...

Tried Michael's they didn't have it either they had some other colors but not yellow......just went ahead and ordered some vinyl from ebay for $7 shipped :cool: but I still wanna find the spray It will probably last longer....:shrug:

lamin-x will last longer, hands down. That lamin-x vinyl is THICK. The paint will chip away with it being that low. IDK why you'd bother with spray when the vinyl is cheap, thick, easy to apply, and removable. I just don't understand the debate really :shrug:

also you can use dupli-color's metalcast. it's a anodized effect acts as a clear.also high gloss/heat resistant/very durable. i have had it on my car for awhile with no problem.

I wanted yellow fog lights also, so I just bought yellow fog light bulbs from BAT for $7.99ea, at night they are pure yellow & give a nice contrast without blocking any light that the spray & vinyl might; if thry do, I dont know.

But I understand this thread you all want your fog light covers to be yellow in the daytime as well.

I just thought I'd throw out what worked for me...

And a Q... Why does just my passenger side FL bulb burn out semmingly on a regular basis??? I said the hek with it & just started buying the cheap ones because of that.

I wanted yellow fog lights also, so I just bought yellow fog light bulbs from BAT for $7.99ea, at night they are pure yellow & give a nice contrast without blocking any light that the spray & vinyl might; if thry do, I dont know.

But I understand this thread you all want your fog light covers to be yellow in the daytime as well.

I just thought I'd throw out what worked for me...

And a Q... Why does just my passenger side FL bulb burn out semmingly on a regular basis??? I said the hek with it & just started buying the cheap ones because of that.

Yea , I ended up using the vinyl. Looks great should've listened from the beginning. And it doesn't really block any light output (that I've noticed) . Not sure why your bulb burns out you should check the volts its receiving.

lamin-x will last longer, hands down. That lamin-x vinyl is THICK. The paint will chip away with it being that low. IDK why you'd bother with spray when the vinyl is cheap, thick, easy to apply, and removable. I just don't understand the debate really :shrug:

One could argue that, but eh to each their own. I think the spray covers it better and is durable if you apply it properly with the right number of coats.

Check your fog light housing. I'm 95% confident you will find a hair-line crack that is allowing water in the housing, which shortens the life of your bulb. Especially if you happen to get water in there after the fog has been on and the bulb is hot, instant crack and pop.

One could argue that, but eh to each their own. I think the spray covers it better and is durable if you apply it properly with the right number of coats.

Check your fog light housing. I'm 95% confident you will find a hair-line crack that is allowing water in the housing, which shortens the life of your bulb. Especially if you happen to get water in there after the fog has been on and the bulb is hot, instant crack and pop.

Thanks appreciate the info! I bet it's the crack allowing water in.

also, not sure this needs to be said, but better safe than sorry. Make sure you arent touching the bulbs. The oils on your skin stick to it and burn on the surface of the bulb. That shortens the life of the bulb quite a bit as well.

also, not sure this needs to be said, but better safe than sorry. Make sure you arent touching the bulbs. The oils on your skin stick to it and burn on the surface of the bulb. That shortens the life of the bulb quite a bit as well.

Thanks, appreciate the input! But I def know that's not the cause. It's prolly got a small crack like that guy said & waters causing it.

Nokya yellow bulbs are great to use if you want the yellow light output. I have those in my car, some friend have them as well, and they are very bright still and maintain good light output an have a perfect amount of yellow appearance.

since this was brought back up, i have a question. are people wanting the yellow lens for looks are for functionality? and if it's for function wouldn't a 3000k HID kit perform better than the stock light and give the yellow tint?

since this was brought back up, i have a question. are people wanting the yellow lens for looks are for functionality? and if it's for function wouldn't a 3000k HID kit perform better than the stock light and give the yellow tint?

Yes they would. I don't fully understand this mod to be honest. Might as well go with HIDs.

I believe its in part that people wanted the IS300 yellow fog lamp look. from my understanding you can't get that with just HIDs. you the lens needs to also be tinted.

I have the 3000k hids in my car and they look good. On my last csvt I painted the fogs yellow with Krylon Glass paint and it look good as well. Hids are easier tho just plug and play and no need to dismount your fogs.

well.... technically speaking.... there is some debate whether yellow light is even advantageous in reduced visibility situations....

That being said, a yellow HID emits a much smaller spectrum of light color than an incandescent through a yellow filter, plus, for a fog.... producing a ton of light is counterproductive. One could just buy yellow coated bulbs too, but I think the point of the mod is to have the yellow colored lamps down there. Also, since the CRI of HID is so much smaller, you get less contrasting, which is one of the main benefits of yellow light IMO.

Here is a debate on HID planet concerning the whole yellow fog thing.... But I tend to disagree with some of the things the guy is saying against yellow fogs, because it seems to me he is focusing on the effects of yellow light under scotopic vision, and there is pretty much no way you would be operating purely under scotopic vision in any situation where you have enough light on to see the road. Plus, they also debate rayleigh scattering through fog and all that kinda stuff, but personally, it has always been my observation that there is less glare with yellow light, so I am inclined to believe that some of the information they are applying to this debate may not be addressing all the issues.

well.... technically speaking.... there is some debate whether yellow light is even advantageous in reduced visibility situations....

That being said, a yellow HID emits a much smaller spectrum of light color than an incandescent through a yellow filter, plus, for a fog.... producing a ton of light is counterproductive. One could just buy yellow coated bulbs too, but I think the point of the mod is to have the yellow colored lamps down there. Also, since the CRI of HID is so much smaller, you get less contrasting, which is one of the main benefits of yellow light IMO.

Here is a debate on HID planet concerning the whole yellow fog thing.... But I tend to disagree with some of the things the guy is saying against yellow fogs, because it seems to me he is focusing on the effects of yellow light under scotopic vision, and there is pretty much no way you would be operating purely under scotopic vision in any situation where you have enough light on to see the road. Plus, they also debate rayleigh scattering through fog and all that kinda stuff, but personally, it has always been my observation that there is less glare with yellow light, so I am inclined to believe that some of the information they are applying to this debate may not be addressing all the issues.

IMO yellow makes a huge difference for the distance i can see in foggy weather

So my whole idea of putting the fog lights in is for fog, I realized after the first/snow/fog rain that the hid's i have in my low beams really limit my visibility and it just looks like a wall of white light... i wanted yellow for my fogs so i could drive with just my fogs in foggy weather

From what i understand there are driving lights (white lights) and fog lights (yellow lights)

IMO yellow makes a huge difference for the distance i can see in foggy weather

So my whole idea of putting the fog lights in is for fog, I realized after the first/snow/fog rain that the hid's i have in my low beams really limit my visibility and it just looks like a wall of white light... i wanted yellow for my fogs so i could drive with just my fogs in foggy weather

From what i understand there are driving lights (white lights) and fog lights (yellow lights)

I would tend to agree.... I feel yellow gives a little better visibility....

BUT

I should make one thing clear. The "fog" lights on a contour don't really have the optics to be real fogs anyways, they are just glorified driving lights. The reason they are functional at all is because they are so low down.

Back